Author Topic: Driving conditions on Mission lake  (Read 1362 times)

Offline btrang

• IceShanty Rookie
Driving conditions on Mission lake
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I was out 2 weeks ago on mission right in front of mission ridge and managed to get the car out on the ice. I think becuase of the melting that occured the snow was shallow enough that it allowed us to get on the ice with a 2 wheel drive. I want to go out on saturday but I am wondering if the ice is still accessible with a 2wd vehicle since we had that storm. It sucks to lug my portable shack and auger hundreds of meters when I could just drive on. A report on any of the qu'apelle lakes driving conditions for 2wd vehicles would be appreciated. thanks

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Driving conditions on Mission lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:41 PM »
You can get onto the ice at the katepwa boat launch with a 2wd and go out for a few hundred yards.....from there on I can't tell you-that's as far as I went. Just got out for a few hours this afternoon--not much biting, only small perch and burbot, when I was there, although lots of fish showing on the flasher...the big guys weren't interested.
You have to be careful there, as there are some nets under the ice, but the ends are well marked.

Offline btrang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Thanks for the info I also noticed several big fish that I could see  when I was fishing were not interested in my bait.  I tried everything to get them to bit and nothing, at least it's better than not seeing any fish at all, too bad they wouldn't bite. Tulibee are a different story though as I am sure you know, too bad it wasn't the tulibee ignoring my hook instead. I am guessing if Katepwa is driveable than the other lakes would be as well?

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Actually....I tried at Sandy Beach, where I usually fish, and there was a huge snowbank across the road onto the ice.
I'm not sure about getting onto Mission at the Fort but if you go on Sat.-let me know,I might try there some day. I,like you, am a 2wd fisherman and I quite often end up walking onto the ice by seasons end(better safe than sorry--but it's hard on an old guy like me) Good luck to you.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:06 PM »
BTW.....I tried Katepwa this morning and had no luck at all....2 small perch

Offline PowerBaitron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:44 AM »
Time to bite the bullet and get those 4X4's working boys!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:11 PM »
the lakes arnt bad. i was out on my sled today and my dad was out with the truck. crossed echo no problem and i wouldnt worry about it there was minivans and small cars out doing just fine.

Big Burk :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.