Author Topic: GENZ PAK VS. VEX  (Read 2182 times)

Offline rezrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
GENZ PAK VS. VEX
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Got a question for all you flasher people.I am going to purchase a flasher  next week-end and wondering which one is better for the money, the Genz pak fl8 or vex fl8? I cannot afford the top of the line. I mostly fish water less than 30' any insight would be helpful. Ease of operation is my most concern .

Rezrunner
http:/i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/insearchofperch/logo1-1.jpg

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: GENZ PAK VS. VEX
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:47 PM »
A Genz pack is a Vex.  It's just the carrying case which the Vexilar unit rides on.  I'd say it's a good buy, I had one and loved it.

-Zach

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:50 PM »
Got a question for all you flasher people.I am going to purchase a flasher  next week-end and wondering which one is better for the money, the Genz pak fl8 or vex fl8? I cannot afford the top of the line. I mostly fish water less than 30' any insight would be helpful. Ease of operation is my most concern .

Rezrunner
I had a vex FL 8 for 11 years and sold it to a friend last year,I loved it and so does my friend.  Original battery.If I were you I would look at the vex FL 12 or Fl 20.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:10 PM »
I own a Marcum LX-3tc, which I purchased this year and it is absolutely fantastic!!

The nice thing which the Marcum can do that the Vex can't do is:  As you mentioned you fish in primarily 30' or less.  The LX-3tc can zoom anywhere you want within that water column so you can target fish wherever they are...the vex can only zoom in on the bottom 6ft.

I'm sure I will get razzed over this but, the Marcum has a brighter display than the fl-8 and has more power.  In a side by side comparison the Marcum works better than the fl-8 in my opinion.  I looked at both carefully before purchasing.  I'm sure other Marcum user's would agree  ;)

check it out http://www.marcumtech.com/products/productfront.php?ProdCat1=1

Good Luck with your purchase,

shawno  8)

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Go with the Genz pak it is a lot more heavy duty and it will sit right on top of a bucket i have one and I love it.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Its my understanding that: the FL-8 and FL-18 are offered in 3 different levels of housing (the basic Genz Blue Box; the Pro; and the Ultra).   

The FL -8 or -18 is the same regardless of housing.  The only difference, is each housing has a few more bells and whistles, not any more functional changes.

Hope this helps.

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:24 AM »
The fl8-SE is the better choice. It will fit inside a 5gal bucket and has the battery status meter. The Genz only fits on top of a bucket and does not have the battery meter
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:15 AM »
The FL-8SE is the actual flasher part itself.  There is no difference in that part of it.  Take them off the carrying case and they're identical.  Like Seedtree said, the difference is the carrying case.  When I had my Vexilar, I had the Genz pack, and I liked it.  The Pro Pack and the Ultra Pack are round and fit into a 5 gallon bucket.  However, if you tow your stuff in a Jet Sled, you can put the Genz Pack in a milk crate, or just set it in the sled bottom.

-Zach

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:33 AM »
 Here's my two cents! I love my Fl-18! I wouldn't recommend buying anything but! The difference with the auto-zoom is like nite and day! I always use my auto zoom because the separation is so much clearer and bigger!!! Thats my two cents!!
TEAM  PA.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I have the Lowrance X67c, but I know enough about Vex to give my two cents worth. Get the Genz pak, buy a battery meter from Cabelas and save some $$$. ;)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Well,  here is my four cents worth,  buy fl-18 and never look back or buy fl8 and upgrade later,  it's up to u         J

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:51 PM »
NEVER look back? ... Well ... at least until the NEXT great new and improved thing comes along.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.