Author Topic: Northern Pike = Jackfish & Pickerel = Walleye  (Read 12931 times)

Nanook_ette

Northern Pike = Jackfish & Pickerel = Walleye
« on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:59 PM »
Im a bit confused here on this site... There are a lot of pictures of Pike also known as Jackfish or Northern Pike being called Pickerel??

A pickerel is the same as a walleye...
and a Northern Pike is the same as a Jackfish.....

How come Jackfish's are being called Pickerels on here?
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Northern Pike = Jackfish & Pickerel = Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2003, 06:21 PM »
No....A walleye is a walleye.(Stizostedion vitreum)

A pike is also called a "jack fish". (Esox lucius )

A pickerel is a pickerel. (Esox niger )

Nanook_ette

« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2003, 07:40 PM »

Okee dokee.... round here that Pickerel you got there is not a pickerel...  Maybe it has to do with location?? I will upload some pics A.S.A.P
But that Walleye... thats a pickerel... lol....
Im real confused now.. but here a Pickerel and a Walleye are the same thing......
That Jack looks exactly like your Pickerel.. ???

What is the difference between these fish then?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2003, 05:55 AM »
The difference is they are different species.  ;) They both belong to the same Genus, 'Esox'(like lake trout and brook trout both belong to the same genus, 'Salvelinus'), but they are a little different. Pickerel don't grow as large as pike, just like pike don't grow as large as Musky. Chain Pickerel (the picture I posted), have a dark, almost balck chain like pattern with a goldish/greenish background. Northern pike have a grayish background with white spots.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2003, 06:03 AM »
Up in Canada it is a Pickerel (less Quebec where it is a Dore) in the States we call them walleye or walleye pike (this lends itself to some locals calling them pike, whitch becomes confusing with Northern Pike).
It is all in the local Geography.  Another example is the fish we call Bullhead here in NY.  I lived in Vt for 5 years and they called them Bull Pout.  Working on a fisheries project one summer in NH, they called them Horn Pout?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2003, 01:10 PM »
HaHaHaHa,  This fight is visited every time someone pulls a fish through the hole at our shack.  This is always my argument: A walleye is a walleye is a walleye.  A pickerel (chain pickerel) does not exist in our region.  I usually say that a pickerel is the same shape as a pike but has the yellow colour of a walleye. (precisly as pictured by Esox)

This is challenged every single time.  One guy insists that since some people have incorrectly called walleye pickerel for many many years he can call a walleye a pickerel.  My response.......... Call it a pickerel if you want......... but you're still wrong!!!

P.S.  At the shack this is all in fun.  If you can't have a fun argument with good friends over a few pints then what's the point!

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 05:20 PM »
What is great is when you have all 3 kinds of fish in one area. Some one will have the correct I.D.  Esox you the man nice pics ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2003, 08:23 PM »
I do know this....On Lake Champlain there is no size limit on Chain Pickerel and a 18" minimum on walleye. If I have a 17" walleye in the bucket and the boys in green stop to see me, I can call it whatever I want, but I'm going to get a ticket. ;)

Call it what you want...just get out there and go fishing.  ;D

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:43 PM »
 Hey Esox,
          What kind of digital camera do you have? THose are probably the clearest pictures of seen yet. I want to get me a nice digital that will take clear pictures like yours.
                            Preacherman
TEAM  PA.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2003, 09:15 PM »
Preacher_man,
Those pics are actually down graded to save size. The full quality pics are much better. Those pics were taken with a HP Photosmart 318. To be honest, I did not like that camera very well. I went through 4 of them in the warrenty period. It did not have any optical zoom and had very slow memory (had to wait 10-15 seconds between pictures). That and HP's service was not good at all. To the point I won't ever buy another one of their products. I lost that camera this summer...it's on the bottom of Long Island Sound. Since then I replaced it with a Minolta DImage 414, and I'm MUCH happier with that unit. More features, better quality in every way possible.

What kind of money are you looking to spend?

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2003, 12:40 PM »
 I heard you can get a pretty nice digital for around 200,so I guess if I could get one for that I'd be happy.
                              Preacherman
TEAM  PA.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2003, 07:51 PM »
To confuse things even more, some of the grocery stores around here sell yellow pike...walleye!  Blue pike = an bluish colored walleye (still found in Canada but supposedly fished out to extinction in the great lakes).

And...there are other species of pickerel, the grass and red fin pickerel...not sure exactly of the red fin name, I have to research and get back to you on that).  I don't have the genus/species of them handy.

Esox, good work on your clarifications!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:07 PM »
The grass pickeral and the redfin are both real small I think. I have only seen on pickerel and that was a grass pickerel in AL. Funny thing was, I had asked my dad ten minutes earlier if he had ever caught a pickerel. He said no. Strange how things work sometimes.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:34 PM »
Fat Bot...Thank you.

Preacher_Man,
I got my Minolta S414 about 6-8 months ago and the lowest price was about $325. I just did a search on mysimon.com and found you can get it for about $260 including shipping. If you go that route you need to get AA NiMH (I recommend 2 sets 8 batteries total), a charger, and a bigger memory card. The camera comes with a 16meg card, but that is about useless. I have a 256meg in mine and that is all I have needed so far. A large JGP pic on this camera is a little over 1 meg, and the TIFF pictures are about 10-12 meg each. If you have a Costco around, they have great deals on rechargable batteries and memory cards.

I did a lot of research at the time I got mine and all reports said it was about the best bang for the buck out there. I've been very happy with it so far.

Here is the mysimon link... http://mysimon.search.com.com/search?pgtpid=4012&editionid=4&tag=ksrch.srform&qt=Minolta+s414&cn=5

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:40 PM »
Nanookette:
Im originally from northern ontario which is close to you and we called walleye =pickeral too. And if someone called a walleye, "a walleye" then we would say "what are you? an american". But the rest of canada (and the states)knows a walleye is a walleye and a pickeral is a kind of pike.
So when someone pulls a walleye out of the hole and yells "look at this pickeral" you can laugh to yourself that they just dont know fish.

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:47 AM »
as a kid raised in nw ontario, we referred to walleye as pickerel-(walleye to us was an american thing)-its hard to break the habit of calling them pickerel. pike regardless of species is pike  :'(

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:04 PM »
It's always interesting to hear the different names people from different parts of the country call fish.  Here in southern Mich, NE. IND.   we call them walleye or walleyed Pike. ( to some people anything with teeth is a "pike".)Northern pike are pike or just "northern".  We don't have chain pickeral, but we do have grass pike( they only get about 12" long).  Down south bluegill are "brim", rockbass are "goggleyed perch". The list goes on and the confusion continues.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern Pike = Jackfish & Pickerel = Walleye
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:13 AM »
A pickerel is not the same as a walleye and i dont know what a jackfish is unless your talking about jackperch where do u get your info ive fished pike my whole life on lake ontario and im not getting what your saying?

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:07 AM »
In Maine a pickerel is a pickerel and a pike is a pike. We have no walleye so I guess it less confusing.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:54 AM »
A pickerel is not the same as a walleye and i dont know what a jackfish is unless your talking about jackperch where do u get your info ive fished pike my whole life on lake ontario and im not getting what your saying?

Why the hell did you revive a 5 year old thread? Just to add your "$0.02"?
Get the flag!

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:10 AM »
ha, too funny...I gotta bump this one
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Bob D has it right.

In some parts of its range, the walleye is also known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is related neither to the pikes nor to the pickerels (which are actually a species of pike called the chain pickerel), both of which are members of the family Esocidae.

taken from wikipedia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.