New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Conesus Gathering !!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Conesus Gathering !!
« on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:12 AM »
Looks like we may pull this gathering off after all !
Let's hope this weather holds out , sounds like fun will be had by all and I cant wait to meet and put some faces to screen names !
Good luck and safe ice to all until then !

oakorchardfishking

Re: Conesus Gathering !!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Looks like we may pull this gathering off after all !
Let's hope this weather holds out , sounds like fun will be had by all and I cant wait to meet and put some faces to screen names !
Good luck and safe ice to all until then !

I wouldnt get too excited about that just yet Tigger!
Conesus is a tough lake to get sufficient ice on.
The ice that is there now could easily be gone in the next few days because it isnt locked onto anything.
If a hard wind comes from the south (winds are predicted up to 25MPH for tomorrow night, not sure of direction though), that wind will get right up under the ice, break it up and push it right to shore.
Conesus is very wide open and wind has always been a factor on gaining good ice there...
Then to have a party out there and bring out a large group of people... Risky on anything less than 6 inches!
The last party I did out there, I was looking for 8 inches... I think we got to a good 6 or so.
It was safe, but when we all got together for a group picture...  :o :o :o :o  That ice was doing funny things below us!

Then last year, I pushed the date 3 times, hoping to get good ice... but it never happened!
I was on it 2 days in a row, 4 inches of ice and the second day it was disappearing under my feet.
The 2 holes I drilled in my hut were joining together as 1 in about an hour and a half!
Then it was gone... neve even got close to good safe standards to have a gathering!  :-\

I dont know whats going on with the big party that was being planned for all of IS to join...
But i know, being this far into the season now and with the ice just starting to form... I highly doubt I would even have a local party!
Although, we might gain enough to just have a small gathering of the people close by.
That way it can be played by ear and planned in a very short time.
But there is no way in hell I would risk the safety of bringing a big crowd out there this year!

Hopefully things get better for that idea next year!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Oh I do agree with trying to put as many people that were talking about showing up on new ice especially on Conesus .
I think Braddocks Bay would be a little more practical as far as safety ! At least if someone was unfortunate and did go through they would only go into 3.5 - 4 feet of water . It would still suck but at least they would stand a chance .
Braddocks Bay is a little faster fishing too < more flags > .
Most flags are hammer handles but their is potential for some real big pike there too .
I think my group averages around the four to seven pound range there .

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I dont think it will happen on conesus this year.How come noone suggested silver lake for it,must be because of the parking??
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I dont think it will happen on conesus this year.How come noone suggested silver lake for it,must be because of the parking??

I think it was suggested and if I'm not mistaken it was the parking in part .
Some of it was also amenities like hotels and resteraunts were a little closer .
I think Silver or loon was the backup for the type of warm weather we have had for so long .

At this point I think Braddocks Bay would be the safest place for the number of people that were talking about showing up .

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Or Black Lake!!   ;)  There will be safe ice up there soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.