Author Topic: Battery Testimonial  (Read 1671 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Battery Testimonial
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I bought a Marcum LX5 a few month's back. With all the warm weather, I had to try it out while in my boat. I took it on two trips like that and then took it on three icefishing trips so far this year. This past Tuesday it went dead on me after about 5 1/2 hours and I was upset. I was thinking how could this have happened, I had it on the charger after every trip. Then I came to realize that I didn't have it hooked up properly so that means that the first charge lasted me somewhere between 23 and 25 hours :o. I guess that means that with Marcum's putting out more power they must use really good batteries so they hold up.
    Jim

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Battery Testimonial
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Awesome news!

I have had my Marcum out twice now and the battery indicator shows only 10% left but it seems to be working fine.  I had some bad luck and my new Marcum arrived without the wall plug that charges the battery.  Marcum client service center has one in the mail to me but I am not sure that it will arrive before the weekend.  It is good to know that I probably could fish the whole weekend again at least before the battery goes dead.

Oh yeah another thing the guy at Markum said was that it is good for these batteries to get fully discharged sometimes before recharging... they last longer doing that I guess.

I am extremely happy with my Marcum LX-5 unit.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Seaweed, I don't really agree with what the Marcum tech told you about it being good to run the battery down all the way once in a while. NiCad batteries are known for needing to be run down all the way once in a while to keep them from developing a memory. Your  Marcum battery is a lead acid battery like the one in your vehicle. Have you ever had a mechanic tell you that it is good to run your car battery down all the way once in a while? Sometimes these people will tell you these things just to ease your mind about something. I would guess that your owners manual tells you to charge the battery after every use also. Probably within 24 hrs. ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:52 PM »
I always connect the charger after every day out.  Granted I use it only a few hour each outting, but the charge indicator has never read anything less than 100%...well okay maybe one time it read 90%, but it doesn't seem to go through batteries very fast!

MD.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:50 AM »
I don't think you have to worry about lead acid batteries developing memory (do you?). I'm pretty sure you can throw them on the charger after every use. Most of the time I'm on the ice four hours up to ... ??  I always recharge to about 13.5 volts so I'm always ready for a long day.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Then I came to realize that I didn't have it hooked up properly so that means that the first charge lasted me somewhere between 23 and 25 hours :o. I guess that means that with Marcum's putting out more power they must use really good batteries so they hold up.
    Jim
I'm glad to here that the battery seems to last long enough, I recently purchased a LX3, but have not had a chance to take it on the ice yet.  I am curious to know how you could not have hooked up your LX5 properly?  Isn't it simply a matter of plug into battery and wall?   Doesn't it have the charge percentage indicator?  I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, I just want to avoid any downtime on the ice.  Thx.
How do you like the unit thus far?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I'm glad to here that the battery seems to last long enough, I recently purchased a LX3, but have not had a chance to take it on the ice yet.  I am curious to know how you could not have hooked up your LX5 properly?  Isn't it simply a matter of plug into battery and wall?   Doesn't it have the charge percentage indicator?  I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, I just want to avoid any downtime on the ice.  Thx.
How do you like the unit thus far?
I was really hoping that noone asked me that question :-[. I always unhook the connection when I am done fishing and just never thought to hook it back up when charging. I use to use a vex fl8 and since I upgraded to the lx5 I love it. The variable zoom for them crappies is awesome ;)
        Jim

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:22 PM »
I was really hoping that noone asked me that question :-[. I always unhook the connection when I am done fishing and just never thought to hook it back up when charging. I use to use a vex fl8 and since I upgraded to the lx5 I love it. The variable zoom for them crappies is awesome ;)
        Jim
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry about the question.  It happens to the best of us.  I'm really happy to hear that the battery lasted that long, it was something I was worried about.  I may spend a couple of days fishing this spring with no way to charge up, so I may need it to last 12 hours or so.  Glad you like the unit as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.