Author Topic: Tip-up flags  (Read 12169 times)

Rusty Hook

Tip-up flags
« on: Nov 06, 2003, 04:16 PM »
Never had to replace my flags but need/want to this year. How are the replacement flags you can buy attached? Do you need fabric glue or other kinda of glue? Do they just slip over the rod? Any neat ideas for me to try.
Anyone have some links to where to buy some online?

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re:Tip-up flags
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2003, 06:17 PM »
Put a bead of marine seal or aquarium seal on the flag, fold over the rod. Try to center the flag stick in the goop. Let dry. :'(

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2003, 06:43 PM »
where did you ge tyour replacement flags?
t'pup!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2003, 06:48 PM »
I think I got them at the fleet botique. I have seen them at other sporting good stores that carry polar tipups.

-Scott

where did you ge tyour replacement flags?
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2003, 08:28 PM »
Fishin Fool, you can get tip up flags from Peterson Outdoors(do a search on yahoo or google and you'll find it). I just got some to fix some polar tip-ups. You get 3 to a pack. They have the 3" x 3" size for $1.19 per pack or the 6" x 6" size for $1.78. They're even located in our state(PA). If you have a hot glue gun you can put them on that way or there is a product called "goop" that works good also. Goop is a contact adhesive. I "think" you can get goop at wal-mart or a hardware store for about $3 to $4. If you order from Petersons, check out their marmooska jigs. They have the lowest prices on these that I ever found. They have a very comprehensive Ice fishing store and I've always had great service from these folks.
Ken                                          

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2003, 08:02 PM »
Know anyone that works road construction,town or county highway departments? I use the material from plastic safety flags. Cut it with a drywall knife any size you want , adhere to flag steel with a glue gun.

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

Bean, I'll check them out.
t'pup!

Rusty Hook

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2003, 10:00 AM »
Next question. I need 1 knew flag wire for a wooden polar II Tip-up. Is it the same flag wire for both the plasitc polar and wooden polar II? Anyone used the telescopic ones? can you put a light on it, the kind with a battery on the base ond the wires running up the flag or will I just need to add longer wires?

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2003, 05:15 PM »
I have done something a little different. EVERYONE has orange flags, I bought my daughter a set of traps that had green felt flags, I found that they were easier to distinguish who's flag was up, and also found them to be more visible on sunny days. I have since made felt flags for all of our traps and used different collors for each set. You can buy felt at any store that sells cloth, just cut out the size you want, then either fold and sew a small hem to slide down over the wire, or glue it onto the wire.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2003, 07:23 PM »
Know anyone that works road construction,town or county highway departments? I use the material from plastic safety flags. Cut it with a drywall knife any size you want , adhere to flag steel with a glue gun.

HMMM I might know somebody in that line of work.

JUst make sure you tell them to get the ones with the plastic sticks instead of the wire ones.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2003, 11:08 PM »
Haven't really heard anyone mention using reflective tape on their flags.  Works nice if you have a spotlight but not tipup lights or strike sensors.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

GatorSlayer

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2003, 10:02 PM »
I use reflective tape on all my tip ups, even though I still use Rite Lites. The reflective tape is a nice back up incase a battary is dead or a light fails, but the main reason I do it is for saving my tip ups from cars, trucks, sleds and ATVs. I've seen a good share of tip ups ran over, even in the middle of the day. One other precaution I take is putting an orange stake next to my hole with a band of reflective tape on it, especially on busy weekends. Helps keep people from driving, or even fishing, in our spread of tip ups and helps when scanning the "field", looking for any flags up, especially in drifting snow.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Gatorslayer great advice! I have spray painted all my flags black a few years back do distinguish and for better visibility against the snow/ice.
Trail marker tape works great and gives you wind direction (haha).
Some folks I fish with take theirs off or cut them down considerably to
not attract attention when it goes up,fish alot of busy lakes and well you know the deal. Here today ,set up in your holes tommorrow! I hate those guys! :'( :'( :'(
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2003, 12:10 PM »
how do those tip-up lights work? are they a motion sensor thing that u just mount onto the flag and the light comes on when the flag moves?

Melbs     :'(

Ice Troll

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:52 AM »
If you have a company in your town that does highway signs, they have great material for making flags. The sticky tape they use to put lettering on signs is fantastic, comes in every color imaginable, lights up like a christmas tree when hit with a spot light and comes in huge rolls. The place I go to has so many pieces of the stuff laying around that they just give it to me. Just cut two square pieces the size you want, peel off the backing, position it at the end of the shaft and stick the pieces together. You will never have to search for your tip ups at night ever again. Downside is the stuff can get brittle in extreme cold but its so easy to replace that its not really a problem.

Offline Roper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Beginner!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Troll, are you from Casper?  We should hook up some time, we just moved here recently and wife hates fishing ,but wont let me go alone.

Ice Troll

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2004, 05:24 AM »
Roper,
I am in Casper and would love to hit the ice with anyone who wants to go. Around here, I usually fish Pathfinder or Boysen. We also plan a big trip(6-8 days) up to Ft. Peck in Montana every year. This years trip is feb 14th. Let me know how to contact you and will we drown some minnows.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Make your own flags. Use orange duct tape
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:24 PM »
I saw a homemade flag made out of an empty cut up box from a 12 pack of Bud Light.  The Bud Light flag was pretty cool.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Re: Tip-up flags
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:07 PM »
I did the same with my tip ups, except I found the highway flag alongside the road (the price was right).   :) Reflective tape in several colors is available to add if you want additional contrast. Reflective tape shows up better when lit at night as well.

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.