Author Topic: aqua vu  (Read 1834 times)

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
aqua vu
« on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:12 PM »
was just wondering how far a person can see with a camera the reason is I am building a shack 6x10 if I put the camera down a hole in the middle would I see the hooks in the 4 corner holes?
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: aqua vu
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:39 PM »
was just wondering how far a person can see with a camera the reason is I am building a shack 6x10 if I put the camera down a hole in the middle would I see the hooks in the 4 corner holes?
[/quote Gen clear water, sunny day I helped guide a friend to a big gill 20'.  I would say on a clear lake you would have no trouble seeing the 4 corners.  Hope you have a mo pod if you plan on fishing this way.  Before a storm you will be lucky to see 3'.  Don't expect to see 20' very  often.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:54 PM »
that last response was confusing  :o
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline chewster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Hey Dad, it's cold, put another log on the fire"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2007, 04:17 PM »

I had an Aqua-Vu out on Long Lake last winter in my shack.  We were in about 20 FOW.  I had 3 holes drilled all in a row with about 2 1/2' of spacing between each other.  The camera was in the middle hole.  I could see each hook and bait clearly without any problem.  I think visibility would have been 10' or more.  Past that the hook just becomes too small IMO. :tipup:
The Chewster

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:27 PM »
It all depends on the depth of water your in, and the water clarity. My camera works better in some lakes than others because of lighting differences.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:05 AM »
It all depends on the depth of water your in, and the water clarity. My camera works better in some lakes than others because of lighting differences.

This response is dead on. But as Chewster said the hook gets too small to see at certain distances. With my MC-Series that is about six feet tops. The best distance is 3' - 4' to watch your bait closely. On average I can normally count on seeing fish activity at 8' - 10' in just about all conditions. Much farther in real clear water.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:09 PM »
The following is a quote from the Aqua VU FAQ....

How far can I see?

Naturally, the clearer the water the farther you can see. As a general rule the camera will "see" two times farther than the human eye in water. If you can see 3 feet down you will be able to see approximately 6 feet with the camera. This is a general rule and all bodies of water will vary. For anglers, two feet of visibility is sufficient for studying bottom structure with an underwater camera.

UG

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:38 AM »
I need a little advice...Bought a Scout XL last year and have a heck of a time positioning the camera. I get sick of messing with it because it takes up so much fishing time. I haven't bought a tripod or stand yet, and was wondering what you guys prefer??? Also... As far as the monitor goes, what do you set it on for ease of viewing??? Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.   

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:37 PM »
I use two pieces of lath about a foot long and lay them on top of each other and screw one end together then just slide the cablein the openend and the tension will support the camera with the wood setting on top of the ice then rotate until desired angle of view.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Thanks PerchPuller.. I looked through some older posts and read about a lot of similar ideas to yours. I'll try and make something up before this weekend. Thanks again!!!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:24 AM »
Works good and costs pretty much nothin' a plus if it goes down the hole :o :tipup:
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.