Author Topic: How do you catch snow from auger in your ice shack?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
How do you catch snow from auger in your ice shack?
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Ok, well I am new to the ice shack thing, and found very quickly that fireing up your auger and drilling a hole will quickly and evenly coat your floor with a nice SLUSH!  Well I dont take kindly to have a soaking wt floor, and its getting old.

how does one prevent such a thing huh? I saw something designed for it that costs 50 bucks, but im not ready to pay that much for something I could probably make on my own.

I was thinking maybe cutting the bottom of a bucket out, and putting the auger through it, and then drilling the hole, then I could clean my hole and put the slugh into a different bucket? does that sound like it would work? any tips on this would be awesome, thanks guys.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do you catch snow from auger in your ice shack?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:32 PM »
if you have a portable, i set mine up where i want it then go inside and mark where my holes should be by chipping some ice. Then I move my shelter back a bit drill my holes and then move it right back over the cleaned out holes. Hope this helps

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:40 PM »
yeah, that's what I'll do for my portable, cant believe I havn't thought of that  ::)

but moving my 8X8 evert time I drill a hole could be troublesome. my 8X8 sits a good 10- 12 inches off the ice, will the slush still get onto my floor if Im up that high?

~Neal

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:42 PM »
remember the cold floor.....nice and easy...no contest to see how fast the holes get opened up.....and easy on the lift.....I keep a small broom handy after drilling and or chipping the holes open....brush the snow/icechips into the hole and keep a bucket to clean them out....might sound abit fussy, but when things heat up in the shack, its sure nice to pull them warm boots off and relax in stocking feet......and not have to worry about getting you feet wet....Grump

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:52 PM »
I was hoping no one would tell me I had to be patient!  :D  yeah, I'm sure easy enough you can keep things pretty tidy by easy goes-n it. but for those of us that do feel the need to full throtle it so hard we fall face down on the floor when the auger punches through, what do you do! haha  ;D

I'mm gonna try the bucket thing, I think that might work, does anybody have one of those "catchmates" that you can buy for an arm and a leg?
was it worth the money?

~Neal

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:08 PM »
I have an "Ice Inhalor" and after drilling I kick all the snow and slush back into the hole until everything is packed back into the hole...then use the inhalor to take it all out in one shot...quick and easy. 

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:42 PM »
When drilling holes in my permanent i use a large piece of plastic pipe to keep ice chips and water from flying all over the floor, this has worked out pretty well. One of my friends has a plastic storage box with a hole cut in it with a piece of plastic pipe around the hole. This works very well to collect all the ice chips with no mess at all. Probably the same idea as the catchmate you were talking about. His is homebuilt.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Personally instead of taking the bucket thing out, why not just slow down a bit. Way easier to do and one less thing to drag around.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:59 PM »
let the chips fly. but stop before you punch threw, then brush them out.
 go easy the last couple inches so you dont get the floor wet.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:10 AM »
Neal,

If you are that worried............... ..........try a hand auger! I bet you can't get that thing going fast enough to lift the ice! :woot:

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:23 AM »
try cutting a piece of plywood the correct length that stands high enough to stop the ice.  when your doen drilling just put it away on the wall

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I think I'm just gonna throw an old broom in the shack, I like that idea, wont my mother be proud!

~Neal

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Just make sure the broom one of the good ones from home. No sense in cheaping out for the shack.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Only the best!!!  ;D

~Neal

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I just don't open the throttle all the way and haven't had any problems. I take it easy until I am down in the ice quite a distance before I open it up. Mine sits about the same distance off of the ice. With my dropdown, I will lower it about half way to the ice, drill my holes, shovel the ice out from under the shack and then lower it the rest of the way.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.