Author Topic: Frustrating day  (Read 1563 times)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Frustrating day
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Went out to a lake mentioned on here in several posts lately.  In a couple hours I only managed 5 fish, all nice gills.  The frustrating part is my friend/coworker fishing with me caught over 50 that size, mostly 9 plus inches.  You can probably imagine how annoyed I was getting.  Fishing basically side by side hole hoping, I am still baffled.  Most fish caught with no bait, they didn't seem to want bait at all.  My 5 fish hit pretty hard, but he told me they were very lite bites, so maybe I just wasn't seeing my spring move when they were inhaling it.  Fish were on bottom, had to jig them up off the bottom, I had tons of fish come up to my jig.  I guess its off to buy more sensitive springs.  After the embarrassment I received I sat on my bucket with a rod in it which snapped in half, and I just bought it, used it once the other day.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frustrating day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Went out to a lake mentioned on here in several posts lately.  In a couple hours I only managed 5 fish, all nice gills.  The frustrating part is my friend/coworker fishing with me caught over 50 that size, mostly 9 plus inches.  You can probably imagine how annoyed I was getting.  Fishing basically side by side hole hoping, I am still baffled.  Most fish caught with no bait, they didn't seem to want bait at all.  My 5 fish hit pretty hard, but he told me they were very lite bites, so maybe I just wasn't seeing my spring move when they were inhaling it.  Fish were on bottom, had to jig them up off the bottom, I had tons of fish come up to my jig.  I guess its off to buy more sensitive springs.  After the embarrassment I received I sat on my bucket with a rod in it which snapped in half, and I just bought it, used it once the other day.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice ones that you did get though.
Just be thankful we finally have ice.
You have more time to get out there before it vanishes
Enjoy the time there. We have waited OH SO LONG for it to get here!

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:11 PM »
If the water isn't too deep I'm sold on high viz yellow line.  Don't use too heavy a jig so there is still some flex in the line.  I use 2 lb with a 2 lb vanish leader.  No spring bobber.  Jig up and down very slowly and watch the line slack up or tighten up. I think its more sensitive that a spring bobber.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I've been on both ends of days like that...
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline gillgetter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:50 PM »
When it"s tough I go to 16 or 18 hooks, sometimes makes a big difference. Try it the next time it might work for you.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:10 PM »
I've found that as i'm jigg'in i'm SLOWLY raisin the rod. I see more weight on my springs than i do hits. I can't believe how many fish will move up eat it and NOT move my indicator. (aqua vue) only move less than an inch, but you'll see the weight.
my 02 cts.
ps still got your flies (sz 14 incl)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Crappie66...I have been there both on the ice and soft water...It is usually A-Bomb that is kicking my butt!!!

I use a similar technique to A-Bomb’s; I very rarely keep my jig still.  I will show the fish the jig and then very slowly (emphasis on SLOWLY) move my jig upwards.  If the fish follows 9 times out of 10 he is committed b/c he is expending energy to investigate your offering.  Most of the time they will take the jig as you are slowly raising you offering and you will see your spring bobber start to flex downward indicating tension on the line.  Often it is slight, but you would miss it if you were not slowly raising you rod. 

2 rhythms I use as I raise
1. Slowly pumping the spring bobber which imparts a magical pivoting motion to a horizontal jig.
2. Ticking the rod blank with my index finger which gives the jig a fast jiggle.

I bait the jig according to the mood of the fish...
Aggress >>> No bait.
Nuetral or Negative >>> small single spike.

A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:36 PM »
AHHHHH, the old finger tick.   

That brings a smile to my face. ;)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:55 AM »

I was out this past weekend both Sat & Sun,not one bite had several lookers but no biters.
                  I moved around allot and tried different colored jigs,Towards sunset I switched over to minnows,
                  with same results,lookers but no biters.This was the first weekend this season on the ice,and it felt
                  GREAT !!! I've got some off time next week and I am going to try very hard to change my luck.
                  But I guess the best thing is, we now have ice,and icing fish is now up to me and my best
                  friend,Mr. Vexxxxxxxxxxxxxx  !!!!!!!!!!  Stay Positive and enjoy our Sport,Remember this is Indiana
                  and the weather can change quickly ..........     jhc  FISH-ON !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ICE T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:29 AM »
TRY A LIMBER ROD AND TIGHTLINE WITH NO SPRING. I LEARNED FROM WATCHING RUFUSWAGS AND IT HELPED ME CATCH MORE FISH. BIG D,S BAIT AND TACKLE IN ANGOLA CARRIES CUSTOM MADE RODS JUST LIKE THE ONES WE USE. 2 OR 3# GAMMA LINE HAS BEEN WORKING GREAT FOR ME. REFINE THIS TECHNIQUE AND GO KICK YOUR BUDDIES BUTT.  :tipup:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:43 AM »
Drop to 1lb line.....loosen your drag.....watch the living pi55 out of your line. Sometimes I hook up just by seeing my line move from side to side, slacken up or just quiver. You probably don't need people telling you how to fish. But, I know this, I've had my arse handed to me on occasion and most of the time its because I refuse to experiment or I just get lazy.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:19 AM »
You probably don't need people telling you how to fish. But, I know this, I've had my arse handed to me on occasion and most of the time its because I refuse to experiment or I just get lazy.

I don't mind the tips, always willing to experiment and change things up.  Usually I am on the other end of the spectrum catching fish left and right, but yesterday was a different story.  We were both using the same exact jig, black with silver glitter.  I currently have the blue Cold Water 2 lb test line on my rod, and my drag is extremely loose, it screams when I catch a 7 inch bluegill.  I am using a 19 inch noodle rod, the tip can bend all the way around and touch the rod handle.  I think a more sensitive spring might help, and instead of just lowering the jig to the fish present on the Vex I will take it to the bottom then work my way up slowly.  Hopefully get back out there in the next couple days, so much to do, so little time.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:37 AM »
I also use a noodle rod. I love the sensibility. Rufus and AngolaJones can work these things to perfection. I am just dabbling in the skill but I do fairly well compared to the other anglers on the ice.

Also if you want to get a lot of bites and arent concerned with breaking off once in a while, go to walmarts sewing section and buy white thread and spool up with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.