Author Topic: Garmin GPS 72?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Garmin GPS 72?
« on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:11 AM »
My Etrex Legend took a massive S#!T on me and I couldn't McGyver the darn thing. Battery compartment had a meltdown!

Anyway, The Garmin 72 is on sale right now for 75bucks. Any info on this unit. How well does it work for you? How accurate does it seem to be. Any problems with the unit?

I have 21 waypoints converted from Google Earth that I want to load up and fish (if safe ice permits) this weekend, and if this unit is worth buying!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Boatsunk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Garmin GPS 72?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I have the Garmin 76 instead of the 72.  The basic difference is the 76 has a higher pixel rating than the 72 so it has a little clearer picture. There are several other differences between the two, but depending on how you use it the're probably not relevent.
I fish in Louisiana and  Southern Florida about 6 months out of the year, and use it much more there than I do here. When I was first learning to use it, I set a marker on the lake, set it as a waypoint, ran to the other end (about 4 miles) and it brought me back within about 20'.  I would say this is probable about average depending on weather, how many satellites your picking up. etc.  I have used it a few times when ice fishing and have had no problem with it getting me to where I wanted to be.

I will say that the price you stated of $75 is a lot lower than anything I have ever seen advertised.  The 72 unit has been around for a while and there are quite a few rebuilts being sold.  Not that they are bad, just worth looking into.  The other thing to look into is sometimes the Garmin units are sold with no base map in them at all. In that case you will be shelling out a few more $ for one of Mapquests basemaps in order to use the unit.

Hope this helps.

Offline Boatsunk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Garmin GPS 72?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:37 PM »
Also if you want to send me those 21 waypoints you mentioned I will be sure and tell you how to load them ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.