Author Topic: Ice fishing safety!  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ice fishing safety!
« on: Sep 09, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Yesterday while nosing thru one of those salvage bargin places (in Maine its Mardens) I came across some combination Carbon Monoxide and explosive gas alarms for 9 dollars!  Made by first alert  
 Every Ice shack portable and perminant needs one!    OK heres the secret..... if you get the one in the photo  model gc01 it has a removable wall wart so you can place it in a better place than your outlet.  remove that and you Can ATTACH IT TO YOUR 12 VOLT SYSTEM    the vex battery or how ever you bring in 12 volts   it is small so fit anywhere!   I put a cigarette lighter plug on it   the Positive side is the wire that has the writing on it  (Check yours with a volt ohm meter)  put it at your normal head level in the shack   you'll be protected from propane, carbon monoxide( CO ) methane  (gotta check that out)  lol    Ill be testing this with my regular cal gasses and compairing to my real meters)  but for 9 bucks   you cant loose    you can even use it in your campers  for those that don't already have them
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing safety!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2007, 03:34 PM »
great find and a great idea,especially if you stay out on the shanty for long periods of time. i'll be looking at Ocean State Job Lots.
kjb

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2007, 04:12 PM »
This is a good idea. It should be a must for those people that sleep overnight in their shacks.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:18 AM »
This is a good idea. It should be a must for those people that sleep overnight in their shacks.
not just the overnighters   Co poisoning sneeks up on ya quick!  I take my grandson all the time  and I wont take a chance on it with him

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:51 AM »
not just the overnighters   Co poisoning sneeks up on ya quick!  I take my grandson all the time  and I wont take a chance on it with him

True. I agree with you completely. What I meant was it should be an absolute must for people sleeping overnight in their shacks. When awake and fishing, a person will usually have a window or zipper cracked open for a little ventilation. Symptoms like headache, burning eyes, drowsiness, burning sinuses, or just simply not thinking straight, will be noticed and should be a sign for fresh air. All cases i have ever heard about where people died, were poisoned in their sleep.

And this is not just a problem with propane heaters. I heard of a case where a family was poisoned by carbon monoxide caused by a wood burning stove in their home.

There as been two or three times where I felt such symptoms, and I opened the flap on the shack for a few minutes. Maybe I was just getting tired from not catching anything but I didn't take chances. The cold blast of beautiful winter air perked me right up though.
You are right,  bad ice isn't the only danger out there to watch out for.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:34 PM »
a good idea... but what ever happened to the good ol' days when the shanties were so drafty that you couldn't be gassed if parked your running truck in the shack?!?!  But I agree, safety first.  I work in Prudhoe Bay as a mechanic in the oil fields and I wear a H2S (hydrogen Sulfide) detector all of the time.  Better safe than dead.

Icy Mike

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2007, 07:11 PM »
thanks for the tip - I'll be looking into getting one for sure.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2007, 02:12 PM »
well folks it works great with a cigarette lighter plug on it   attached to a lighter socket off the vexilar battery posts   

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:01 AM »
That ought to work. I doubt you will see any battery drain. It cant use that much juice.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:30 AM »
That out to work. I doubt you will see any battery drain. It cant use that much juice.
less than 400mv

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:29 AM »
bump

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:47 AM »
a good idea... but what ever happened to the good ol' days when the shanties were so drafty that you couldn't be gassed if parked your running truck in the shack?!?!  But I agree, safety first.  I work in Prudhoe Bay as a mechanic in the oil fields and I wear a H2S (hydrogen Sulfide) detector all of the time.  Better safe than dead.

Icy Mike

Wow I am so super jealous... I work in michigan as a lease operator. How are things up in prudhoe bay? Amazingly busy? I looked into trying to get a job up there and just fly back and forth.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Great idea !
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.