New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: cabela's shanty  (Read 2117 times)

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cabela's shanty
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:18 PM »
has anyone seen or bought a shaty from cabela's that you have to add plywood, hinges and screws to? borrowed a friends this past weekend and was impressed. fairly easy to set up by yourself and roomey. so i went on-line and ordered on for $90, saved $30. so my question to any one that has one is how do you have yours set up (rod holders, runners, seats and stuff)? looking for helpful ideas that might be of use thanks in advance

steve

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cabela's shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:42 PM »
25 looks and noboby has or seen one?

Offline sunshine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:47 PM »
I guess I'm #35. Only have seen them in the catalog.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:48 PM »
well at least someone has seen one somewhere :)

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:53 PM »
i think i seen them on ebay ive never been to a cabelas yet were getting one in 08 only 15 miles from were i live thats trouble if you get my drift the one in pa is 2-21/2 hours from me depending on trafic but the one i seen said shanty kit so thats probaly the same thing and they had hillary ones that looked like a tent it said it had two holes for fishing 8ft x10ft and they were good priced aswell

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:56 PM »
thanks bayonne. i saw those on e-bay also, they seemed to be alttle diff. thoug. thanks

steve

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:00 PM »
thanks willybilly i already bought one i was just wondering if anyone has pimped theres out or found something that works better than something else. thanks

steve

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:20 PM »
 I bought one years ago and I still have it.    For the price they are roomy , easy to warm up, but you want to put some type of shelf brackets around the corners [ on the wood in side] to keep the 3/4 inch holes from blowing out in high winds.             I made a sled to pull it on , I got skis at a garage sale for $3.00 And Have a platform 6-8'' above [ For deeper snow situations],    They aren't easy to move after set up but over all  You might like it for a couple years.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:20 AM »
thanks wizard i already had planned on putting it on some type of runner to move it around better.

steve

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:44 AM »
You asked but may not like the answer. There are other posts on IC that say the same thing you'll hear from me. You'll spend another $70/$80+ on materials because it takes two pieces of plywood (which warps once against the wet ice for long periods)to make the floor (plans are also incorrect) and then $35-$40 for a sled; so now you're up to $200 and still have only a 150 denier material against 500 denier on the good shanties that are on sale for maybe $50 to $100 more and set up or take down in about one minute and are truly portable with their own sled. The windows are small and flimsy. Try pulling the Cabela's through heavy snow and you'll really be cussing it for being so awkward. Hope you have a good size vehicle to haul the shanty, 5' by 3' folded, and sled plus gear. Plus the frame will kink on you when trying to set it up in heavy wind. Once set up its nearly impossible to move. Reinforce the holes for the poles or in wind they will split out when setting up. One person can set it up but you'll wish you had help most of the time. Take it from one who knows, you can do better. Send it back and get something of quality. Cannot believe Cabela's still sells that junk.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:21 AM »
Alas never seen one  but always look when someone posts something about a shack or a portable  to give me ideas for both my perm and portable!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I was given one for Christmas of 2004. It was easy to build but other posters are right, you will spend 50 to 80 bucks to finish it off. I did have a great time painting the floor with my daughter who was then 9 years old. We got more paint on us than one the floor boards. I used it once in late winter of 2005 and it worked OK, though the sled that i built is only slightly lighter than an Abrams Tank... I can give tips on how not to build a sled! Then around Christmas of 2005, I bought an older Clam Fish Trap II from a guy named Hardguy here on the IS forums. He only lives about 15 miles from me. I've used the Trap II 3 times so far this season and haven't pulled the Cabela's shanty back out, though I'm keeping it just in case I convince a group to go ice fishing with me.  :) Fat chance, but I can't give up hope.
About the only advise I can give is to follow the directions and put the holes in the floor on the side opposite where the door zipper is. I've seen one that put the holes on the zipper side and it looked to me that you would step right into the holes when you went into the shanty. I can post a picture if I'm not being clear.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Gave my old one to a fellow shanty member two or three years ago and bought a new one and keep that for when I take my kids out so they can warm up in it. Tons of room but I like the mobility of the scout so I seldom use the cabela shanty. Heavy though.

Offline newiceking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:33 PM »
has anyone seen or bought a shaty from cabela's that you have to add plywood, hinges and screws to? borrowed a friends this past weekend and was impressed. fairly easy to set up by yourself and roomey. so i went on-line and ordered on for $90, saved $30. so my question to any one that has one is how do you have yours set up (rod holders, runners, seats and stuff)? looking for helpful ideas that might be of use thanks in advance

steve
Steve,
                 Hi, if you are looking to get one of those cabela shanties. I would get one. dbsturd and I have one and it is wonderful.It was well worth the purchase.If you have any questions, give me an IM.
[img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/MeatHuter737/l_2daa0c58421d4e89949b42784be7c9c7.jpg/img]

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:18 PM »
I've got an old minute man portable that has particalboard floors. First thing you should do after building yours is stain the hell out of it, can't use too much especially were your feet (cleats) are going to be. I've had mine for over five years and the floor hasn't warped or rotted a bit.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:20 PM »
thanks for all the responses. i have already cut the wood for the floor and put the runners on. just waiting for the rest to arrive. thanks again, will try to post pics when finished.

steve

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Get yourself a fishtrap in any style from clam corp, you'll be glad you did  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.