The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Thank God For Safety Spikes!!!!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Thank God For Safety Spikes!!!!
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:49 PM »
This morning I went and fished Lake Rico in E. Taunton. The ice was a solid 7-9 inches but the sun and wind were out for some of the day. 

This was the back part of the lake early morning

I didn't fish that way lol! The wind and sun opened that part of the lake up. But the wind was cold so I thought I was safe leaving WRONG!!! When I went through the opening I started to hear the ice cracking i mean cracking from my weight not normal stuff. it was still daylight around 3:30 and I was looking for thin ice over the weedbeds which is known to weaken first. So I was halfway across the middle of the lake when I noticed the weeds were everywhere and the ice was cracking. I started to walk very slow with short steps and looking for soft spots. This area is about 10' ft deep. BAM my left leg goes through! **censored** I think can lay down and get out of this then my right leg goes also. NOW I AM SCARED!!

So I lay there half in half out then I think my spikes are around my neck! I seperate them and start crawling towards the shore but the shore is open water CRAP!!! So I look and see there is still safe ice towards the middle I eventually get out and look like a dumbas@ to the guy on shore with his kid watching me fall through. Thanks for the hand buddy!!!   When I finally make it to shore he ask me what are those red things around my neck. I look at him and tell him they are my safety spikes for icefishing. he tells his son "see I told you the ice wasn't safe" I think to myself thanks for nothing you coward. He saw me fall through and watched me struggle to get out all the while preaching to his son the dangers of unsafe ice. You know what Man as I lay in the water I knew my gear was safe. funny part my sled was never in any danger as I lay there in the cold water my sled looked ok  :)  ;D

My fishing partner for the day! He was a baby seagull didn't even know how to eat a small minnow sat there pecking at it lol

So many little bass this guy was under 12" and ate my 4-6 inch shiner go figure lol

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline tibbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SUMTINWONG
Re: Thank God For Safety Spikes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:02 PM »
thank  god is right and your spikes. too close for comfort,glad your ok. i think i would have walked up to the guy and gave him a slap and proceed to my truck,thats just me thou.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:20 PM »
and you come home to post pics of your day on Iceshanty..... :tipup:

glad to hear everything turned out ok for you man.....good plug for the ice picks too....I wear mine, but have yet to use them....hopefully never have to... ;)

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Glad to hear your ok man...that sucks...i went through last season (too early and too anxious i guess) only my left leg went in though and got myself out ok...but had the spikes on just in case!!!  Guys should really get in the habit of wearing them ALL the time...even if your on 12 inches of black solid.

Oh yeah....let me guess...you catch your own bait???  nice colors
Fish when I can

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Thanx for posting .   Sometimes pride gets in the way of posting something like this but you rose above that.   I would like you to post every conceivable detail of the ice situation where you fell in.  Proximity to open water, thickness, distance from shore, amount of effort it took to get out, what kind of shape you are in...etc..etc.   I think we could all learn from what you went through (no pun intended).

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I'm glad you were able to make it off the ice safe and sound. I would have slapped that guy right infront of his son and asked him why he didn't help or at least call for help.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Glad your ok Keith. I went through last year with my wife while pulling my daughter in my sled. Sunny day with lots of weeds frozen in the ice. Always have to be carefull and prepared.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for post, I know I get careless from time to time. Good to be reminded those picks ain't gonna do me any good back in the truck when in floundering around in 33 degree water.

Offline GOT PIKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO GODS
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Good thing to keep a cool head, Way to go Keith...
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.........

Offline G.Horne

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:54 PM »
That sucks  :o glad your ok. We saw the open water from the road around the back of Rico. The cut heading into the back is always a scary spot .It never seems to freeze totally. I sometimes cross the front pond then hit the trail through the woods and it puts me right where I want to fish in the back pond.
I was on the ice today after work for an hour and the ice was 7" thick but the top 1"-2" were slush

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Thanks everyone really made me think. I should of left earlier in the day but the wind felt cold figured I was ok. But the first part of the lake was solid and the sun was melting the ice all day not much wind or shade there. my wife has been yelling at me all night now. Geesh shouldn't have told her this part of the fishing trip. She has been so worried because of the baby coming now I am getting yelled at "Because if you had drowned who would help raise the baby,I couldn't do it by myself" Sorry Honey lol I will be more careful. These things happen and I accept that part of the sport. So everyone be careful and enjoy the season or what is left of it. :)

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline the wizzard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:44 PM »
just checked the site and i heard of your near tragedy.sorry that that guy near you could'nt have been more helpful on your situation.
i can relate cuz i went through on long pond in lakeville on last saturday on my quad.
i had no danger,since i was at the shoreline but it still scared me knowing i could have drowned if it was out in the middle,which several people have since
went through.we are all done around here ice fishing i think after this weekend.the warming trend is here and there is no snow pack to protect the black ice we have here in s.e. mass. time to make trips to western mass.
that's my plan for the remainder of the season.
glad to hear you are OKAY!!!   ~~WIZZARD~~~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.