The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Need Info on Jigging Smelt at Lake Quinsigamond, Worcester, MA!!!  (Read 3034 times)

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
I went to check out lake Quinsigamond of Worcester to see if anyone was out there smelt fishing.  I was bothered by the police because i was in a "known drug dealing spot".  I was searched and kicked out.  I was wondering if there was more secluded areas than behind the fallon clinic?  If you could help me find the fish, a spot, and give me some good techniques that would be very helpful.  What time to go?  What to use for bait?  What kind of rigs?  Any information possible.  PLEASE.  Or any other great smelt fishing lakes.  Thank you. 

WE FINALLY HAVE ICE!!!

Offline bigbrother

• IceShanty Rookie
20yrs ago my dad used take us out there at night, there would be a dozen lanterns out there on fri or sat.  I haven't seen a lantern in 10 yrs, I don't know if the pollution that has been a problem has wiped them out or if nobody fishes for them anymore.  Let me know if you find anything, Montagues on Lake Ave might be able to give you some info.

Offline tibbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SUMTINWONG
good luck ,there hasen"t been smelt in there for over 20years .good tip don"t waste your time.

Offline TheBigPickerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Littleville Reservoir in Huntington/Chester Mass has great smelt fishing mid-late february.

It's a long hike from the parking lot to the good smelt spot, about a mile. Jig with very light line in approximately 40 of water.  If you see other people there ask them questions,  most are locals that love to brag and show off their catch.  They know the lake like the back of their hand, and will surely point you into the right direction.  catching 2 dozen smelt is very possible. 

The lake has no houses, and is a back up drinking water reservoir.  Snowmobiles and ATVs are permitted.  They will definitely save you the mile long walk to the smelt area at the northern end of the reservoir. 

The lake has lots of perch, and is stocked with trout.   It does have bass and pickerel, but the action is slow since it is a very deep cold water reservoir. 

CAUTION, THE WIND IS ALWAYS BRUTUAL, bring extra clothing.

Offline bigbrother

• IceShanty Rookie
good luck ,there hasen"t been smelt in there for over 20years .good tip don"t waste your time.

Too bad, used to be a good time.  Now you've got that sewage overflow everytime it rains hard.

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
thanks bigpickerel I'm goin next weekend.  Do you go at nigh, becuse i plan on trout fishin with the smelt

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting

Does that mean there's no more trout >:(

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict

Does that mean there's no more trout >:(

NO it means that the stocking truck has to go there more often,  but i guess if there are no smelt there are no other fish either.  I think trout eat other bait fish besides smelt
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.