Author Topic: Vexilar  (Read 3536 times)

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar
« on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Hey-

I am just getting into ice fishing, and noticing that I should have a Vexilar. What are some of the main differences between the FL-8 and the FL-18. The only difference that I know is that the Fl-18 has a bottom zoom feature. I will be using it only for ice fishing, in water ne where from 10-40 feet deep. I like the Genz pack and it is the cheapest, or should i get the Pro Pack or the Ultra Pack instead? Is it worth the extra money just to get the FL-18 because it has a zoom feature? Doesn’t the FL-8 show the bottom very accurately or what? I am going to get either the FL-8 or the FL-18, so please don't recommend me getting the FL-12, FL-20, or even a different product from another company. I am only 16 years old and don’t have all that much money to spend so.

Thanx
-Shootnmiss09
$~I'd Rather be FISHING right now~$

~IcE FiShErMeN wAlK oN wAtEr~

"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is!" -Ricky Bobby

yarndt52

Re: Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Hey-

I am just getting into ice fishing, and noticing that I should have a Vexilar. What are some of the main differences between the FL-8 and the FL-18. The only difference that I know is that the Fl-18 has a bottom zoom feature. I will be using it only for ice fishing, in water ne where from 10-40 feet deep. I like the Genz pack and it is the cheapest, or should i get the Pro Pack or the Ultra Pack instead? Is it worth the extra money just to get the FL-18 because it has a zoom feature? Doesn’t the FL-8 show the bottom very accurately or what? I am going to get either the FL-8 or the FL-18, so please don't recommend me getting the FL-12, FL-20, or even a different product from another company. I am only 16 years old and don’t have all that much money to spend so.

Thanx
-Shootnmiss09

I actually have a marcum Lx-1.. It was only $250 which is less I believe then the vexilar FL-8 and comes equipped with the bottom zoom.. Works great..

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Hey-

Thanx
-Shootnmiss09
 I have had the FL8 and liked it I now have a FL18 Ultra and love it.  If you can aford FL18 the zoom is worth it.  I don't think you have priced out the FL18 Ultra and the FL20 Ultra because they were as of two weeks ago the same price at Cabela's. $499.99  I would now buy the FL20 sweet.

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:22 PM »
I HAVE A 18 DON'T SEE THE NEED FOR 20 EXCEPT IT HAS AN EXTRA ZOOM. with the better 18 you get a on and off switch I like the cheaper 18 model with blue case and zoom lens.Works great.Just have to unplug battery instead of switch.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Hey-

Thanx
-Shootnmiss09

Shootnmiss09,

From what I know your assumptions are correct in regards to the differances between the FL8 and FL18.  A friend of mine had used an FL8 for many years. But e eventually upgraded to the FL18. He still uses it without the bottom zoom feature. Now I on the other had finally broke down this year and bought my first vexilar, but I went the step further and bought the fl20. Now I know that I like the bottom zoom on my fl20 and I can imagine that it's similar on the fl18. But it's not something that you "need" to have. It's just a nice to have.  The FL8 would be  good starter unit if you're looking to keep it cheap. And definately go with the Genz pack. There is no need for all the bells and whistles for the pro or ultra packs. My fl20 has an ultra pack and I don't use the tackle box storage and I don't believe what the battery indicator is telling me because it changes quickly. The FL8 will show the bottom just as accuratly as the fl18.  Hope this helps and I know that you'll love the vex when you get it.  PS. Check on Ebay. that's where I got mine and the price was very good.

fish_boy

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:29 PM »
any ultra pack will have the switch.

FL-20 has the bottom zoom on the 6' and 12' range. It is eaiser to read when you get the range settings set. And it has the flat screen so that it is way easier for more than 1 person to view at a time. It also has night and day mode. Day mode being the normal bright setting, than night mode it dims it down so if your fishing in a shack ot at night you're not burning your eyes out.

The zoom will help quite a bit. Especially when walleye fishing. It will give you much greater target seperation. I didnt think it was that important but after using it i realized how helpful it is.
Team Manitoba

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:32 PM »
I and 4 friends have the aqua view VPG, everyone loves them! It tells you the depth instantly, and if there is fish and at what depth.......the second you drop the ducer! The battery lasts forever, even on a 3 day trip! Shows my jig and the fish in instant real time!!

The flashers........you have to have the info. book and a calculator on hand just to find out the depth! ::) ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Shootnmiss, I can relate to you being 16  & and having little money  maybe a used one would help your situation  and theres plenty out their but of course your not sure of what your getting.    Vexilar sells reconditioned ones with a full warranty also.  Or find someone thats got one you can go fishing with.  Obviously the 18  would be preferred over the 8 but theres a zillion 8's out there that are fish catchin fools. 

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:43 AM »
Shootnmiss, I can relate to you being 16  & and having little money  maybe a used one would help your situation  and theres plenty out their but of course your not sure of what your getting.    Vexilar sells reconditioned ones with a full warranty also.  Or find someone thats got one you can go fishing with.  Obviously the 18  would be preferred over the 8 but theres a zillion 8's out there that are fish catchin fools. 
I agree with this completly.  I use an FL-8 and I'm very happy with it.  I may upgrade at some point to get the zoom feature, but if I had enough $ for an FL-8 and nothing more, I'd still do it (buy the FL-8).  I'm sure you could always sell that FL-8 when you were ready to upgrade, that's what I plan to do at some point, but not this year.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Marcum VX1 - Thorne Brothers - 232.00 total with free shipping.  Great unit to start out with.  I love mine.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:02 PM »
if you're on the budget,  try ebay,  sometimes you can get lucky and get a deal.  Mostly when things are out of season.  It could be a bit tough getting a good price on one right how  i figure

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:32 PM »
Whatever you get (8 or 18), you'll catch more fish with it than without, and you'll enjoy the whole game a lot more.

You apparently don't fish shallower than 10 feet (according to your information), but another feature of the 18 is a suppressor setting that diminishes power in extremely shallow water. . .this cuts interference when you're fishing, say 4 to 6 feet of water.  In order to do this with the 8, you'll need to pick up a suppressor cable.

Another feature that is noticeably superior on the 18 is the brightness when you're fishing outside on a sunny day.  The 8 (it's dimmer) can be difficult to read accurately. 

Years ago, when I began fishing on ice more seriously, I bought the power auger first, then the flasher -- I had it backwards!
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Hey-

Thanx
-Shootnmiss09
If you buy the FL8 I'm sure you will love it as I did mine.  I won't worry about being out in the bright sun with it.  I put a 1 lb coffee can which I painted black over the flasher and had no more trouble seeing.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Um-m-m, not trying to be argumentative, but the coffee can trick really limits where you can stand (or sit) and see the flasher on the 8. 

I tried it on my first flasher (an 8 ), and while it did help a bit, the brightness of the 18 is like night and day.  I use the 18 on the bow of my Ranger in open water, too, and the difference is even "huger" (more huge)  there.

I guess I would lean more toward the 18, just so the young man doesn't wish he'd spent a couple more bucks on his initial purchase next year or the one after that.  That being said, my old 8 is an excellent back-up/extra when I need it.  ;)
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:54 PM »
I will prolly jsut get the FL-8 Pro or Genz Pack, but it won't be till next year. But i Have one last question. Whats the difference between a 19° Ice-Ducer and a 12° Ice-Ducer, and teh Dual Beam? What would u recommend?

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:10 PM »
Hey

Go ahead and get the 8   all this talk about zoom is b.s.  You just want to see if the fish are down there, and what depth you are fishing at.  Let your lure ZOOM down there when you mark a fish and catch the bugger.  Besides, you are 16....going to clubs, and chasing tail is going to be alot more appealing to you...if it isn't already.  You will make alot of money later on in life.....and they will have something bigger and better in a few years anyway.  Then you go ahead and splurge.  That is how I have made alot of my purchases
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Quote from: RealityCheck .....and they will have something bigger and better in a few years anyway.  /quote

It's already here it's called the Aqua-Vu....VPG!!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:42 AM »
I'm a Member of Direct Buy. This business has everything from a Single Tear Drop to a Airplane you can purchase at Incredibly LOW Prices...Lower than ANY Store around including the wholesale stores. ALL Products are BRAND NEW , and quality service.

Since your only 16 years old, you won't want to become a Member, I bought my Vexilar 18 last year for $210.00 out the door w/ shipping, handling, and freight.

I also buy my teardrops from Direct Buy..I can buy a Whole Card which usually is 20 Teardrops for a Mear $2.25

Any Style.

Stan

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I am either gonna get the Fl-8 or FL-12. Which one woudl you recommend? Pros and cons of eash one. IS one easier to use then the other, casue I am new to flashers and wanna saty kinda simple. What degree od transducer should i get?

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Waited to chime in. own an 8 and a 20.
The new screen is just plain cool. Not only cool but functional. Easy to read in full sun,bright and clear. colors are eaier to diferentiate (sp). I have a hard time with red and orange on the 8. 20 or 12 no problem.
lets see, brighter, clearer, better colors, better IR, bigger screen and i think better target seperation............ .what was the question again?
9 or 12 degree ducer wk great for 30ft or less. 9 deg better 20-greater depth get whats best for what you fish.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:14 AM »
A-bomb or neone else that can help-
I-m like 80% sure i will get the FL-12 in the future. BUt I have one question left. A-bomb tried to help but i didnt really understand it. That is what type of ice ducer to get? I will be using it only for ice fishing, in like 535 FOW.

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:32 AM »
The higher the degree the the larger the cone and more coverage area.  for shallow water the 19 is good and for deeper water the 12 or 9 would be better.  i attached a chart to show the bottom coverage in the foot of water you are fishing.   

Depth 9Ί      12Ί      19Ί
  10’ 1.6’      2.2’      3.4’
  20’ 3.2’      4.3’      6.7’
  30’ 4.7’      6.3’    10.0’
  40’ 6.3’      8.4’    13.4’
  50’ 7.9’     10.6’   16.7’
  60’ 9.4’     12.6’    20.8’
  70’ 11.0’    14.7’   23.4’
  80’ 12.6’    16.8’   26.8’
  90’ 14.2’    20.0’   30.1’
  100’ 15.7’   21.0’   33.5’
  120’ 18.9’   25.2’   40.2’
  150’ 23.6’   31.5   50.2’
  300’ 47.2’   63.0’   100.4
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:59 AM »
It may be unnecessary to add (but I'll do it anyway) that ice023's chart gives the diameter of the cone at the depths listed.  :P

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Flasher's....mathematic's......... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:51 AM »
ok lets try and inlighten you..
At A DEPTH AT 60 FEET
DEGREE 9=9.4 FT.
DEGREE 12=12.6FT
DEGREE 19=20 FT

Like a flashlite beam... the further away the bigger the circle of light covered. This is simular in sonar. The smaller the degree the tighter the coverage. A 19 degree transducer covers 10 feet on each side of your boat in 60 feet of water... while a 9 degree gives you a 4 .5 foot circle under your boat.
This "tighter beam" allows you a better and tighter view of the bottom structure and in knowing where the fish are you are seeing in relation to your boat.
I like the 19 degree in 20 foot or less, the 12 degree in 20 to 40 waters, and the 9 in over 40 foot waters. ...

You can also get a dual beam with a switch and choose between 9 or 19 depending on how deep the bite is...

http://www.vexilar.com/help/tips.html

if i was you go with the 12* cone ...
i'v been useing the12* for the last 20 years or so and i like it
started out with the fl8 then moved up to the fl18 now i'm moving up to the fl20..
need any more help just ask...

Hard Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.