Author Topic: Marcum VX-1  (Read 3212 times)

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum VX-1
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:44 PM »
I just purchased the new VX-1 from marcum....My battery on my Vex went and my transducer also went, so untill I get those replaced the marcum will be my number 1 electronic. I like it alot so far. It is different getting used to having to turn the gain up wherever I fished. They have less power output then the LX-3, or Lx-5. The screen is incredibly accurate and easy to read in all light conditions. I did notice it is quieter than the Vex but there were times when it started to hum. This doesnt bother me at all tho. The ice ducer arm is nice and doesnt take up as much room as the float when fishing the transducer in the small hole. I did have to reroute the transducer cable when I got it cause it was catching on the power cable. A simple unhook and reroute and the problem was solved. It performed as well as any other flasher in cold temps too. I was using it in -27C with a windchill at -36C. All in all for the $200 US price tag I really think its a great deal. Definitly worth looking into if you want a good flasher. Anyone with other thoughts on this product please pitch them is as I would like to know if there are somethings I should be keeping my eye out for.

Robin

Offline southshore

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum VX-1
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Rodin thanks for the info, i am thinking about buying one  they are alot cheaper then the fl-8,i don't know alot about these flashers. Does anyone know what the different between the marcum LX1 and fl-8 is. I would appreciate any advice.

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:53 PM »
I also picked up a VX-1 this year and I am very happy with it. My buddy who was thinking of getting a Fl-8 is w leaning towards a Marcum after using mine.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2007, 07:48 AM »
I purchased one this fall and have used it several times.  It seems to do every thing I expected from a flasher.  This is my first flasher so I don't have a lot to compare it to but it seems to do the job.  Mine will start to hum on occasion but I've found that if you reposition it on the ice it will quiet down. 

The one thing I am a little sceptical about is the charging system.  Shy of testing it with a volt meter I'm not sure if I have a full charge or not.  Maybe I'm missing it but there is very little info in the instructions.  The other thing is how to protect the unit while on the ice.  Need a cover or something to protect it from the elements.  For now, I am transporting it in a square cat litter bucket but that does not help out when in use.

For two hundred dollars I can't see where I went wrong with this unit.  I sent my rebate in in Dec. and received it this week in the  mail.  I to would like to hear what others have experienced with this unit.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 AM »
From MarCum - VX-1 charging system info...
If you fish two hours charge 1 hour ..
So if you fish 8 hours charge for 4 hours.  It may be a little more when it comes to the exact milliamps your using while fishing but that's the rule of thumb.

Now on the camere this scenario is reversed if you fish with the camera one hour, charge for 2 hours.

I had the same question on the VX1 charging system and I just antied up and ordered the DCS 100 charging system MarCum offers from Reeds and that took the  guess work right out of it.   Problem is so many Vexilar guys purchased the MarCum Digital Charging System this season that there are very few left >:(  If you can't afford the $30 for the DCS 100 than the general rule applies above for the VX-1, 2 fishing to 1 charging...
Tim Rogers

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:35 PM »
I just use my vex charger. It is better than the marcum one and I can put it on trickle charge. The main difference between the fl-8 and the marcum is the clarity and the zoom feature. I have been trying to be really careful with my marcum cause it is a little sensitive to getting beat up. I am planning on putting it on a genz box when I get the chance.

Robin

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:50 PM »
 One thing I've seen is that when I fish near FL8's, at least ones that are a few years old, with my LX-3, there is interference issues for the FL8's. They may be better now, I don't know. But I was 10 feet away from an FL8 in 14 foot of water and the guy was having interference problems with his FL8.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I to was in the market for a flasher this year and bought the vx1 and love it. Ah yes the kitty litter buckets so many uses. Thats what mine sets in with foam from and old chair top and bottom for transport

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:09 PM »
i have a quick question for the vx-1 owners. i just bought mine last fall and it is my first flasher. it works great but on my last fishing trip with all my equipment on the trailer i hit a couple of nasty bumps on the road and banged it up pretty good.  when i turn it on now everything still works fine but the plastic lens that shows the numbers for depth and the marcum logo spins with the lights so i cant read the actual readings has anyone had this problem and could you tell me how to fix it?

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:20 PM »
geez, i havent heard of that happening yet...I would go directly to the company and ask them...This would get really annoying.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:31 AM »
I just use my vex charger. It is better than the marcum one and I can put it on trickle charge. The main difference between the fl-8 and the marcum is the clarity and the zoom feature. I have been trying to be really careful with my marcum cause it is a little sensitive to getting beat up. I am planning on putting it on a genz box when I get the chance.

Robin

I didnt know Vexilar come out with an automatic charger. The Marcum DCS 100  is totally automatic in that it automatically goes to trickle charge (maintainance) mode after full charge is met. No baby sitting the battery. Just plug it in and forget it.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:57 AM »
MarCum VX-1 durability test - Cnypanfisher and I were clipping along pretty good with the sled on Oneida with our shanties in tow and he made an abrupt left hander that the sleds behind didn't like and his VX-1 took a bad tumble at about 35 mph and it went rolling at least 5-6 times tumbling over and the only thing that was messed up was a a gimbal screw and it it had a gash in the plastice handle.  The design protected the unit...  Turned the unit on and no problems, just like new.  I'm impressed so far... Awesome machine for little money.
Tim Rogers

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2007, 08:44 AM »
I dont know if it is actually made by vexilar. Its called a Superior Accu-Charger Fully Automatic Battery Charger....It has a 12 and 6 V selection....And also a 8hrs or trickle charge setting also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.