New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I just can't get excited about catching trout (sorry)  (Read 10518 times)

PIKEGUY

Re: I just can't get excited about catching trout (sorry)
« Reply #60 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:52 AM »
When are you going to post pictures of the "BIG" trout?  The fish I see aren't that big in my opinion, I see trout of that size down here in Indiana all the time.

Let's see your pics of big trout then  ::)

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:18 AM »

Awesome Trout PGKris!!!!

Trout is all I will ever pursue, either through the ice or open water/tumbling rivers...just my own disease....I guess ::)...from my first trout I caught as a kid, I was caught too :-\, and I now venture all over ,winter ,spring ,summer and fall , trying to catch all their relatives... ;D :o

They`re not only a very pretty colored and marked fish, they live and dwell in some of the prettiest locations in the world..they need clean, cold water to survive and are very tricky to fool most times, especially the bigger ,older trout...thanks PGKris for  

Looking at your pictures...the ones of the beautiful brookies....what are those tiny raised black dots on those beauties?...I have seen something similar on small bait before... ???

BTW, I have still yet to catch a beautiful brookie through the ice .....hopefully this year...thanks for getting my attention and the blood flowing this mornin`... ;)

So, the bottom line ,I guess is, I`m now 90+ % catch and release....I do like to keep a few very tasty ones for the pan and/or grill...if done right ,they are very tasty to me...but, I`ve had Perch and Walleye and think they are probably better tasting in other ways...trout is like venison, it has its own particular flavor, its on the wild side...and...don`t get me wrong ,I respect everybody who ventures outdoors, either in the wild rivers,woods or on the ice  pursuing  those fish/game that please them ;)...so, heres to all fishermen/ladies,hunters ;D...its a great pastime and one we can share either with someone or now on this really cool board... :tipup: ;)2

Wb

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #62 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:25 AM »
Really?!?  I LOOOVE TROUT FISHING!!!

Through the ice - great.  On the fly - even better.

Nothin starts a morning off right than three quick flags on our local P&T rainbow trout lake west of town. 

You GOTTA be cooking 'em wrong! 

Fried, broiled, grilled, baked (stuffed with garlic, onion, butter, lemon and S&P to taste...awesome) there's so many ways to make them. Mom made one with a lemon Stove-Top stuffing mix for Xmas dinner this year...best trout and by far the best dressing I've ever HAD! 
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Knocking someone’s fish when they have never caught said fish……..BRILLIANT! :thumbsup:

PGKris nice fish. ;)

Notice, I say I haven't fished for trout.  I have no desire to, there are better fish out there to be caught.  If I wanted to fish for trout, I am sure I could easily catch trout of that size down here where the trout aren't supposed to be as big.  Also, notice, I never knocked his fish, they are nice fish, but I personally wouldn't classify them as "BIG".
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #64 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:12 PM »
Notice, I say I haven't fished for trout.  I have no desire to, there are better fish out there to be caught.  If I wanted to fish for trout, I am sure I could easily catch trout of that size down here where the trout aren't supposed to be as big.  Also, notice, I never knocked his fish, they are nice fish, but I personally wouldn't classify them as "BIG".

Always a joker in the deck ::) What ground do you have to classify trout as BIG when you haven't ever caught one. I'm sorry I guess second place in the tourney is something you can catch up to in a day or two ::) Go catch a BIG trout and show it to me if you think your area produce so much better than BC's north. GOOD LUCK! I don't see too many guys posting trout bigger than the BC boys...
{FYI Mods, I am defending myself here, not attacking. I'm trying to play nice but you can see where I'm coming from}

Looking at your pictures...the ones of the beautiful brookies....what are those tiny raised black dots on those beauties?...I have seen something similar on small bait before...

It's a parasite. Good luck finding a big brookie this winter!! :thumbsup:

I looove trout.......

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:49 PM »

I’m not even going to waste my time.  I believe my point has been made. ;)

Now back to the original point of this topic.  Why do people get so excided over trout?  Why do people get so excited over, bluegill, perch, bass, pike or anything else?  They just do, it is personal preference, and that is all that matters.  Do what makes you feel good, there is no need to justify it to anyone else. :tipup:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:14 PM »
excellent fish pgkris wow those are some  hogs.... brookies here in the east dont get as  big but we do come across a couple every now and then... personally i love catching trout through the ice they are more challenging exspecially the  big ones!!!! (20 +")  i love to eat them as well but i fish for all species not one particular species

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:11 PM »
I'd rather eat perch.... but I'd rather catch trout. They fight better and there is nothing prettier.  Also, when there is no ice you can still fish for them.
13 lb brown

11 lbs

some other browns

some trout

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Now that's what we're talkin bout!! I didn't post any summer pics.....you got me beat fair n square :P Now do it on the fly :P That last one is a real beaut

-Thoreau

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Nice Trout PG kris and Fishshack, I think the point has been made here that there are alot of us that get excited about catching trout. And there are some big ones to be caught.
Some unfortunately just don't see it that way, all we can do is feel sorry for those lost souls and be happy knowing were not one of them.

Now on to more importent things, the cold is here in the Northeast time to go fishing.

Tight Lines,
Wellsy

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #70 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:24 AM »
But yet, I says to myself, the man's avatar is a laker?

-Thoreau

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:10 PM »
But yet, I says to myself, the man's avatar is a laker?

??????  ??? is that suppose to be uuhhhhh...like a rhetorical question?

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:02 AM »
Nice fish fishshack, thats what I am talking about when I say "BIG"
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.