Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Hickery Grove Lake @ Colo  (Read 3035 times)

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
Hickery Grove Lake @ Colo
« on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:02 AM »
Has anybody been out on this lake lately? Ice thickness, or any bite going on? Appreciate any info, thanks.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hickery Grove Lake @ Colo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Sounded like the ice was questionable from a few guys on Iowa Outdoors.  Definitely not safe for an atv, someone found out the hard way yesterday.

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:30 AM »
This snow surely did'nt help the ice conditions then. I think I'll drive over this afternoon and check it out.

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Made it out, ice about 4". Seen fish off and on all day, but slow to hit. Some others did well on sunnies. I got about6 bass and a couple sunnies. also seen some crappies caught about dark. A couple of cone markers were out where the 4 wheeler went in the other day. most fish caught on north side of 'em.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:26 PM »
People drive 4 wheelers on 4 inches of ice? :-\  Must be a southern Iowa thing????? :D

Hope he had a life jacket on that thing.....

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Pretty decent fishing at Hickory Grove.  It seems like they wait until just before sunset and then they keep you busy.  You find a few earlier, but more hit and miss.  I was seeing 4-6 inches of ice for the most part, but I would continue to use caution. My best luck has been in 14-16 feet of water.  I'd sure like some feedback if anyone else has been over that way.   

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Fished Friday night  from 6:30 to 9:30 marked fish but all they would do is come in and look tried wax worms minnows different lures. Nothing I had worked Think I'm going to give up on the sunken tree's and go for a new spot. The shacks that I saw were out in the middle off the south boat ramp. That must be where you were at.

Offline lookincalifornia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2007, 05:41 PM »
i would definately go off the south ramp. i used to try other spots, but always had my best luck at dawn off the south ramp. once it gets dark, you can either fish near botom for gills or about 10' for crappies. teh action gets pretty good. often you can't use two poles.
it is a great spot to hit after work. you could get some all day, but it is really best from 3:30/4:00 till when ever you gotta be home. 8)

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:50 PM »
i would definately go off the south ramp. i used to try other spots, but always had my best luck at dawn off the south ramp. once it gets dark, you can either fish near botom for gills or about 10' for crappies. teh action gets pretty good. often you can't use two poles.
it is a great spot to hit after work. you could get some all day, but it is really best from 3:30/4:00 till when ever you gotta be home. 8)

I think you are right on with the time frames.  I found gills and bass right off the bottom.  I didn't catch any crappie, but will take your advice.  I was using wax worms.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Fished Friday night  from 6:30 to 9:30 marked fish but all they would do is come in and look tried wax worms minnows different lures. Nothing I had worked Think I'm going to give up on the sunken tree's and go for a new spot. The shacks that I saw were out in the middle off the south boat ramp. That must be where you were at.
I always head in on the S. boat ramp.  I typically fish near where I'm sure you saw the shacks.  I think there should be fish on the attractors over in crappie cove.  That will be my next stop.  I also want to get over and fish the washouts on the West side of the tubes going under the road. 

Offline pistol54pete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I flat out love the outdoors!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:28 AM »
I got a call yesterday from a friend over at Hickory....he said he had 13 nice gills no crappies and several little bass all caught mid morning till noon...then the wind got ahold of his frabill & all he?? broke loose. The hideout took off like a tumble weed with him in it....didn't smash it up to bad but wiped out a coleman latern,scattered poles everywhere & he took a super bad spill. Be carefull folks. ;)        Pete
If the ocean were beer & I was a duck...I'd swim to the bottom & drink myself up!

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:46 AM »
I got a call yesterday from a friend over at Hickory....he said he had 13 nice gills no crappies and several little bass all caught mid morning till noon...then the wind got ahold of his frabill & all he?? broke loose. The hideout took off like a tumble weed with him in it....didn't smash it up to bad but wiped out a coleman latern,scattered poles everywhere & he took a super bad spill. Be carefull folks. ;)        Pete
I stayed off Hickory this weekend due to the wind.  Thanks for the information.  I'm heading over on Thursday.

BannedAid

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:37 PM »
::)

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:15 AM »
I was at Hickory on Monday morning from 9-11 and it was a beautiful calm morning to start.  Fished Crappie Cove where their were a slug of old ice holesand saw fish but no takers.  Then I moved to a farm pond by Rhodes and it got a little breezy.  Good ice their 6".

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:34 AM »
I was at Hickory on Monday morning from 9-11 and it was a beautiful calm morning to start.  Fished Crappie Cove where their were a slug of old ice holesand saw fish but no takers.  Then I moved to a farm pond by Rhodes and it got a little breezy.  Good ice their 6".
Hey old bear... Are you from around Rhode?  I live on the Rhodes blacktop.  Have you heard of anything happening over at the marsh?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:09 AM »
 FishRMan I live in State Center.  The marsh is the pits.  The drain down is kinda wrecking my catfish hole which I fish darn near every day in the summer.  I did drill three holes yesterday under the bridge and tried a wax worm for a short time with na da.  Figured the only fish left had to be there.

Offline wiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Fished Hickory today, a fair bite in the morning, then the afternoon shutdown. Bluegills and bass, the crappie must not be biting till dark. Straight off the south ramp by the cones.

Offline tazzzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:20 AM »
brrrrrr boy its cold out there .. making ice ,its what we all want  ;) but Saturday I had ice everywhere
the auger was freezing.foam float for the vexilar had a ball of ice . my ice scoop was all ice ..but the fish was biting . caught a few nice gills and a lot if small bass. fish off the south ramp on the north side .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.