Author Topic: FOG  (Read 815 times)

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
FOG
« on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Anyone ever get turned around in the fog while ice fishing.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: FOG
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:54 PM »
I haven't been turned around in a fog, but I have gotten confused as to directions during a ground blizzard with zero visibility. It's a female dog when it happens after dark on a large lake. Luckily I put my GPS on track back and followed my track back to the launch.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Not fog, but turned around in a white-out.  Had a compass with me as per pop's instruction.  Always a good idea to take a compass with you, mark shore, then you may avoid the walking onto thin ice or into open water.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Not fog, but turned around in a white-out.  Had a compass with me as per pop's instruction.  Always a good idea to take a compass with you, mark shore, then you may avoid the walking onto thin ice or into open water.
I didn't have a compass with me the day I got turned around.  Long before GPS. Fog lifted enough so I could see shore about a 1/4 mile away.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:18 PM »
I haven't been turned around in a fog, but I have gotten confused as to directions during a ground blizzard with zero visibility. It's a female dog when it happens after dark on a large lake. Luckily I put my GPS on track back and followed my track back to the launch.
I had the same thing happen to me out on Lower Saranac Lake here in NY.  Luckily I remembered a light on the boat house at the DEC canoe launch.  The snow was absolutely terrible that night.  I was fishing with BCJensen from Pennsylvania at the time, and his sled kept tipping over because it was plowing so much snow.  ::)

-Zach

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:06 AM »
 ;D after a spell i was lucky enouph to spot anothers snowmobile track,
 ill just follow him. a mile later i must be going the right direction theres two of them now  ::)  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.