The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: togue technique  (Read 2810 times)

Offline dirtydan68

• IceShanty Rookie
togue technique
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I was planning on taking my son out togue fishing tomorrow, we've never caught one i was wandering if i could get some pointers or tips so we can land our first one.

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: togue technique
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:09 PM »
where are you from?

Offline dirtydan68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:16 PM »
lyman

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 03:26 PM »
check your PM's........... :tipup:

Offline tougeslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:16 PM »
smelts on the bottom and jigging with lures or bait
Let the dog run or the reels run?  Winters toughest dilemma!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:18 PM »
smelts on the bottom
ditto.......that's right OLBLUUUUU   I said SMELTS!!!!!!!   ;D ;D

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:49 PM »
id defiantly keep a hole for the jig rod, id try  mooselooks, get a variety. Bounce um off bottom, try a fillet of fish on the hook some times too, i have best luck 25- 35'

Offline goneicefishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • bring on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Nappi picked it out  ;D

so thats your wife huh     
jared

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I have never caught a fish on a sucker, but I guess they use them all the time for touge. I think that's what  the baitdealer should yell that after you pay him for some. SUCKER!!!!!! I'm still going to try, but I feel like a Homer Simpson. I hear there are all kinds of things you can do to a sucker to catch a touge. Jump on it and smash it then lay it on the bottom. Cut the tail half off or break the tail. Slice the guts open without killing the fish and let it swim around. Kill it two days before using it for bait so that it will have a smell. Hook it in the lip, eye or bung hole, that one should make peTa take notice. Oh yea, I forgot about the squirrel balls stuffing.
Steve

Offline goneicefishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • bring on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I have never caught a fish on a sucker, but I guess they use them all the time for touge. I think that's what  the baitdealer should yell that after you pay him for some. SUCKER!!!!!! I'm still going to try, but I feel like a Homer Simpson. I hear there are all kinds of things you can do to a sucker to catch a touge. Jump on it and smash it then lay it on the bottom. Cut the tail half off or break the tail. Slice the guts open without killing the fish and let it swim around. Kill it two days before using it for bait so that it will have a smell. Hook it in the lip, eye or bung hole, that one should make peTa take notice. Oh yea, I forgot about the squirrel balls stuffing.

lmao ;D  yea all good advice   but i have never caught a togue on a sucker either
jared

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:43 PM »
The winning fish 3 years ago for the Sebago Derby was caugth with a sucker.  i've caught plenty of togue using suckers.  I don't do anything to them either-just tell em' to go pick a fight with any togue that goes by and let them do the rest!
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline goneicefishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • bring on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:02 PM »
  I don't do anything to them either-just tell em' to go pick a fight with any togue that goes by and let them do the rest!

yea but the poor little fellows will need counseling after that     
i do hear that a lot of people do catch em on suckers   but i just never had had luck with them   i still always make sure that i keep a couple of big ones on the traps though    hoping to break that "not ever catching anything on them" thing someday     heck who knows maybe this is the year

jared

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:04 PM »
i love it when they pop as i smash them on the ice. ;D
lakertaker

Offline THREECAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I have had good results using suckers. I fish them right on bottom, and start with a live bait, then slice it open from behind the gils to the tail.
Togue hunt with their noses and a fesh cut bait will attract lake trout. If suckers are not available I also have had good luck with fresh river smelts (the big boys) cut and fished on bottom.

hope this help and good luck !!
He suggested the pike were probably placed by an angler dissatisfied with, or simply not up to, the challenges of fishing for trout or salmon.”

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Caught several nice togue last weekend fishing minnows (live) right on bottom.  Bottom to 1 foot.  I've caught togue jigging with a swedish pimple tagged with cut bait.  I've caught togue with suckers on bottom too.  Put a ten inch sucker on the bottom in 90' of water two years ago on Jordan Bay (Sebago).  "Something" lined my jacktrap and I fought it for about 20 minutes before my fluorocarbon 40# test leader broke.  Quite the exciting "almost" catch.  I've caught togue in various depths in the water column (Moosehead) fishing in 90 feet of water, seeing a fish at 50 and catching a togue jigging.  Generally speaking, traps should be set for the bait to be on or just above the bottom.    I also rig my 30 lb line to a quality swivel, attach a 6 - 8 foot leader and use Eagle claw snelled hooks, size 4 or sometimes smaller depending on the bait I'm using.  Split shot usually goes about 14" above the bait.    I know there are many in the Maine board much more knowledgeable than I concerning catching these fish.  Hope you catch some!
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:58 PM »
"Something" lined my jacktrap and I fought it for about 20 minutes before my fluorocarbon 40# test leader broke.   various !
Hoppes
are you serious?  40lb test  ???

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:01 PM »
are you serious?  40lb test  ???

Don't even think about it Ben!!! you will never stand a chance with something that big :o

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Don't even think about it Ben!!! you will never stand a chance with something that big :o
you'll be right there to help me  ;D

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:21 PM »
you'll be right there to help me  ;D

That I will!!!!

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:22 PM »
and I'll be taking the pictures.... >:D

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Yeah, 40 lb test Ben.  Was prefishing for the tourney.  I've posted the story before, when I got to my trap it was already lined, the line was like piano wire.  I knew I had heavy gear on the trap (4/0 octopus hook) and thought for sure I'd be landing one of those huge lakers that show up occasionally.  I'd finally get about 10 yards of line in and it would take it all back despite anything I could do, pretty exciting for quite a while.  Few people came over to watch.  Better a week before the tourney than day of!   :o 
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.