Author Topic: ice anchors  (Read 7750 times)

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
ice anchors
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I recently bought the Quick Fish II by Eskimo. So far it suits my needs fine and I'm happy with it. My question is, where can I get ice anchors as strong as the ones that came with the shanty? The only ones I can find are too thin and don't work as well or not at all. For some odd reason the Eskimo web site sells the cheap ones.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: ice anchors
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:55 PM »
The ones that Clamcorp sells are pretty solid. Why is this in the GOMS?

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if this is not apprpriate for this forum.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if this is not apprpriate for this forum.

I used my Quick Fish 3 for the first time this weekend. It worked great and the ice anchors that came with it were fantastic, but one anchor out of the 6 that came with it is defective. It has a small piece of metal protruding out right at the tip. No wonder I couldn't get that one to bite. It took me 3 tries before I finally looked at it closer. Good thing I never really need all of them so I can wait for a replacement for now.

I called Artisan today and they're looking into it. I sure hope they send me the same type of anchor!

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I used my Quick Fish 3 for the first time this weekend. It worked great and the ice anchors that came with it were fantastic, but one anchor out of the 6 that came with it is defective. It has a small piece of metal protruding out right at the tip. No wonder I couldn't get that one to bite. It took me 3 tries before I finally looked at it closer. Good thing I never really need all of them so I can wait for a replacement for now.

I called Artisan today and they're looking into it. I sure hope they send me the same type of anchor!

I emailed Artisam about the cheaper anchors and they are checking into it and said I should have an answer in 2 to 3 days. I'm calling them cheaper because of the way they look in their picture. They look like the ones for sale in the local stores. I want two more cause I'm using them to hold down my rod holders. They go in quick and are made well.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:05 PM »
I emailed Artisam about the cheaper anchors and they are checking into it and said I should have an answer in 2 to 3 days. I'm calling them cheaper because of the way they look in their picture. They look like the ones for sale in the local stores. I want two more cause I'm using them to hold down my rod holders. They go in quick and are made well.

This picture is taken directly from the Eskimo website. The anchors I have look exactly like this, except they have stops for ownly allowing the stake to go in so deep in turn putting pressure on the grommets of the shelter:

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:40 PM »
This picture is taken directly from the Eskimo website. The anchors I have look exactly like this, except they have stops for ownly allowing the stake to go in so deep in turn putting pressure on the grommets of the shelter:

(Image removed from quote.)

No way mine look like that. They look like the cheap ones I tried before. The ones I got with my Quick Fish have a sharp taper, are thicker, have a stop and the threads are farther apart which allows them to go in faster. I saw that picture on their site and that's why I emailed them. The ones pictured can bend and can be hard to get started and you don't gain as much with each turn.

Offline Stillhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:27 AM »
The anchors in the picture are definitely different than what comes with the Eskimo quickfish II shelters. Maybe the anchors with the quickfish 3 are different.

Those anchors pictured are similar to the HT anchors, which are junk if you ask me. I bent one trying to put it in the ice, which obviously ruins it, they will not screw in once they are bent.

The anchors jfish has with the quickfish II are the best I've seen, as he said, they screw in quickly because the threads are further apart, and they are also much heavier,you couldn't bend them if you tried.

I wish I would have kept a couple of the ice anchors from my quickfish II when I took it back, I bet Sportsman's warehouse wouldn't have even noticed. oh well.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:09 PM »
These are the anchors that came with my QF3. I couldn't bend these if I wanted. I don't know how you can tell
the gauge of thickness of the anchors depicted in the above pic, unless you ordered them and actually tried them out. The threads do appear to be tighter though, and they're also missing the stops:

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:25 PM »
Yea, they're the good ones.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:34 PM »
Those look like some sweet anchors. Post back when you find them, I am interested in a set myself.

Offline eye tat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:53 PM »
 :PPlease post when any one finds the good anchors.  The ones with the Eskimo 111 are great I would buy more for my Pak Shack also.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2007, 03:40 PM »
I have 1 replacement anchor being shipped by Ardisam (Eskimo), because the tip on one of mine is defective. I asked if they would send me a few extra's ;), and he hummed and hawed a bit, so I doubt I'll get extra's, but he didn't say no! He didn't know how many they have left in inventory. The Eskimo Quck Fish 3 was a big seller this season.

I also asked him if the replacement anchor would be the same quality as the one's I have now. He said they only deal with 1 manufacturer, so they're all the same. We'll soon see.

If I was you guys, I'd just call Ardisam and ask them for yourself. Maybe you'll luck out and they'll have a few sets left.

Here's the number: 1-800-345-6007

Offline jfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:20 AM »
I never heard back from Artisam and never did find decent anchors. As a last resort I'll make a phone call and see where that gets me.

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Shappell makes a good set of anchors for about $6-8 a pair.  They have red rubber-coated T handles and coarse threads with a notch cut out so they start easier.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:28 PM »
went to Shappell web site today, anchors are 3.99/pair ;)

http://www.shappell.com/s4000partsaccs.html
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:51 PM »
HT makes a decent set of anchors, and as all HT stuff decently priced

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:05 PM »
i have some ht stuff, you get what you pay for :-\ :-\ :-\ . their stuff is just average :(

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:21 PM »
I got a set of their anchors though, its a big screw with an open "T" handle on it- tough to screw those up. They do the job, and I think they were $1.99

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Shappell makes a good set of anchors for about $6-8 a pair.  They have red rubber-coated T handles and coarse threads with a notch cut out so they start easier.
I use the Shappell anchors also.  I tried the HT anchors and the Shappell seem to bite in easier.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:41 PM »
ooo i just saw that clam makes a pair that come with attaching hardware
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/clam/iceanchors.html

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2007, 06:02 AM »
Used ice climbing screws off E-bay...too expensive otherwise. 
Chris Raymond

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2007, 07:31 AM »
we've been using tree stand steps. they have an agressive thread and a sharp point
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Used ice climbing screws off E-bay...too expensive otherwise. 

I use ice screws also and you can turn them in with a finger if you want to.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:08 AM »
hello everyone....i'm new this season to IceShanty.  My sled anchor consists of 12" piece of 3/4 conduit w/ a bolt threaded into one end(for weight) than 18" of chain bolted to the middle of the conduit. I than ran two pieces of rope, about 3' each, that have a quick snap or binder that clip onto the eye bolts that the tow rope is tied to. If I havent lost ya....good.... I simply drill a hole bout 3-4ft behind my sled than dip the pipe in and bring it up against the bottom of the ice and than attach the quick clips or binders to the eye bolts and my sled is anchored like a rock!  let me know if not clear on my descreption.  BRING ON THE ICE!
]

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2007, 07:58 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

i had the quick fish for 2 years, last year i was out on the ice and as a fgew other memebers can verify, i could not for the life of me get my anchors in the ice ??? the ice kept chipping and breaking apart when i screwed down ??? 2 years, i never hads this problem, but a buddy gave me one of his (the cheap ones in the pic) and it screwed right down, held the shanty just fine in 20+mph wind. the anchors that came with the shanty were too thick for the shale like early ice. i would say go with the cheapies, they worked great for me :-\

(ps. i got rid of the shanty after that for a smaller 1 man flip over, no anchor needed, it was that bad an experiance)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:10 AM »
The new Strikemaster ice locks look pretty sweet and they double as ice picks.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:31 AM »
i had the quick fish for 2 years, last year i was out on the ice and as a fgew other memebers can verify, i could not for the life of me get my anchors in the ice ??? the ice kept chipping and breaking apart when i screwed down ??? 2 years, i never hads this problem, but a buddy gave me one of his (the cheap ones in the pic) and it screwed right down, held the shanty just fine in 20+mph wind. the anchors that came with the shanty were too thick for the shale like early ice. i would say go with the cheapies, they worked great for me :-\

(ps. i got rid of the shanty after that for a smaller 1 man flip over, no anchor needed, it was that bad an experiance)

This will be my second season with my QF 3. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hopefully I'm okay this season. That's the first I've heard about this problem. I went over my Quickfish gear the other day (had it setup in basement all summer), packed it all back into it's carrying bag and all looks good to go for this season. These anchors seem to go in like a hot knife in butter, other than the 1 I has the issue with. Ardisam did send me a replacement, and an extra one too.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:46 AM »
yeah, its a great shanty, ecspecially if you have kids, easy to set up, light weight, if its nice you dont need to set it up so its not a burden to carry. i also agree about the anchors going in good, just that one time out on the small boat harbor here in buffalo, over an hour setting up in the wind, also with help from 2 other guys, only when i switched to the skinny anchors did i get it set up :-\

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I had a picture of these anchors posted in this thread but that was almost a year ago.

Here's that pic again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.