Author Topic: refigerating live bait  (Read 3351 times)

grumpymoe

refigerating live bait
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:55 PM »
i dont know how they package live minnows/leeches etc in different parts of the country-i know in my home area they put live bait in clear plastic bags and fill with oxygen. where i live now they just put them in styrofoam containers and you have to keep changing the water to keep them alive. what works best for you?? ??? ???

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:refigerating live bait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:58 AM »
For every gallon of water in your bait storage bucket add 5 drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, (the kind you buy in the store, NOT the one beauticians use for bleaching hair). It increases the oxygen saturation in the water and keeps the baitfish lively.
FTD

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:18 AM »
ftd--thanks i knew there was something to add but just couldn't put my finger on it-much appreciated :'( :'( :'(

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2003, 12:30 PM »
Does adding the hydrogen peroxide lengthen the time between water changes.   Do you still oxygenate the water with a bubbler?

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2003, 01:10 PM »
lucky dog  i went on the web to check the chemical properties of hydrogen peroxide and if ftd is right it should release lots of oxygen in the water without having to aerate. am i correct ???   another thing i saw a few years ago on a trip to nw ontario was a group that left their minnows in a floating bucket under the ice--they just marked it with a branch and augered down and fished it out--i thought this was cool--he used a bare arm to reach down under the ice--brrrrrrrrrrrr 8) 8)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2003, 01:20 PM »
Depends on the volume of water and the number of fish.You should still use an air pump if keeping your bait for more than a day or two. What the hydrogen peroxide does is add an extra molecule of oxygen to the water allowing for more oxygen to be absorbed by the water (water is H2O, Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2). What is doesn't do, is remove ammonia which is in the water from the fish waste and that is what actually kills the fish. It does, however, allow the fish to breathe more easily, which in turn reduces stress and waste and produces less ammonia. So, to answer your question...Yes it does lengthen the time between water changes (but still change it daily if you can) and YES you should still use a bubbler.
FTD
Does adding the hydrogen peroxide lengthen the time between water changes.   Do you still oxygenate the water with a bubbler?

GatorSlayer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:33 PM »
What kind of store can you go to get this stuff, and where to look in it? Would WallyWorld carry it in, say, their pet department?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:40 PM »
Hydrogen Peroxide can be purchased at any pharmacy, grocery store, drug store, WalMart, KMart, etc. It's cheap too. It's also good for disinfecting small cuts, as a mouth rinse and mixed with baking soda for a very effective tooth paste. Just be careful with how much you add to your bait bucket, start with 5 drops per gallon. I have used this trick for years and it works very well.
FTD

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 12:05 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I'll give it a try.  I think the trick will be to not put too much in... I tend to overdo things.

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:26 PM »
When changing your water out you might want to use Start Rite or any other water conditioner. You can pick it up at Walmart or any pet store. I have used it for years after learning of it from a local bait dealer.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: refigerating live bait
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:43 AM »
I see that this hasn't been added to for a while and it is a good topic in my opinion. I used to go fishing only on the weekends and buy new bait each time. this year a guy i work with said he would leave his bait bucket out side if the top would freeze he would bring it inside for the night and put back out during the day.I have been trying this and it has been keeping mine alive a lot longer. I have heard of something that turns the water green and minnows live longer also does anyone know the name of this stuff.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I have had my minnows for more than a month now. All I do is keep them in a 6 gallon bucket in my basement where it is cool. I add new water every day or two. Just make sure when you put the new water in it is as cold as you can get it. If I don't think I will be able to change the water for a couple days I throw a good amount of ice in there with the minnows. I haven't had a dead minnow yet.

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2005, 01:01 PM »
i keep my bait in a cooler that will hold about 8-9 beers. i change the water every other day and add ice every day. i will turn the aerator on ocassionally. i have had them for over three weeks now (goldies,greys and suckers) some of them even done three tours of duty. thanks for the peroxide hint i will add some to my water. i also keep them in my garage which is usually about 40 degrees. i was wondering if i need to feed them? hopefully after this weekend i can come home with an empty bait cooler and a load of fish for the pan.

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:41 PM »
the product is called baitsaver...there's different types....you need the one specifically for minnows...there's also saver for livewell bass....etc...etc...wi th an aerated large tub, i add the saver and change the water about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks...so far, i have managed to keep a large supply since the 2nd week of december....Grump ;D

PIKEGUY

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Funny how you have them longer when the fish won't take em huh grump??  ;D ;D

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Grumpy,

I keep mine behind the milk in the fridge. I put it in one of those big coffee and pop mugs you get at the convience stores. The ones that hold 1/2 gallon of pop or coffee with the flip lid. Its insulated so it won't get too hot or too cold. I just change the water a couple times a week and my GF thinks it has pop in it. I have kept minnows alive in one of these for months with no major problems.  ;D

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

PIKEGUY

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Will you be single when she takes a sip of the "pop"  ??? ??? :o

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Will you be single when she takes a sip of the "pop"  ??? ??? :o

Luckily she doesn't like the kind of pop I drink.... :thumbsup:

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2005, 06:31 PM »
My wife won't drink pop at all this might just work for me.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2005, 09:28 PM »
how cold should the water be to keep the bait alive? :tipup:

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:31 AM »
I have kept as many as 6 dozen shiners alive in a 5 gallon bucket for over a week without changing the water.  I left it outside until there was about 4 inches of ice on it and then moved it inside a garage where the temp was around 40.  The ice lasted all week and i aerated it maybe for 2 or 3 hours a day.  Also there is a chemical you can buy at pet stores called Easy Balance.  It comes in a yellow bottle and it removes nitrates (waste) from the water.  The colder you can keep the water the better. 

My buddies you an old broken chest freezer and have had as many as about 30 dozen in at once.  just enough for a day or two of good fishing  ;)
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:51 AM »
The colder the better. Just make sure they don't freeze solid. I found out they don't live when all the water freezes. Duh

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:52 AM »
new meaning to suspended fish :tipup:

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I usually give up keeping them and throw them in the lake after a good day of fishing. Maybe I will give this a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.