New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I just can't get excited about catching trout (sorry)  (Read 10517 times)

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I just can't get excited about catching trout (sorry)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:52 PM »
I am sure it is a whole different fish in Canada. Just curious on how much that one weighed??
About 6.5kg...a shade under 14 lbs, your weight...caught it on Friday afternnon and we had steaks from it for supper...it was
sooooo good...
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:48 PM »
I love trout, I love the way they taste and i love the fun you have catching them.  That said I release almost 100% of the fish i catch.  I fish for the fun of being outside, spending time with freinds and family and what not and i want the fish to be their in 30+ years so i practice mostly catch and release.  Its all about the fun....baby!
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 PM »
I'm not big on keeping and eating fish. However, once in a while (usually when I'm with a larger group for shore lunches) it does get done. My experience with trout has always been good. We've never tried anything fancy with it, just always fried up in a pan for lunch or dinner while out camping, etc. I have to say for myself, trout is one of my favorites like that. Not a very strong "fishy" taste and the meat has always just flaked right off of the bones. Finally tried perch a few years back and that was delicious too. I have always heard about walleye, but haven't had the chance to try that yet. Maybe some day though. As for catching them, that has changed over the years for me. I grew up in a non outdoor sporting family, but there was a group of my parents friends that always went stream fishing for trout a few times a year. It was always a blast (for me any time I'm outdoors is always a great time) except for the fishing, it was kinda disappointing. They were small and never much of a fight. However, since then, I've had a chance to catch lake raised trout and that's a whole new world. The biggest I've taken was a spring time brown off shore. We were catching them all day and they were between 20 and 25+ inches. I'd guess they weighed about 4'ish lbs. Not a bad fish at all. I did wind up keeping a couple of those for a friend that does like to eat fish. Now that I know that they do get big and can be a pretty decent fight, I will actually go fishing for trout once in a while, but still not on a regular basis. I would however like to catch some decent trout through the ice sometime. 

mike

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:10 PM »
I don't know how you can't get excited about catching Trout.

You must not be a fisherman, then ???

I get excited about catching any fish...some are more of an adreneline rush than others...but I am still catching fish :P

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:27 PM »
I don't know how you can't get excited about catching Trout.

You must not be a fisherman, then ???

I get excited about catching any fish...some are more of an adreneline rush than others...but I am still catching fish :P

August.....I have to say, completely agree with you! Regardless of what I'm fishing for, if it's been a rough day of fishing, I have to say that I have no problem pulling out the ultralight gear and pulling in some panfish, just so i have caught "something" for the day! There a couple places that I target in the spring even though I know I won't catch anything to brag about...lol I target them though because I go in with my ultralights and fish for the post spawn male pike that are still sitting way up in the shallows. In the one area, most we catch are 18-22" range +/-. Nothing huge, but on ultalight gear, they are a blast and I know I can beat 'em up all day long if I choose to. So, i have to say that your comment was completely accurate for myself as well. I DO get excited with ANYTHING trying to pull the rod into the water.

mike

mike

Offline stringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Iknow we are supposed to be ice fishing but you want to feel a fight try one of those lake ontario steel head and let me know if you still don't like trout.

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Panfish and walleye are for eatin'....Trout are for lookin' through.   As much as I enjoy a good fish fry, I still love fighting a nice brown, rainbow, or laker in relatively deep water on light line.  I enjoy it all though.  All we need is some freakin' ice.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:16 PM »
I live for trout fishing, whether it's big lakers through the ice or big browns in the river.  The only bad trout I've ever had are those right out of the stocking truck.  Lakers are great, filet them, bread them, fry them then chow down.  Can't wait!!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:29 PM »
lakers are good eating.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:39 PM »
lakers are good eating.
Stick to your guns, Ray....I've been trying to convince these guys that they really are good eating!!

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:02 PM »
"I would much rather cathc and keep a bunch of smaller fish (panfish) then catch and keep a bunch of big fish like trout/walleye or even big pike"

Well said fishingking!

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Littleoldlady, I agree with everything you are trying to say here. I love eating lake trout.  The big ones are a little strong but who wants to keep them anyway. A laker 14lbs in my lake is a trophy. I would never keep him. I love the smaller ones that go from 18 to 22 inches. Anything over 25 is a breeder. Slipbob what do you know about lakers. I thought you were a walleye fisherman.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Littleoldlady, I agree with everything you are trying to say here. I love eating lake trout.  The big ones are a little strong but who wants to keep them anyway. A laker 14lbs in my lake is a trophy. I would never keep him. I love the smaller ones that go from 18 to 22 inches. Anything over 25 is a breeder. Slipbob what do you know about lakers. I thought you were a walleye fisherman.
  Here it is the 30lb + that are the trophy fish...we have to toss back anything smaller than 65 cm. (25 inches).  We can go over the border to
Pierce Lake, Sask. and keep the smaller ones, which I really love for baking.  And the big ones aren't strong if you cut away the belly meat...where the fat is.
Then cut into steaks and broil or grill.  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:51 PM »
I know a "little" when it comes to jigging up lakers through the ice ;) 

Now I have a weird version of that song stuck in my head ::) Thanks SB  :D 
 I have a feeling I'll be jigging up a few lakers later this week :woot:

Offline redspinner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:09 PM »
trout are fun to catch if you know how to clean them don't smell at all, and vary good to eat.

panfish are vary good anyway you clean or cook to me that is.
Give-up worm bed for tent on hardwater belowzero o-so-good

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Littleoldlady, the trout up your way feed on bugs and natural baits that come from the same water. Your water is much cleaner too. The trout down my way feed on alewives gobies and whatever fish they can get. If you tried eating a big laker from Lake Ontario I think you would have a different opinion. You can thank your government for protecting this great game fish because if they didn’t you wouldn’t have that great fishery you have now. I bet a 30lb lake trout is 30 yrs old from your lake. The lake trout that comes from your water is different from the trout down here. Your fish are wild and you don’t have the lamprey problem. You have an excellent fishery, take care of it because you can destroy it too if your not careful.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Littleoldlady, the trout up your way feed on bugs and natural baits that come from the same water. Your water is much cleaner too. The trout down my way feed on alewives gobies and whatever fish they can get. If you tried eating a big laker from Lake Ontario I think you would have a different opinion. You can thank your government for protecting this great game fish because if they didn’t you wouldn’t have that great fishery you have now. I bet a 30lb lake trout is 30 yrs old from your lake. The lake trout that comes from your water is different from the trout down here. Your fish are wild and you don’t have the lamprey problem. You have an excellent fishery, take care of it because you can destroy it too if your not careful.
Ray, I agree  with you wholeheartedly.  We have strick catch and possession limits to ensure the protection of this fishery.  It almost crashed
in the 70's due to DDT contamination ruining the fertility of the lakers....it has come back; everyone here who remembers that crash is very protective
of Cold Lake.  It is now completely pure.  The lakers feed on ciscos and tullibys...no lampreys, thank heaven.  And we are so far north and the lake is so deep
that it stays cold all summer, making for a very firm, flaky flesh.  So I not only get excited about our trout....I stay excited!!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Slipbob what do you know about lakers. I thought you were a walleye fisherman.

I smell a can of Worms rotting on the banks of "The King"

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:36 PM »
"I just can't get excited about catching trout"

You must be crazy :D  Panfish are one thing, maybe good to eat, but get excited over a fish that will top out at 12"? I couldn't do that if I tried. And I think it's fairly dependent on what the trout are eating....I hear from you boys back east that your trout are mostly caught on minnows and that your trout eat mostly other fish....here trout don't eat other fish, they eat insects....and only RARELY (twice in my 18 year trout fishing career) have I caught trout that had minnows inside them. So I think the problem with your trout tasting bad might have to do with their diet. Because I'd have you hooked on brookie meat in no time flat if you came here for a fish fry. It's that good. I've done some panfishing, and its kinda fun, but nothing like jigging up big bows or brookies.......Tight Lines
Kris

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. 

I can understand the thrill of catching a big trout, but what gets me is the excitement and posts of pictures of these tiny baby fish, I think they are brook trout that people post.  Some of these fish aren't even 8 inches long?????
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:45 PM »
I can give or take trout - I'll throw them in the fry pan for sure, and no doubt a fun catch, especially the bigguns.  I for one just like a mixed bag throughout the season, as with any fish, there indeed can be too much of a good thing, at least with my attention span and fickle tastebuds.....
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #51 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Well then let me enlighten you about what BIG trout are {I really like posting pics ;D }:

Rainbows:

Brookies:

And of course, the draw of the little ones is their stunning beauty....

Enough pics.....do I have your attention now? ;D I have an addiction to trout

-Thoreau

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:10 PM »
yes here in the east they feed on minnows...... they still taste great to me!!!!!  ;D ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Well then let me enlighten you about what BIG trout are {I really like posting pics ;D }:

Rainbows:
(Image removed from quote.)

Brookies:

And of course, the draw of the little ones is their stunning beauty....

Enough pics.....do I have your attention now? ;D I have an addiction to trout

Yes, and you have posted some great pic.  I think trout are the most beautiful of all the freshwater
fish. Thanks and :clap: :clap:

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #54 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:29 PM »
nice trout
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Have we seen those elsewhere on the shanty, oh trout guru :)  Nice fish, got some good waters around ya.  Imagine what you'd catch with age and experience  :P   JK.
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #56 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:15 PM »
  Imagine what you'd catch with age and experience  :P   JK.

Disease....I hear it's called "old" Apparently it's not curable......darn

-Thoreau

camo_fish

« Reply #57 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Imagine what you'd catch with age and experience  :P   JK.
Disease....I hear it's called "old" Apparently it's not curable......darn
atleast were older then the fish that we catch.  :roflmao: And we're all old to our youth aren't we, no matter if we are 3 or 23.  :roflmao:
and trout are cool.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2007, 02:19 AM »

When are you going to post pictures of the "BIG" trout?  The fish I see aren't that big in my opinion, I see trout of that size down here in Indiana all the time.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:05 AM »
When are you going to post pictures of the "BIG" trout?  The fish I see aren't that big in my opinion, I see trout of that size down here in Indiana all the time.

Knocking someone’s fish when they have never caught said fish……..BRILLIANT! :thumbsup:

As a matter of fact your trout are bigger than any trout I have caught, considering I have never fished for or caught a trout.

PGKris nice fish. ;)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.