Author Topic: Red Hooks  (Read 1767 times)

Offline kraz

• IceShanty Rookie
Red Hooks
« on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Any comments on whether red hooks make a difference.  May give the small edge!!!  Or is it just a gimmick

I am going to give them a try on a few tip ups this week end.

What do you all think?

Kraz
Dan Kraz

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Red Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:54 AM »
I've never noticed much difference, but as you say if it gives you a slight edge, even if only in your head they are worth the few pennies more they cost. IMO
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:00 AM »
I switched to red hooks with a red glass bead on my tip-ups last year I think they make a difference.  I was out flagging my buddies at least 2:1, this year one of them has changed over to the red hook/glass bead and his flag rate has increased as well.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:12 AM »
I've been using red hooks for Walleyes for some time, I do see a difference.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fishnfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I've been using red hooks faithfully for the last 6 years.  VMC red hooks for walleyes and perch, Eagle Claw goldeyes for plug replacements and tip-ups.  It may all be in my head, but I beleive in them.  Also, I'm a big fan of gold hooks for Crappies.

Offline oldfishead

• IceShanty Rookie
  • oldfishheads never die; we just smell that way !!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:25 AM »
RED HOOKS  :thumbsup:
we are what we eat !!!

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:32 AM »
I switched to red hooks with a red glass bead on my tip-ups last year I think they make a difference.  I was out flagging my buddies at least 2:1, this year one of them has changed over to the red hook/glass bead and his flag rate has increased as well.
I've ued the red hooks for some time now and I believe it makes a difference too. I gotta' try the glass bead though! It makes alot of sense. Looks like a bleeding minnow not to mention the sound clicks it probably produces.
:icefish:

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Been using Gamagetzu red hooks Lazar sharp. Super penetration

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:46 PM »
I have a tipup rigged with a red hook and a couple of beads, and it has performed pretty good for walleye.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 02:58 PM »
I use small red treble hooks on my tip-downs and like them a lot.  I am
going to try some with the bead to see if they make a difference.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I am a believer in red hooks.  I thought that it was a gimmick until I tried them last season.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:58 PM »
i like red hook myself.i only used my tip ups once this year on deruyter and the 4 i caught with tip ups were the the two i set up with red hooks.i switch most of my pimples and kastmasters to red hooks also.but like the one post said whatever makes you think you will have an advantage with in your head go with it .

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:14 PM »
yes red hooks def. work better. as far as the beads dont limit yourself to just the red and orange beads available in the sporting goods section i have yellow and white combos and green and white also orange and black and red and white they all work good this is the 2nd year using them and today i out flagged my buddy 4 to 1 guess hes all done laughing at me spoke to his wife an hour ago and guess what he was out buying at wally world............. if you said colored glass beads you are the grand prize winner. i also add real small willow blades in gold and siver to my tip ups.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fish Stick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Other colors work well, too.

I have had good results with green Gamakatsu hooks.
If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2007, 12:44 AM »
yes red hooks def. work better. as far as the beads dont limit yourself to just the red and orange beads available in the sporting goods section i have yellow and white combos and green and white also orange and black and red and white they all work good this is the 2nd year using them and today i out flagged my buddy 4 to 1 guess hes all done laughing at me spoke to his wife an hour ago and guess what he was out buying at wally world............. if you said colored glass beads you are the grand prize winner. i also add real small willow blades in gold and siver to my tip ups.

water
Willow blades on your tip-ups? I like it! Please tell me more. Just how do you rig 'em?
:icefish:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2007, 01:56 AM »
I'm with fishstick!  Green hooks work best for me on lot's of fish, but salmon love red hooks...
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2007, 07:35 AM »
 I use colored Gamakatsu hooks as well, green, orange, charteuse, pink and glow. Work great on my tipdowns or a jig pole, have caught perch, crappies, walleyes, trout, and northerns on my tipdowns this year on colored hooks. I use red treble hooks on my tip ups.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Every year this subject comes up usualy the red line thread follows, I have had a pack of these red hooks for 3 years now, because of all the hype on them I put them up against my buddies chrome trebles in water thet we always fish and usually catch the same amount of fish, well guess what 3 outings in a row we did this and every friggin time he out fished me, twice by a landslide, I'll never use them again.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Ever try putting a small spinner 6"-12" above the bait? If there is a little current they will spin and with the movement of the bait and no current they will give off some vibration. They probably flash a little on bright sunny days!!! Give them a try also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.