Author Topic: Vexilar in Saltwater??  (Read 1482 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Vexilar in Saltwater??
« on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:15 PM »
During the summer I run a 31 Ft. Wellcraft in the ocean off Long Island.  I already have a Furuno color fishfinder, but want to try using My Vex as an alternate unit.  Is it safe to use the Vex in Saltwater???  How would I use the transducer??  Just float it alongside the boat as I'm drifting, or would it be necessary to attach it somehow to the hull??
How would the motion of the ocean affect my readings???
Anybody ever try this???

IceBalls

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Vexilar in Saltwater??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:18 PM »
you can get a different transducer for your boat...the only thing that may hold ya back depending on what youre fishing for is the max depth it will read is i beleive either 160' or 200' depending which model vex you have

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Vexilar sells kits with a mounting bracket and a mountable transducer to use in your boat. It is a fantastic summer unit too, and it will read correctly at high speeds unlike allot slow graphs. Of the saltwater issue, I have no idea.

http://www.vexilar.com/help/documents/tkit-in.html

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:22 PM »
Builditrite:  Is a separate transducer NECESSARY, or just an option???  Will the standard icefishing transducer give accurate readings???  Dept is not an issue since most of my fishing is in 100 FOW or less.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Iceducers work in open water just fine, but they are a pain to deal with.

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2007, 08:12 AM »
During the summer I run a 31 Ft. Wellcraft in the ocean off Long Island.  I already have a Furuno color fishfinder, but want to try using My Vex as an alternate unit.  Is it safe to use the Vex in Saltwater???  How would I use the transducer??  Just float it alongside the boat as I'm drifting, or would it be necessary to attach it somehow to the hull??
How would the motion of the ocean affect my readings???
Anybody ever try this???

IceBalls
I use my Vex on my boat but only on fresh water.  I have the suction cup kit and transducer that mounts on the transom.  I don't think the Vex is recommended in a salt water environment.  You may wind up with corrosion on the electronics.

Tony

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2007, 11:46 AM »
for jigging bait?  I don't see the point of a vex in the salt....just my opinion of course  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.