Author Topic: Vexilar 18 battery life  (Read 3852 times)

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar 18 battery life
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I put the thing on the charger the day I got it and sat it there for 3 days before I removed it. Within 4 hours I was in the yellow and 6 hrs later I was in the orange. So as soon as I got home I stuck it on the charger for more than 12hrs and within 2hrs of use in the yellow and 3hrs orange.

I have experiance with the 12v batts used and never seen one discharge so fast. Anyone think maybe I should return the whole unit or ask for a new battery?
Anthony

pinche

Re: Vexilar 18 battery life
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:28 AM »
I dont think your supposed to charge it for longer than 18 hrs at a time. I dont have the indicator lights on mine . they say carge 2 hrs for every hour of use . It all in the parerwork that came with it.

flockshot

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:36 AM »
yeah over charging a battery will kill it quick. dont ever charge it longer then overnight i find.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I dont think your supposed to charge it for longer than 18 hrs at a time. I dont have the indicator lights on mine . they say carge 2 hrs for every hour of use . It all in the parerwork that came with it.

Funny it says to charge it for atleast 24hrs before the 1st use. In the past the same kind of cell I've left on the charger for a week with zero issues. I just found it funny the battery life was so low.

Thanks for the help! In any case I will probably ask the shop if they can swap the battery out.
Anthony

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Quote from: Vexilar
Charge times can range up to 48 hours for a completely dead battery. Do not
leave the charger connected to the battery for more than 48 hours after the light has come on to full
brightness.

The 3 day thing wasn't more than 48 hrs. The light didn't glow bright green either. :-\ I would honestly say I put it on around 9pm day one... on day 2... off the charger 6am day 3.

Quote from: Vex Battery Manual
Charge the battery after each use. Let it charge until the red LED lights to full brightness. Normal recharge times will be between 12 and 24 hours, but a completely dead battery will need over 48 hours to fully recharge. Do not let it charge for more than 72 hours after the light has come on to full brightness.

Here it says not to leave it on for more than 72 hrs after it turns bright green. Hmmmm maybe a bad battery or not fully charged.
Anthony

pinche

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:05 AM »
yeah from the sounds of it you have a newer model than I have I got the Fl-8

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Probably all I needed was an 8 or 12. I called the shop explained to them what the issues was and they said bring the battery back and they'll replace it. ;D
Anthony

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:23 AM »
My fl-18 battery took a while to charge the first time. I have the Genz pack so mine came with the 500mah charger. I bought the Vexilar
v-400 1amp charger, it works great and charges the batteries quickly. After 8 hours of use I can charge the battery back-up in about an hour.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:42 AM »
My fl-18 battery took a while to charge the first time. I have the Genz pack so mine came with the 500mah charger. I bought the Vexilar
v-400 1amp charger, it works great and charges the batteries quickly. After 8 hours of use I can charge the battery back-up in about an hour.

You know I have a few 12v chargers laying around from my RC days I will have to compare output! Thanks for the info!
Anthony

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2007, 02:46 PM »
When I first charged my new 8se it took about two days before the red light came on (indicating it was full).  It doesn't take nearly as long subsequent times (and I generally only use it about 6 hours at a time).  I just plug it in at night when I get home and it's ready in the morning.

My manual said charge it until the red adapter light comes back on, then remove the power within 72 hours of full charge.  But I have the crappy 500 mAH charger that comes with the 8se, so maybe this info doesn't pertain to you.  Might help someone else with this question though.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I put the thing on the charger the day I got it and sat it there for 3 days before I removed it. Within 4 hours I was in the yellow and 6 hrs later I was in the orange. So as soon as I got home I stuck it on the charger for more than 12hrs and within 2hrs of use in the yellow and 3hrs orange.

I have experiance with the 12v batts used and never seen one discharge so fast. Anyone think maybe I should return the whole unit or ask for a new battery?
I bought a FL8 in 93 sold it to a friend last year,still works for 8 hrs original battery

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:56 PM »

O.K I'm not tryin to be a smart ars but when you plugged it in did you turn the main power switch to "on"! The battery won't charge unless it's "on"! Not the dial switch on the x2 x4 etc...The main switch!
If thats not it I would say you got a bad battery or you killed it on the 3 day charge.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:21 AM »
O.K I'm not tryin to be a smart ars but when you plugged it in did you turn the main power switch to "on"! The battery won't charge unless it's "on"! Not the dial switch on the x2 x4 etc...The main switch!
If thats not it I would say you got a bad battery or you killed it on the 3 day charge.

If he has a pro pak or genz pak it doesn't have a switch. The leads go directly to the battery. My battery is 3 years old and it takes a full day of fishing and part of another to move the light at all. My charger has a red light on it that comes on when the battery is charged. The newer ones have a green light and the older ones don't have a light. It takes 12 to 16 hours to charge it when the battery indicator drops to the 50% mark. It still should last more than 4 hours.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Well took the battery back to Scheels and the new one with a little less than 12hrs charge lasted 5 hrs from green to yellow. :D
Anthony

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I'm begining to think my charger is bad! In 12hrs the battery didn't warm the battery at all.
Anthony

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:18 AM »
Which charger do you have?

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Red light/Green light type. Since the last post I just took it off because it never got warm and the green light NEVER came on. I think I am going to call Vexilar and ask for another one. Probably the reason the 1st battery wasn't charging. I have another one I can use in the mean time, but 1amp charger should be getting her done. ;)
Anthony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.