Author Topic: Driving truck on ice.  (Read 9496 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Driving truck on ice.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Hey, Barebum...been awhile, and I've been following this thread..and I agree that perhaps TGF shouldn't head out across the lake.
Even though my Sweetie and I fish 10 or 12 kilometres down Cold Lake...there is a track, other people are out there....we go carefully,
and we only drive a little teeny RAV4.  I hope he finds a solution that suits you both!!  Littleoldlady

Never worry Little momma...we always come up with a mutually agreed upon solution and we meet somewhere in the middle, if you know what I mean ;)2

No I'm going to take either my little snowmachine with skimmer/sled or my atv with trailer. She is happy and I'm happy and both have smug grins on our faces  :-* ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2007, 11:45 PM »
Good luck.  And I want to hear all about it (i.e. don't fall in....)

MD.

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:58 AM »
2 years back I drove along the Mckensie river in NWT northern Canada for about 250 KM's with about 4 1/2 foot of ice under our wheels..... Scariest drive of my life! If you can avoid doing long journeys across the ice I would advise it; If not stay as close to the shore as possible and don't wear your seat belt just in case the unimaginable happens. Watch for the ice rise too its a good indicator that there is pressure building.
When you reach the other side remember to drive off slowly or you will lose the back of your truck and be swimming with the fish instaed of catching them!
Safe travelling.

Offline opjames

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just need a little push...
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:37 PM »

Nuff said?

Offline WHISTLEWING

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:08 PM »
CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A SAFE THICKNESS OF ICE FOR A LIGHT DUTY TRUCK.THINKING ABOUT TRAVELING WITH THAT TO MY SPOTS.INSTEAD OF WALKING 2 MILES AND NOT OWNING SNOWMOBILE OR QUAD?

Offline opjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:35 PM »
CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A SAFE THICKNESS OF ICE FOR A LIGHT DUTY TRUCK.THINKING ABOUT TRAVELING WITH THAT TO MY SPOTS.INSTEAD OF WALKING 2 MILES AND NOT OWNING SNOWMOBILE OR QUAD?

As a lot of folks are saying it's not the thick ice that gets you. However, I've read that 10" or more is enough to support a light truck and I've been out on some lakes with my Toyota Tacoma. However I am never the first one to venture out. I never go too far and park at least 50 yards from anyone else. I've been out on lakes Cadillac, Mitchell, White, and even part of the way on Four Mile Lake.
If you want to risk it, you have to keep in mind the penalties that most states impose should you end up going through. Also you may be screwed if you go too far out or in too deep of water and take a dip. You may not be able to get anyone to retrieve it until the thaw or even not at all. That would really suck eggs if it were your only vehicle. Actually that would even suck if you had a dozen vehicles.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:51 PM »

Nuff said?

I bet that driver couldn't have bailed out faster with an ejection seat! Brown shorts for sure!!!! ;D

Offline opjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:57 PM »
I bet that driver couldn't have bailed out faster with an ejection seat! Brown shorts for sure!!!! ;D

Yeah you're probably right. I wonder if he could be talked into driving on the ice again...hmmmm? :unsure:

Offline rsprague420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:00 PM »
if ur sure there is more than a foot across the entire path u are taking then go for it.  27" will hold up 30 tons so i hope that will hold whatever ur drivin...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Yeah you're probably right. I wonder if he could be talked into driving on the ice again...hmmmm? :unsure:

If the boss is buying clean shorts, Git er done!!!!!!!!

Offline opjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:12 PM »
If the boss is buying clean shorts, Git er done!!!!!!!!

:woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:!!!!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Just one of life's little lessons that I learned from IceFishing
"When the crack yur sittin' on explodes, there's a good chance yur gonna have soiled shorts"
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:47 PM »

12" is my thickness also depending on the size of the lake.  Ive driven on 10 before. Ive seen guys drive on 6. So its all up to you.  Big lakes I need more than 12" to feel safe but smaller ones i feel safe that the rest of the lake is thick enough for my truck.  My honest opinion is buy a 4-wheeler.   

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:13 PM »
hey didnt Jessie JAmes make a camper into a pontoon boat
on monster garage maybe he can design a ice truck for us
 ::) ::)

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:51 PM »
How 'bout one of these?

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:55 PM »
there u go
they got them i pittsburgh on the river giving tours  lol

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:06 PM »
my avatar is basically a mini version of one of those (only a 2-man, 8hp, 12' long x 4' wide scale model)
but it also only weighs 400 lbs
I've seen it driven on one inch of ice  :o
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Sorry Terry
Looks like we've completely highjacked your thread.
But it sounds like you've got your original dilemma all figured out now anyway. 
Have Fun, Stay Safe, French a Ling fer me  :-*
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:22 PM »
The other day a buddy and I were driving out, and he rolled his window down. He told me he has never been crazy 'bout driving on the ice, but it was like -10 and now I have a severe cold. PS- we made it without falling through.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:13 PM »
    Someone asked what a pressure ridge is, a picture is worth 1000 words, so here is a shot of a 4-foot high ridge taken last year on Boysen. A 4-wheeler operator dumped his machine through this particular one....guess he had no idea what was waiting for him on the open-water side, FYI,  :tipup:
                                                        ex-Lt

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:20 PM »
I asked what a pressure ridge was.  Here in PA on the lakes I fish, I have never seen one.  I'm not usually on lakes much bigger than 500 acres or so.  Probably a good thing to be aware of though.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:27 PM »
The real danger of 'em here, scansy, is that some in-experienced guys figure that since there is good ice on one side, there automatically is on the other. Boysen seems to be the poster-child for pressure ridges, there was about 25 last year, all as bad or worse than this.  :woot:                                      Lt ;D

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I would not at all try it its to risky. :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Well said, ZorroS. , what tempts guys at Boysen is that mostly we have no shallow water at the banks, it drops from zero to 30-40 feet at the bank in many spots and that's at the base of a cliff...so rather than load up everything and go to another entrance, they do something goofy like jumping the ridge without knowing what's on the other side.
                                                          ;D

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:55 PM »
just run it...dont be nervous, ive been on 8" with my dakota before lol but its up to you, you know the lake better then me, but if i had 27" of ice i wouldnt think twice about driving out there

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:12 PM »
just run it...dont be nervous, ive been on 8" with my dakota before lol but its up to you, you know the lake better then me, but if i had 27" of ice i wouldnt think twice about driving out there
     "Open water" is the danger-key here...in the photo, there is NO ICE under that water and the depth is 40 feet. The post is not about driving on ice, it's about jumping pressure-ridges with open water on one side. :tipup:

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:16 PM »
27 inches man you could take an 18 wheeler out there...  I would do it.  I wish we had ice like that here in western NY so I could take my blazer out there, but not that lucky. Reuben

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:25 PM »
The real danger of 'em here, scansy, is that some in-experienced guys figure that since there is good ice on one side, there automatically is on the other. Boysen seems to be the poster-child for pressure ridges, there was about 25 last year, all as bad or worse than this.  :woot:                                      Lt ;D

Where is Boysen?
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:03 PM »
It is a risky proposition - I have come to realize that there has never been a fish made that is worth risking myself over. Besides, my wife works for an insurance company and reminds me everytime I walk out the door just so I don't get any ideas that your insurance will not cover your vehicle if it goes through the ice.

With that being said - let us know if it was worth the trip and you may have a few fishin' partners next time. :tipup:

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Terry - I can't convince your wife for you, but I've driven Max on the Red (last winter...haven't been on the Red yet this winter).  Being a GMC K2500 crew cab with Duramax / Allison, with the family and gear, I'm sure it was well over 6000 pounds on flowing water.

Before anyone gets too excited about that, it is normal practice here.  There are ice roads plowed on Lake of the Woods.  Also, to get to remote native communities, ice roads are set up here in the winter and tractor trailer units go up them. 

I know you get some cool temperatures up in that part of the world as well, so the ice should be decent.  My only concern might be the pressure ridge...but I have no experience crossing those at all.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.