New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: wasted fish  (Read 3355 times)

Offline grt77

• IceShanty Rookie
wasted fish
« on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:47 PM »
i fished a local lake today and came across a group of holes that had small perch and crappie laying all over the ice! These guys were real slobs, i started to pick up there garbage then realized there was $h!t in one of the bags,which explained all the toilet paper all over.But why would someone throw aprox. 2 dozen fish on the ice instead of putting them back to grow up allittle. I picked up the fish and many of them swam away as soon as they hit the water so they hadnt been their long, the seagulls had a feast on the rest.Besides p!$$!ng me off it makes me sick to see how some people have no respect for our natural resources,environment,public image as responsible sportsman.It only takes one idiot to make a bad impression on the rest of us, some people came by walking their dogs and i was embarased to be in the area.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: wasted fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Yeah, that's a bunch of BS. But on a positive side, I have seen a lot less of this going on than in years past. Maybe some people are starting to realize that the small ones will get bigger.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:03 AM »
I've been seeing this a lot lately and it p@#$%s me off. guys are leaving perfectly good, and sometimes big, pumpkinseed on the ice instead of throwing them back or keeping them. these are the same slobs that are culling small perch and stuffing them down a hole at the end of the day and covering it with snow. if its too small for you or you don't want it, PUT IT BACK!!!! you're making us all look bad. >:( >:( >:(
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Bassfishin1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin Till The Day I Die!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:54 AM »
I agree. They will grow.
Its Just A Way Of Life, Some People Just Dont Understand.

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Walking off Canadarago one evening and came across small perch left at the holes..really P#%%^d me off! Even my 13 yr old boy was disgusted! :-\
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Its about ignorance, selfishness and sheer stupidity.  Education and reinforcement is truly needed, especially education.

The precipts of conservation are rarely taught, and through lack of respect (in all aspects) do these things truly propogate. 

We can all do our part to improve things.  Speak up and address the issues when you see it happen.  If you do it nicely, you'll find that many are receptive.  Those that aren't warrant an educational experience provided by your friendly neighborhood ECO.

A great model to go by is found in Erie County and the partnership we have cultivated between sportsmen and women and our regional ECOs.  Credit goes to our Law Enforcement Committee and especially the dedicated hard work of Lt. Tom Scott.  Wish we had more like him, as every ECO in Erie County is a positive reflection on him. 

We need to do more in this area across every county and region.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Some people (so called fishermen) think that thinning the perch or gill population will make the perch and gill fisheries get larger in size by reducing the competition.  These are the guys that never went to any fishing seminars or learned from any real fishermen the true facts of the sport.  Matter of fact they don't even know how to use common sense.  Little fish do grow into big fish, and the little ones serve as excellent food for the bigger ones.

perch chacer

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2007, 05:13 PM »
same goes for marking holes
WHYdo you need to mark a hole with anything besides a mound of snow or slush?
i can understand if you are comeing back to the spot the next day or two and have all intentions of picking the s%$t up when your realizing your time is up there, but why leave cups and cans there at all or any garbage at that
CARRY ON CARRY OFF              PLEASE       
THANK YOU
now for the topic    just put them back unless your bringin them home  PLEASE
                             THANK YOU

Offline stickyfingerdpuppeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:54 PM »
I heard that someone left a bunch of small fish on the ice to rot and the warden was asking around trying to find out who the slob was.This was at either burtis or mayville.The trash iv picked up is a sad sight pepsi bottles ect.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:59 PM »
There were guys doing this on Sodus a couple of years ago.  The had keepers in their bucket and a ton of dinks on the ice.  They ended up getting tickets for being over their limits.  I can't stand slobs.  I picked up a bunch of beer bottles, cans, propane cylinders and wrappers off the ice a couple of weeks ago.

Offline outdooradventureman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:20 AM »
I am never surprised to see trash out on the ice. I do pick it up and take it home - much to the dismay of my fishing partners.

I don't see to many easy answers, as it is a refelection on the way you were raised. If your parents taught you that YOU aren't the center of the universe, then you care about others.  - and trash and wasting fish / small game / deer

I think it was Merle Haggard who sang a song that shows it .... "The roots of my raising run deep"

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:36 AM »
I agree with you fellow fishermen. Fish have to be small to get to be BIG. So put the little ones back and besides if you where hooked in the lip you wouldn't bite again for awhile anyways.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:31 AM »
Young or old there,TRUE SLOBS

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2007, 09:54 AM »
its people like this that give our sport a bad name. and people want to close down lakes for ice fishing. i know that down on otsego lake they thought about closing it down for this very reason, people keeping short fish, too many fish, and garbage. truely sad.

steve

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2007, 10:59 AM »

To all that read this thread:  Listen to "DoctariAFC, the part about calling you local ECO, he or she may not catch them but I believe that the patrols in the area will increase. You would be surprised what some surveillance and a spotting scope will produce !!!!!  At least they are aware of the problem and location !!!!   DO IT !!!!!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Probably some drunk A-HOLES...  some people just don't give a s**t

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2007, 04:01 PM »
That gives new meaning to the term "brown bagging" it.   :sick:

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where do they think the bigger fish come from?
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2007, 04:09 PM »
   Sure shows how stupid they are.    Oh but if i let the fish go back down the hole it will bite my hook again..  Dont know how many times i have heard that.  I myself have  called the authorities on  a few people that i  saw do this more than once.  What do they think the fish stork  brings the bigger fish?  As for the crap in a bag  man what a slob P.O.S..   he  probally would have been wearing it if i  had seen him leave it.   Frickin braindead morons
*REMOVED*

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:32 PM »
I saw this happen recently as well. There were about nine eight inch perch in on the side of public parking lot where we park, I couldnt believe it!! Ipicked them up and put them in a bag for disposal, just what we need for the anti's to see this kind of stuff and how wasteful, there's still meat to be had from an eight inch perch!

Scum bags!!!!!!! :tipup:

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Think of all the certified minnows we will be WASTING by following the current 7 day receipt rule! After all they are FISH too and worse yet ones we PAID for!!
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2007, 05:11 PM »
The minnows aren't really wasted...  the seagulls get to eat them..   >:(

Offline gpn50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get out of the chair!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Here goes!!!      I have no problem leaving small fish on the ice, have done so many times. I usually fish remote ponds and lakes and have done this on multiple occasions. These places often receive little or no fishing pressuer and some (not all) have many fish but are severely stunted ( perch and crappies mostly). I have fed many gulls and other animals and have no regrets. I do not believe for a single moment that no other fisherman does this!!!  That said.......
I would not do this at a lake that is heavily fished or a lake where other people other than fisherman would use for obvious reasons. We all should strive to present a positive picture to those that enjoy the outdoors but do not fish.
Know this before you pass judgement on me.................... .........
I have called you no names or insulted you.
I have respect for your opinion even though I disagree with parts of it.
I NEVER leave trash or garbage and have picked up after others and most of us have.
I have been to many seminars and have discussed this very subject with those in this field (fish biologists) and have had some agree with this practice and some that do not!!
I believe nature should be respected and held in the highest regard, as I believe I do!!!
I have seen people like some of the ones you have described, drunks, slobs or whatever and believe they are but a small part of our numbers but do create a considerable  negative opinion to the rest of us. Perhaps this is why I stay off the main lakes and ponds and Hike In!!!
In any case, enjoy the outdoors, leave it better than the way you found it.
IMO!!!!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Wow....  sorry buddy... :-X

Offline Gotalimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep moving till you find em!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:37 PM »
Here goes!!!      I have no problem leaving small fish on the ice, have done so many times. I usually fish remote ponds and lakes and have done this on multiple occasions. These places often receive little or no fishing pressuer and some (not all) have many fish but are severely stunted ( perch and crappies mostly). I have fed many gulls and other animals and have no regrets. I do not believe for a single moment that no other fisherman does this!!!  That said.......
I would not do this at a lake that is heavily fished or a lake where other people other than fisherman would use for obvious reasons. We all should strive to present a positive picture to those that enjoy the outdoors but do not fish.
Know this before you pass judgement on me.................... .........
I have called you no names or insulted you.
I have respect for your opinion even though I disagree with parts of it.
I NEVER leave trash or garbage and have picked up after others and most of us have.
I have been to many seminars and have discussed this very subject with those in this field (fish biologists) and have had some agree with this practice and some that do not!!
I believe nature should be respected and held in the highest regard, as I believe I do!!!
I have seen people like some of the ones you have described, drunks, slobs or whatever and believe they are but a small part of our numbers but do create a considerable  negative opinion to the rest of us. Perhaps this is why I stay off the main lakes and ponds and Hike In!!!
In any case, enjoy the outdoors, leave it better than the way you found it.
IMO!!!!

??? I'm pretty sure that in nys any fish that are not immediately returned to the water count towards your daily limit. Correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:39 PM »

Correct, any fish not released immediately without harm is part of your limit.

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:43 PM »
hopefully they will get caught one day and have their license taken
wishful thinking im afraid though
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline gpn50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get out of the chair!!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Correct, any fish not released immediately without harm is part of your limit.
[/

Agreed!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.