Author Topic: ice thickness  (Read 5056 times)

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
ice thickness
« on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:44 PM »
anybody been out yet on any lake around regina. I was wondering how thick the ice is. I have heard there is still open water at Katepwa. 4 inches on Buffalo and 9 inches on parys of long lake

Offline Natureboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:ice thickness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2003, 12:05 AM »
I know it is about 6-8 inches on Misson.  But the center of the lake is still open.  But now with the recent cold weather, should be thicker.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2003, 07:12 PM »
I was out to Kanukama on fri nov 28 and the ice was 11 to 13 inches thick there was lots of shacks out as well as trucks . Still a lot of old guy's that were parking on shore and walking out. I got skunked but hears a few guys farther out were catching

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice thickness
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:03 PM »
November 23/05 the ICE IS MELTING!! :( .  Got about 1.5 inches on buffalo pound and maybe and inch on Pasqua lake.  Hope the cold comes soon cause that little cold spell was just a tease.

C ya all

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:42 AM »
 It won't be long now,(presently -8) but you have to be really careful where the trestle used to be because the current can cause the ice to go from a foot thick to zip in no space at all.  I was testing with the auger early one year and some guy was driving straight for me just as I found I was on 2", and it had been a foot thick 10' away.  I stopped him from getting a carwash.   Indeeptreble, how did you do on Fri, Nov 28?  :D  Typo?  I'm curious enough I'm going to go get my mail, check my place, and see if there's any ice at Pelican yet.  Sometimes there's a few inches straight west between Pelican and the cutbank when there's still open water to the north and south.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like this post is from.......
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2005, 10:18 AM »
It won't be long now,(presently -8) but you have to be really careful where the trestle used to be because the current can cause the ice to go from a foot thick to zip in no space at all.  I was testing with the auger early one year and some guy was driving straight for me just as I found I was on 2", and it had been a foot thick 10' away.  I stopped him from getting a carwash.   Indeeptreble, how did you do on Fri, Nov 28?  :D  Typo?  I'm curious enough I'm going to go get my mail, check my place, and see if there's any ice at Pelican yet.  Sometimes there's a few inches straight west between Pelican and the cutbank when there's still open water to the north and south.

2003 not this year.... I haven't heard many people out on the ice here yet. Maybe in a week or two :)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2005, 01:58 PM »
AAaaaaaahhhhhh  2003.. not too often someone ressurects a 2 year old thread!  There's skim ice right on the corner at RB..... in a line between Regina Beach and about Alta Vista and there's a little open water at Valeport.  Other than that it's all whitecaps.  Not enough ice there to make a rum and coke.  All it takes is a real calm cold night and we get a start.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can't wait for the freeze to start also
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2005, 02:59 PM »
I'm in Regina and have been watching our little lake freeze and melt now for too long. My tanks are full, the shack is ready, now I just need some ice. I was starting to think that I should go and buy a few sheets of white insulation and cut a couple of holes in it and then take it to lake and float it around just to get the feeling of watching my rods for a bite :) I guess I will just have to wait like ever one else :)

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Things are pretty slow ice wise around Regina.  Went to buffalo pound today and theres maybe 3-4 inchs and the four lakes i've heard have spot with 2 inchs and still some open water so i donno best thing to do is check it out urself.  thats all i know.  If you have any updates let me know

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Welcome to the Sask. part of iceshanty BRINGTHEICE64 and Natureboy.
I myself like to wait until I have 1 to 1 1/2 of ice. Probably won't be out until after Christmas. ::)
I heard rumors that Wascana Lake was stocked this year. Is this true? :-\
If it is, that would be great for the folks of Regina.

WW

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Thanks water wolf.  Well i'm from Regina and there was rumors about Wascana being stocked but they havn't stocked it yet.  Well the forcast is calling for below temperatures for the rest of the week it's 10:52am and it's -6  :).Anyone heard from Pasqua,Echo,Mission,Katepwah on ice conditions??.  Qeustion how do u get those lil pictures beside your profile?.  thanks talk to ya all l8er

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Store your picture in a 3rd party site like photobucket or sharemation or some such free service and make sure you set the properties to 'share' or 'public view'.  Then click on 'profile' up beside the logout button on this page  and then on 'forum profile information' on the left side. Click on 'I have my own photo' and enter the url of yr photo in the space provided.  If it won't fly because it's too big I'm sure one of the helpful mods can get it re-sized for you.  One thing I've noticed the last couple of years is that the fishing lakes (Pasqua, Echo, Mission, and Katepwa) no longer seem to ice up much before Last Mtn, and no longer get significantly thicker ice.  Consequence of global warming?
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Thanks Buzzbomb for the info.  Ya i've noticed that as well, in regards to the Last Mtn and the 4 lakes.  Were did u mostly fish last year Buzzbomb?.  I put my shack on Collingwood at Last Mtn for probably the fisrt 5 weeks, wow were things ever slow esspecially fishing for perch it seemed as if the lake just died.  After the numerous weeks with poor fishing I decided to take the shack to echo and try my luck there.  Fishing was alot better and i was seeing alot more perch on the Aqua-VU at echo compared to Last Mtn.  Ne ways i was just wondering which lake/lakes you fished and how was ur luck?. TTYL

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:51 AM »
We did best on Mission, although early on Echo was ok in front of the hatchery.  It turns into a mob scene there and there were lots of nuisance tullibes.   The key to fishing Last Mtn I think is to be there at the right times, certain places produce early on and some only get hot in March.  Last year we got reports of a good bite on the West side at Wee-too/Alice Beach as well as Swanstons Point but driving up and down the lake didn't do us any good at all.  At Pelican Pte you can always fish for dogs and jacks out in the middle at the head of the point and move out a little deeper to try for perch or pics.  I like the middle between Pelican and the cutbank on the west side for perch and at times in front of that cutbank is a good spot for pickerel.  Guys from Silton used to put their shacks south of Swanstons every year over about 30' of water and do well.  That's one of the steepest spots if you look at the contour map... going to 85' or so if memory serves me right.  I've been storing a big steel bar on the bottom there for about 20 years now  :D  That's where I'd put my shack if I had one.  The map's upside down, Swanston's is called Gibbs Beach here.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Buzzbomb where are you from?.  Ya it was really tough to get around the lake last year snow coming out your ying yang.  early in the season we did okay for walleye at collingwood but we couldn't find the perch to save our souls.  Ne way i think were gonna probably put the shack out at pasqua or Echo this year depending on which lake were catching at, during first ice. it's currently 9 below were makin ICE!  

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:04 AM »
I'm in Regina, Bringtheice. I noticed Wascana was covered yesterday when I drove by.  Think there's any fish in there? ;)
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:05 AM »
LOL, O ya BUZZ i think there might be some floating around ;).  Hey Buzz you heard about any ice conditions around our area??, wev'e had some cool weather for a few day now and i was just wondering if you have heard anything.  I heard 3 inchs on the west end of pasqua.  Have a good one ttyl!!.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:49 AM »
I went out to Pelican Pte. yesterday, Thursday Dec 1 and the lake is frozen over.  I asked a friend out there if he'd been fishing yet, and he was horrified.  Apparently it just froze over the night before and was probably only an inch thick so I gave it a miss.  Probably it will be safe to walk on (carefully, of course) by Saturday or Sunday.  I could see ice as far north as I could see and from the top of the hill at Pelican the last point of land I can see is about as far as the stone barn (about 5 miles). On the way back I drove into Condie and went out and drilled a hole.  The ice there is about 5" I fished in the wind for 5 minutes or so just to say I'd been out already but I wonder if there's even any fish left in there! :D
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Buzz thx for the update, sounds like its finally on the way. Will be there over Xmas, so lets keep it cold.
Later TJ

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Do any of you folks around Regina ever fish the Oyama reservoir? I hear it has perch and pike fishing. What is the ice thickness on it?

WW

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Oyama
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:37 PM »
It did, bass too, but it always winter kills. Not sure about the last 3 years.

Offline king fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2005, 11:54 AM »
anyone been to barrier i kno the ice thickness if anyone is wondering it is 12''to 16'' varying in places

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.