Author Topic: IS it Time to put the tip ups away???  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep the tackle box free of old minnows :)
IS it Time to put the tip ups away???
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Yep i think my icefishing years are passing me by to quickly. I reminis of the icefishin days of my past
 a boot full of ice and frozen nose brings a tear to my eye.
The smell of rancid old minnows and auger gas on my cold hands  makes the women run for shellter but makes my mouth water.
I am a Canadian ICE ANGLER~!
Nothing beats a stiff sniff of warm wiskey shared amongest close friends on a frozen lake of fish. Or talk of the big walleye that got away.
I feel the cold more now than ever did.
IS IT TIME TO PUT THE TIP UPS AWAY?
THE END

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IS it Time to put the tip ups away???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:32 PM »
no ;D    I guess at 28 such a thought is preposterous however i watched my grandfather give me and cousins all of his gear a few years back.   Said he still loves it just hurts too much :-\   I wish I had the chance to have gone with him but we still run his boat so thats cool. I will ask respectfully though if you can still do it why stop?

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:34 PM »

Thats the attitude i like to see good point. Just dont wanna be around me when im thawing out  ;D

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Fish on!!!!!  You sound like a die hard and love what you're doing.  Grease em up and fish! ;D  My dad had 2 knee replacements and he would rather be dead if I couldnt drag him out there to fish.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Im not sure anyone would want to be around a long time icer when he puts the gear away either ;)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:45 PM »
What are you talking about? I met a man at Sportsman Warehouse today in his early 80's. He had just bought a small Fabrill shanty and came back to make sure he was assembling it correctly. Went on to show me the reason for his purchase. Two frostbitten fingers that were peeling and two dark colored fingernails. Found out he doesn't have good feeling in his hands and didn't know the frostbite was happening; so he bought a shanty and heater to continue ice fishing. We talked about the smaller size of his new purchase and he told me it was just right because he mainly goes ice fishing alone! We talked awhile about jigs and where the fish were biting. I had a grand time sharing info with this man. Oh ya, he has a disabled license plate; so at least the state allows him to use his ATV on the ice to transport his gear. The twinkle in his eye told me all I needed to know about his passion for the sport. I guess the old adage about you are only as old as you feel is true. You can grab life by the tail and hang on or settle down on the sofa... its your choice. I'll take the tail anytime!

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I have fallen in the ice hut and cant get up lmao lmao

Offline tarmitten

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Where may I send a sympathy card? ;)<<>><
"My wife got a new ice auger for me...she said it was the best trade she ever made!!!"

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:09 PM »

Sure dam send the sympathy im all out of sympathy.

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:22 PM »
I guess I just dont like to hear it,  but why ever give up anything alltogether,  if its the cold thats got you, just do like a lot of my old ice fishing buddies and just go out when its nice, not everyday has to be 20 below. as long as theres ice under your feet, if youve put in the time and have some young bloods to fish with make them change the bait and do the real cold  work for ya.
Ice Freak

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:31 AM »
We are only 40 but my hunting partner of 25 years and I joke all the time of when we get old. He figures on needing to be tied to the tree and given a picture of a deer. And ladder stands will be the norm not the climbers we use now. Pick your days and get some of the gadgets for comfort that are available. Find a young person to share the load and pass your fishing knowledge to. Buy pay attention they may know a thing or two also.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Yep i think my icefishing years are passing me by to quickly. I reminis of the icefishin days of my past
 a boot full of ice and frozen nose brings a tear to my eye.
The smell of rancid old minnows and auger gas on my cold hands  makes the women run for shellter but makes my mouth water.
I am a Canadian ICE ANGLER~!
Nothing beats a stiff sniff of warm wiskey shared amongest close friends on a frozen lake of fish. Or talk of the big walleye that got away.
I feel the cold more now than ever did.
ITS IT TIME TO PUT THE TIP UPS AWAY?
THE END
I cant believe your a Manitobian its embarrassing this dribble

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:28 PM »

Honestly, the post sounded like a verse or a limrick of sorts. I don't know if that's it or your really down. Great verse if it is, you caught some real attention with it. If I'm wrong, don't discourage, maybe your best day is still ahead!  ;) :tipup:

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:29 PM »
How old are u
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:33 PM »
If Charleton Heston were an ice fisherman he'd say, "You can have my tip up when you can pry it from my cold, dead hand". If your health doesn't allow for you to get out in the cold weather, park your bucket near the door and pray for those rare 70 degree days, and pay someone to take a lazy boy out there for you. Never, ever, ever , ever, give up!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:05 PM »
I cant believe your a Manitobian its embarrassing this dribble
believe it i am  ;D are you? And no you will never find my fishing spots lol :D

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:27 AM »
try Juvenon (google it) Ribose and creatine, liquid b12,fish oil  and a good iron free multivitamin. You'll spend per day less than a cig smoker does and they seem to be able to afford it. ...in about 3 months feel like you turned the clock back 20+ years. Whatdahave to lose? A few bucks? Add an exercise program and physically and mentally you will most likely feel like a new man. Take it from an old guy too.  Until  I look in a mirror, I think I'm 25.

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:59 AM »
sorry i have to ask, are you giving up on icefishing or life in general????
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:22 AM »
     I've been running into this guy who looks to be in his late 70's to 80's out on one of the lakes this year.  I give the guy credit he hauls his stuf all out there and fishes outside all day, and he goes alone.  A real friendly and talkitive guy always with a story to tell.  He also talks a lot about hunting.  The old guy has game.  Hope i'm half that able to do things when I'm that age(if i make it)

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:54 AM »
YOU DON'T QUIT FISHING BECAUSE YOU GET OLD.

YOU GET OLD BECAUSE YOU QUIT FISHING!!!
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I guess I just dont like to hear it,  but why ever give up anything alltogether,  if its the cold thats got you, just do like a lot of my old ice fishing buddies and just go out when its nice, not everyday has to be 20 below. as long as theres ice under your feet, if youve put in the time and have some young bloods to fish with make them change the bait and do the real cold  work for ya.
Great point crappiegirl!!!
Fish when I can

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:20 AM »
You will get plenty of time to rest when its really over........  Blow your nose, put your coat on and get out there.........  Fish On

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.