Author Topic: Reminder to ice fisherman  (Read 3082 times)

walleyechaser

Reminder to ice fisherman
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:37 AM »
PICK UP YOUR GD TRASH AND BEER CANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick of seeing people leaving their crap laying around and giving us all a bad name.  I picked up a bunch of plastic bags, cigarette packs, and beer cans saturday.  Theres no excuse for this. 

Same goes for spent propane bottles.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
Re: Reminder to ice fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:48 AM »
That goes for ice fisherman, soft water guys, hunters, hikers....
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I agree! Are they too lazy to throw their trash down an ice hole?? Just kidding. I hate that also. They think the world will pick up after them. Must have someone picking up after them at home too.

walleyechaser

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:50 AM »
That goes for ice fisherman, soft water guys, hunters, hikers....

Yes

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:54 AM »
If you fail to heed WC';s advice, you may continue to see access to your favorite honey holes drying up. Especially now that propane bottles have begun to litter the ice, I have heard many lakes area residents talking about limting access.
Your failure to follow this advice just gives riparian owners more ammo in court.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:33 PM »
If you fail to heed WC';s advice, you may continue to see access to your favorite honey holes drying up. Especially now that propane bottles have begun to litter the ice, I have heard many lakes area residents talking about limting access.
Your failure to follow this advice just gives riparian owners more ammo in court.

The area that I normally fish at the Bay of Quinte has had no parking on the roads for years. The residents were tired of people throwing trash on their properties. I'm lucky that I know someone down there and I can park in his driveway and then walk off his shoreline.

If you're going to take something that is going to cause waste then make sure you take the waste back with you. If everyone left their crap on the ice we'd be severly harming the environment that we all enjoy.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I typically bring an extra bag so I can bring home more than I take out; always.  I cant believe what absolute slobs some people are; makes me ill!

Offline diehard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Likely there are few if any people on this site who do this. I think it may be associated more so with the kind of guys who only go out once or twice a season and are going out to party.
They don't have to walk by that pile of trash again.
I think picking up after people is a good idea because if someone doesn't it will sit there and residents will be mad, the trash is just going to end up in the lake, and it isn't like it will promote litting.
I'm not saying to go out of your way to clean up after these little kids but I doesn't hurt anything to pick it up on your way by if you have free hands/room.
Rain, sun, sleet, snow grab the minnows and let's go!

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:36 PM »
not a time goes by when i don't pick up someone elses trash. pack it in, pack it out

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:51 PM »
I hate seeing all the cigarette butts and chewing spit on the ice.  Another reason to band tobacco.  Also dog dodo is a big gripe of mine.  Always some by were all the guys put their sleds in their cars or trucks.  Out to be a law on this.

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I just ran an ice fishing derby in maine with 4 hundred people.  i was kind of surprised to see that there really wasnt all that much trash on the ice.  I picked up probably 30 cans most of them full, good for me.  and two propan bottle, also full, a skimmer, and a few other odds and ends.  looks like most of the stuff had fallen out on the ride back from fishing.  I know where all the iceshanty member were fishing on the pond and i didnt find a single piece of trash.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I hate seeing all the cigarette butts and chewing spit on the ice.  Another reason to band tobacco.  Also dog dodo is a big gripe of mine.  Always some by were all the guys put their sleds in their cars or trucks.  Out to be a law on this.

same here that is what i hate most the cigarette buds and packs.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:00 PM »
It didn,t seem like to much effort to bring there crap to the lake So take it HOME! >:(

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I would hope to think that every iceshanty member is picking up there trash so your probably just wasting your breath.If they are a member they are probably just as dedicated sportsman as we are and pick up after people like we do. :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:29 PM »
I'm guilty on those ciggy butts, I'll do better!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:35 PM »
I'm guilty on those ciggy butts, I'll do better!
Thank you slimechaser i wish everyone wood do the same :) :)

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Its amazing to me when I take people out who never ice fished before they are suprised that at the end of the day when you are almost too cold to move and you gotta poop real bad, that I still take the time to clean up da spot. You just gotta do it.  I like fishing clean water i know all ice shanty members feel the same
Ice Freak

Offline modeltrainlover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike maniac!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Its amazing to me when I take people out who never ice fished before they are suprised that at the end of the day when you are almost too cold to move and you gotta poop real bad, that I still take the time to clean up da spot. You just gotta do it.  I like fishing clean water i know all ice shanty members feel the same
I've seen you roll some logs into the holes before they ice up before we leave, so amen. keep it clean, nobody wants to step in your poo.

Offline fishnfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:40 PM »
I pay my kids $2.00 for every little grocery bag they can fill up with other peoples trash.  It's a game for them, but I use the time to teach a lesson as well.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:17 PM »
I pay my kids $2.00 for every little grocery bag they can fill up with other peoples trash.  It's a game for them, but I use the time to teach a lesson as well.

Hey, can I get in on that deal! ;)
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:23 PM »
And don't throw your garbage in the bed of my truck whoever you are ??? ??? ???

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:40 PM »
    I can't stand the trash on the ice.  Take it back with you.  Sunday I picked up 4 beer cans and a coffe cup.  The guy was leaving a beer can at every hole he drilled.  I don't have a child old enough to take along yet but there are plenty who do.  We don't want to teach them that it is ok to let trash out there (or any where woods, out car window, ect.). 

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:54 PM »
Sunday when i was leaving Honeoye lake,south end,i picked up 4 bottles of budweisers and 4 cans of milwaukees best cans.And a shopping bag with garbadge in it.And on the ice i found a wad of used line all balled up. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 PM »
At a lake I fish some nuggets jumped on my holes not two minutes after I left.  Next day I seen they stuck their beer cans in the holes and they were frozen in...left their cigar butts, wadded up line, some paper trash and peed all over the place.  The worst bit though was that they marked the spot with a bunch of rocks.  Picked up what I could and dumped the rocks down my holes when I left for the day.

Granted I'm not the cleanest out on the ice...I pour my leftover cold coffee on the ice and field dress my cigarettes (but pack out the butts) but I don't nor would ever think of just walking away from my spot without taking out my trash.  I also walk to shore to take a pee or do it in a bottle...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2007, 04:38 PM »
I can't figure out why some people think that the middle of a frozen lake is the place to dispose of their spent 1 lb propane cylinders. I have come off of the ice with six of the darn things that were blowing around on ice and that was just in the area that I traveled.  :(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Ya carried it in, and it's even lighter going out.  It's slobs that give the rest a bad rep.
Shut up and fish.

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:15 AM »
I smoke but do my best to put the butts in the jet sled and clean it out when I get home . Not hard to do at all . I too hate to see trash anywhere outdoors . Propane cylinders I can't believe someone would leave them out there but I have picked up about a dozen myself and some would still have fuel in them . How come they don't leave there fishfinder or aquaview out there too . I would be happy to pick them up for them .
Utah Ice

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Had a jerk last weekend on Sandy Pond leave a pile of dead small perch in his holes. If you don't want to clean them let them go. If I see that again I'll be calling the DEC. I'd recognize the culprit. Gives us all a bad name.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Had a jerk last weekend on Sandy Pond leave a pile of dead small perch in his holes. If you don't want to clean them let them go. If I see that again I'll be calling the DEC. I'd recognize the culprit. Gives us all a bad name.

I agree, in all states and provinces, littering is a offense punishable by a fine (usually quite high) so if you see some yahoos littering, record their plate numbers and call your natural resource enforcement lads.  They will get then eventually and they appreciate the call, trust me in Saskatchewan they like the tips!

Keep it clean out there

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:43 PM »
carry out the trash, on the ice on the soft water and along those trout streams. Nobody wants to see your crap! I carry a trash bag and pick up stuff on the way out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.