Author Topic: Is a flasher really needed?  (Read 4049 times)

Wingsfan

Is a flasher really needed?
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 07:09 AM »
I've ice fished off and on for about 20yrs, depending on where I'm living at the time.  (Military)  Since I've found this site 3 weeks ago.  I've been on everday reading all the information I can. I've been amazed at the electronics people are using flashers, cameras etc.  I mainly set up tip ups for pike and then mess around jigging for painfish while waiting for a FLAGGG!!!  I guess I'm wondering how useful a flasher would be?  I've never fished with one nor fished with anyone that has one.  Just looking for some opinions.  Thanks

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Is a flasher really needed?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 08:27 AM »
No a Flasher is not really needed... If you are very good or very lucky you don't need one.  If you are just an average ice fisherman like me the flasher will turn you into an above average ice fisherman, who never gets skunked.  Next time you are on the ice check out someones Flasher and see if it is right for you.                  DaFish

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2003, 08:37 AM »
In my opinion it's another tool. By having a flasher you will be able to see depth, dropoffs,weeds,etc.. As you are jigging you will be able to see what the fish want that day - fast action or slow action. You'll be able to know if they want to chase the lure by pulling it away or if they want it deadsticked. You will be able to see if a hole has fish or if you should move. It's not "absolutely" necessary but it will increase your catch rate. ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 11:50 AM »
I agree with DaFish. Find someone using one and you will learn a lesson :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2003, 12:01 PM »
perchchaser,
Years ago I had a flasher.  I lost the transducer one trip, and found out that it would cost almost as much to replace the transducer as I had paid for the flasher in the first place.  I decided that I had this ole icefishing thing all figgered out, and I'd be okay without one.  Well the next couple of trips that I made were to lakes that I wasn't familiar with, and I went home almost empty handed both times.  I decided right then and there that I would get another fishfinder.

I use a high end LCD, not a flasher now, but either way I would recommend that you get some first hand experience with a good LCD or flasher and see what everybody is talking about.

I doubt that you will be able to live without one for any length of time after you see what it can do for your fishing success.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 10:42 PM »
I have had an FL-8 for 4 years and just bought an FL-18. I feel they do help you catch more fish. But not necessarily more perch. I fish Northern SD sloughs some and when I have to walk out, and its a halfmile to the spot and a halfmile back at the end of the day, I dont carry my vex. Perch in that area are nose to the bottom. There arent any weeds and no dropoffs and no structure. Just tons of scuds that grow big fat perch. But i must like them or i wouldnt have bought another one, huh?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 04:56 AM »
Perchchaser,
I do just about the same thing you do....fish for pike,but play around with panfish while waiting for the flags. I don't use a flasher, but to be honest I really don't care if I catch any panfish. I just can't see spending all that money for something I would not get much use out of. I generally fish lakes I know, and it I don't know then I have lake maps to get me in the right area. I carry a weight on a string that is marked every 5 feet to find the breaks.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2003, 11:22 AM »
i have rigged one.......and while i fish places i know for the most part it is kinda cool to see a fish rise for a lure.  the daughter loves it.....a bit like playstation.  i do move around from hole to hole and if i see no fish i don't even fish it.  the only time it seems to come in really handy is when the fish are super fussy and you can see there are fish there and it gives you confidence in the spot.  also.......not that i have tried this yet but i hear they are very effective for lakers through the ice.  i am going to get one this winter.......lol
BUD

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 01:54 PM »
It really comes down to your individual preference.  What kind of fisherman are you?  If you fish primarily tipups, then no, a flasher probably is not a wise investment.  

The consensus with most "new school" ice anglers, however, is that a flasher is probably the single most valuable tool that you can possibly have with you on the ice.  I consider my FL-18 as essential a piece of gear as a rod, bait, auger, or shelter.  They are all essential, because they all work together in a system designed to maximize my efficiency and fish catching ability on the ice.    

I went out the other day with my partner for the Wisconsin Trap Attack to a remote lake here in northern Wisconsin.  I was in such a hurry, I actually forgot my FL-18!  Left it charging in the basement!!!  In the past, I've gone back and gotten it, but this time, I was on the end of a 4 mile logging road plowing through 12 inches of heavy snow.  I didn't know if I was going to get back out once, let alone come back in and out again!!!  So, I fished blind all day.  Yeah, I caught fish, but it's an excercise in frustration.  Once you get used to being able to determine your bait's depth exactly, see fish, see the fish's reaction to your bait and presentation, see what the bottom content is, find weeds, edgelines, hard to soft bottom transistions, etc.  it's very difficult to simply drill a hole and drop a bait down without knowing exactly what is going on.  

So, is a flasher essential?  Depends on what level you want to fish at.

Just my 0.02

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:18 AM »
its not needed to catch fish. for your applications, you might not need one. but if you go fishing for walleye trout even perch you will be supprised how much it will help. My father and i had never used one before until last winter when we bought a Zercom clearwater pro.  this thing is  amazing! its made my catch rate go up by about 5 times(then i started using swedish pimples that made it go up about 3 times w/o it) i will NEVER go out ice fishing or even fishing off my boat(made a bracket to fit on my 14 ft. alum. boat) with out it.we got ours for 180 bucks on ebay and it was worth it! i recomend getting one, but you do not need one to catch fish.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:18 PM »
I have to say a flasher is the best thing you can do to increase your catch. And I mean a flasher, not an LCD unit. LCD units do not function well in cold and require far more maitenence. Plus they do not show your lure as well.
Not to say you can't catch fish and have fun without one, but the flasher will make the difference between a slow day and a decent one, and a fast day and a great one. You need to see the depth, your lure, and what level the fish are holding at, and how they react.
Doug Stange really is right when he says you are fishing blind without a flasher.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:56 PM »
Mackdaddy21,

I'll match my LCD against any flasher on the planet, any day.  It shows lure, swivel, jig, hook, or bait.  And the Vex is supposed to be given new brushes every 4 years or so, and a new motor after 10.  My first LCD is still going after 12 years, and my second one still runs after 9.  My last one is going on 5 years now with NO maintenance.  

As for cold weather, Lowrance rates their LCD screens to 20 below.  At that temperature, I'm either in a shanty, or on my way home.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2004, 12:00 AM »
I have to agree with Fishrmn on that one. High end lcd will perform as well as or better than most flashers.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:44 PM »
My lcd isn't high end at all,$100 i think.
But have used it many times on the ice with no problems. I just had to make a piece for the transducer to sit level on the water.
tip down.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:48 PM »
Wouldnt leave home without it  

yeat i fish smaller lakes and ponds  which i feel it helps greatly

if i lived on one of the great lakes or on champlain or something I wouldnt need one because from my experiece if the fish are there they bit  and bit hard

but fishing finicky smaller lakes/pond from perch/crappie/gills its an awesome tool   Last year I used my buddies Zercom  this November I bought a Vex fl-18 because I knew i couldnt live without one

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2004, 03:26 PM »
You guys should bring your high end LCD units to a Trap Attack Open ice fishing tournament.  Go to ..com to find out more info on times/places.  The best of the best fish these tournaments.  Put your LCD's up against these guys and their flashers. Every one of the best in the world uses a flasher over an LCD - wonder why that is....    

richstick,

Everyone used to know that the earth was the center of the universe.  And everyone used to think that the earth was flat.  I used to think that flashers were better than LCDs myself.  I still think they are better than cheap LCDs.  But they can't do what a high end LCD can dol

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:00 PM »
I dont like how the LCD shows the fish going across the the screen, its not in real-time. My vexilar shows my lure and the fish moving in real-time and not with a delay.I use to use a bottom line fishin buddy but the screen would freeze up on it all the time from the cold and the batteries would die real quick, the vex just keeps on running with no problems, I love it! :'(

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:47 PM »
I dont like how the LCD shows the fish going across the the screen, its not in real-time. My vexilar shows my lure and the fish moving in real-time and not with a delay.I use to use a bottom line fishin buddy but the screen would freeze up on it all the time from the cold and the batteries would die real quick, the vex just keeps on running with no problems, I love it! :'(

Exactly.  Bottom Line Fishin' Buddy = cheap LCD.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:43 PM »
I dont think that it is needed to catch fish but I believe it helps you when you fish many different spots on a lake or just different lakes in general.

mossduck

« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2004, 02:47 PM »
I dont like how the LCD shows the fish going across the the screen, its not in real-time. My vexilar shows my lure and the fish moving in real-time and not with a delay.

Most mid to high end lcd now have "Flasher" area on the right hand side of the screen that fixes the "Real Time" problem.

The bestway if you want "Real Time" info is to use an Aqua View set down a hole 3-6 feet away.  Then you can see exactly what type of fish and exactly how they react to every twitch.  (of course this does not work as well at night or in heavily stained water)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.