Author Topic: Safe ice  (Read 1418 times)

Offline IceGnome

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe ice
« on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:01 AM »
What is the best way to test the ice to see if it is strong enough to fish on?
When Hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.>:D

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Re: Safe ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:23 AM »
I just usually walk out a little ways in shallow water and cut a hole. 2" or better is ok for me, depends on your tolerance for thin ice.

Robb :tipup:

Offline diehard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Just because the ice is safe every 20ft for 200ft doesn't mean you should stop checking.
And just because people are out on their fourwheelers doesn't mean the ice is safe everywhere.
This past weekend the owner of a lodge on a lake my sister lives on put out the ice shacks. ''Tourists'' renting the cabins were out skidooing around at night in -20C and found out that really deep holes don't form ice over them as quickly as other places. They got out alive but probably wont forget that again.
Rain, sun, sleet, snow grab the minnows and let's go!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Just because the ice is safe every 20ft for 200ft doesn't mean you should stop checking.
And just because people are out on their fourwheelers doesn't mean the ice is safe everywhere.
This past weekend the owner of a lodge on a lake my sister lives on put out the ice shacks. ''Tourists'' renting the cabins were out skidooing around at night in -20C and found out that really deep holes don't form ice over them as quickly as other places. They got out alive but probably wont forget that again.

Very good advice!

Also every lake is different. Personally I've never been swimming in January and I don't want to start.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Walk with a spud, and hit the ice with it the whole way out.  Keep stopping to check the actual thickness, but if the ice holds up to a good wack with the spud, then you're good.  If it does go though with one hit, stop and slowly back up until you find good ice again.  I've been fishing first ice for a long time this way, and never been though (knock on wood).  I also don't fish in areas with current early...

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:16 AM »
Right now on the Saginaw River in Saginaw MI, there are people on the river fishing. But not far from them the river is open and there is a strong current in the River. Is it worth the risk for a fish, I don't think so! ::)
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:34 AM »
send some out biger than you haha no..that would be bad just drill a buch of holes...
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Just keep drilling holes and checking the ice every 30 feet.

Just take your time and be careful.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:01 PM »
I just usually walk out a little ways in shallow water and cut a hole. 2" or better is ok for me, depends on your tolerance for thin ice.

Not questioning your method but I wouldn't trust that !
Ice always starts in the shallows therefore should be the thickest ice all season under normal conditions .
Just use a spud and go home dry !

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:38 PM »
we send the heaviest person out on first and last ice in the front of the group. then the second biggest person follows with a rope then whoever else is out follows behind with the gear. since im the heaviest person out of my friends im always first and every couple steps i take a whack at the ice with a heavy axe because i dont own a spud yet. :-\ only been through once but that was really shallow area that had a spring close to it.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Early and unfamilar ice I spud and drill.  Spud 20'30' drill to verify thickness, repeat.  IMO on 1st ice I would rather foget my bait, beer,  and Vex before I would want to forget my spud.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Early and unfamilar ice I spud and drill.  Spud 20'30' drill to verify thickness, repeat.  IMO on 1st ice I would rather foget my bait, beer,  and Vex before I would want to forget my spud.

Me too!!!  Just make sure not to lend your spud out to a certain iceshanty moderator the year before! :)  Had to go buy one to make sure.  I just don't feel safe or adventurous without it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.