New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Heading out with a Vex  (Read 1376 times)

Offline mbruizer187

• IceShanty Rookie
Heading out with a Vex
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Going out to Onieda Lake tomorrow, first time with a vex.  Taking my uncle out we usually use tip-ups and just look for a drop off and stick to that, but went out and got a vex today, so was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what kind of bait you generally use when using a vex.  We are also going to be using the tip-ups because its fun, but showing him a vex since we've been hearing so much about them and figured i would get one other wise we would only be talking about one, like we have for the past 2 years lol.   Any info on how Lewis point is looking, didnt see much in the ice condition section, we will be walking all of our gear out.  Thanks for any help.

Thanks again
Rich

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Heading out with a Vex
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Going out to Onieda Lake tomorrow, first time with a vex.  Taking my uncle out we usually use tip-ups and just look for a drop off and stick to that, but went out and got a vex today, so was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what kind of bait you generally use when using a vex.  We are also going to be using the tip-ups because its fun, but showing him a vex since we've been hearing so much about them and figured i would get one other wise we would only be talking about one, like we have for the past 2 years lol.   Any info on how Lewis point is looking, didnt see much in the ice condition section, we will be walking all of our gear out.  Thanks for any help.

Thanks again
Rich

No idea how Lewis point is but... the vex will help you with tip ups because you will be able to watch you bait decend without having to guess where it is in the water column....just carry the vex from hole to hole, stick the transducer in and drop in your minnow...watch 'er fall...vary the distance from the bottom until you find where the fish are hanging and you'll be in business....

The vex really shines while jigging...find someone out there with one and ask for help...they should be happy to give some advice.
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:52 PM »
When I bought vex a dvd came with it .Keep the gain on 2 to start put transducer in hole and turn on 1 power thats up 20' deep If red bar goes to 20 ' on top and meets green put on 2 power which shows 40'. red is bottom drop a jig watch fall and you will learn it easy.My gps thats a little harder.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline mbruizer187

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:22 PM »
Nice, thanks for the info on the vex, from the video seems like I'll get the hang of it quick.  Should be fun getting the hang of it, hope to see some fish.  After me and my uncle both got frostbite on our faces 2 years ago sitting next to our tip-ups for hours lol, I started looking for a different way to approach ice fishing, but still want to use tip-ups too.  BTW the frostbite wasn't to bad just a week of a little pain and looking like monsters from all the water under the skin.  I don't go out enough to say it was worth the $$ but I don't want frostbite from standing in 1 place all day again, so i cant complain.  Maybe a shanty next lol.

Thanks
Rich

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:48 PM »
[quote author=snaggerr .Keep the gain on 2 to start put transducer in hole and turn on 1 power thats up 20' deep If red bar goes to 20 ' on top and meets green put on 2 power which shows 40'. red is bottom drop a jig watch fall and you will learn it easy.My gps thats a little harder.
[/quote]

Just get an aqua-vu VPG, Instant-read on the water column.......digital depth read-out as soon as the duce hits water!

Instant bottom and fish location....and yes...watch your jig drop from top!!

Why do mathematics........on the ice??
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Prepare your self to be disgusted with how many fish come in and look at your jig without touching it.  It gets really aggravating.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Prepare your self to be disgusted with how many fish come in and look at your jig without touching it.  It gets really aggravating.

Heh, it's a double-edged sword.  At least if you're not catching anything, you know there are fish around.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline flukehit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Sometimes it helps to change the jig,
maybe use a mousey instead of maggot,
or perch eye and a hali jig.
When they come for a look and don't bit
try something different, see if they will chase
your jig up, sometime you have to jig fast and sometimes
real, real slow. Thats why I love my vex. At least I know there
are fish down there (or not) and I can put a jig right in their mug.
Setting up tip ups is nice too, but now I mostly jig.
Once you understand the vex. theres no going back........beware.

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:05 PM »
  The Vex is the only way to go! But beware,,, It will drive you crazy when you see them chase your lure all night long and never hit it, but, at least you know that they are there :thumbsup:

Good luck,  I'm sure you'll catch on to it in no time.

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline wayneo637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:29 AM »
  The Vex is the only way to go! But beware,,, It will drive you crazy when you see them chase your lure all night long and never hit it, but, at least you know that they are there :thumbsup:

Good luck,  I'm sure you'll catch on to it in no time.

JD

There is no doubt about it.  I dont think I could go back to fishing with out my vex but boy do I get mad when I know the fish are there and they dont want any of the 100 jigs in my box.
WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER I'LL ICE FISH THERE TOO!!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:03 AM »
Using a vex is better than any interactive game in the world. My wife bought mine for me and now she hates it because I'm on the ice for hours and hours! ;D

Yes, it is frustrating to see fish and have no takers but thats why fishing is a skill learned over time. I hope I master it soon! :blink:

Have fun with it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.