Ice Fishing Iceshanty Tips board is sponsored by
Polar Bird Ice Shelters

Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 130887 times)

Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I am not speaking of what lonewolf does, but my speculation of this:

If he isnt planning on using it for anthing else but to keep engine oil from getting all over, why would it need to be cleaned?
If there is a lot of oil coming out of the auger 1....have it checked as something is wrong and 2, soak up the oil with paper towel etc. the only issue would be leaving a pool of oil in the bag for a length of time. Once again you should only be talking a little bit of oil from the exhaust......otherwise, something needs to be fixed. This is just a fix, so that the little oil drips dont end up in your shanty. I would venture to say that that bag will last 7-10 years before needing to be cleaned unless extremely heavy usage..
DIY Eskimo Profish 150 Mod'd out w/ DIY Wood Enclosure with Hatches, DIY LED Lightbar,

LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:11 PM »

The reason for the bag is to catch any oil that may come from the exhaust. Since I've been using the Amsoil 100:1 there is very little but there is some. I have no stains on my Trap or in my truck and it's on and off in seconds.
As for washing it does not go in my washing machine. I simply use a rag with a little Simple Green and wipe it out .. there isn't much.   

Those who are brave are free ..

In the Dark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:45 PM »
On the SS eye bolts, what side did you use?  How did you tie a poly-braided rope on there?

Thanks

Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:14 PM »
I just got an aqua-vu scout and wanted to know if anyone has theirs mounted to their fish trap? Pics would be great. Thanks.

sorry no pics but i did make a hinged shelf out of 1x6 , attached hinges to front of tub and a hinged support leg for the front of shelf , i place my aqua view on this so its easier viewing instead of looking way down on the ice and into the tube for monitor. and when done or travelling just remove the aqua view and fold the shelf over back towards the seat.

RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I have a clam pro and use 1 dual mantle lantern for light and heat.  I used to use a propane lantern but that would not burn as well in cold temps.  If it is cold out....zero degrees or less I recommend two lanterns or a buddy heater.  I fish alone so has anyone out there figured out a way to compartmentalize everything.  I currently use 2 -5 gallon buckets to hold everything including my limit of fish when I come off ice.  So my gear gets slimed cuzz it has to share a bucket with all of my monster ::) fish.  Any ideas on a "manual" auger holder?  I absolutley hate it when my auger falls off my sled.....and I don't notice till I am on the other side of teh lake >:(
Bullet with a name on it.

LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:25 PM »
On the SS eye bolts, what side did you use?  How did you tie a poly-braided rope on there?

Thanks

I don't understand as to what side ? The eye is on the outside of the tub.

As for the poly rope .. I splice it ( weave it). You can tie but it won't hold unless you epoxy it.

Doug >))))>

In the Dark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I don't understand as to what side ? The eye is on the outside of the tub.

As for the poly rope .. I splice it ( weave it). You can tie but it won't hold unless you epoxy it.

Doug >))))>

Oops.  I meant to ask what size.  I checked some hardware stores and I was having some difficulty finding a decent diameter bolt that was short enough to lock down.  Do you use a lot of washers and does the bolt stick out on the inside of the sled by quite a lot when you are done installing.

Thanks for the reply.

Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:20 AM »
My original post from last year got lost too. I secured my tent with office binders (the medium size) rather that using screws and it worked great. I pinched off the chrome pinchers to make a cleaner install. Squeezed the pinchers back in at the end of the season and took them off. This allowed me to take the tent off and store inside away from critters in my shed. I would recommend this method as it held fine all season. No holes in the tent from screws and I think the binders actually hold better than the screws.

Thanks Dave for the good idea.  I got the binders free of charge from the office too.  Sshhh!

pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Nise set up

:tipup: :tipup:

Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Good tips on the car wax on the seat and spreader tubes.  It also is good on the zippers - helps to keep them smooth.

I also installed a couple of those rod holders - very nice. 

Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I did a take off on your rod holders.
I had some light weight stick in the ground types with the circular ends.
I got some clear tubing from sears and ran it down on the circles.
I only made one bend at an up angle.
Drilled holes on either side just ahead of the metal corner.
Insert rods and they will stick in the ice. No need to permanently mount them.
I'm thinkin' they will also act as somewhat of a non skid item. ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Last year I took the crappy stock seat out of my Scout and fitted my Ranger seat.  I had to lower the rails and use a slimline seat swivel so the whole business would fit under my tonneau cover on my truck.  Well, the seat was great, but it became evident that it was just too low.  So this time around I mounted a 3/4" pin deck plate to the original brackets the original seat was mounted to, and mounted the 3/4" pin plate to the seat.  Much better and comfortable to sit in, plus I can easily remove the seat for transportation.

What I will probably do in my Frabill Trekker II 2 man shack, is take one of the seat mounts and modify it to take another deck plate.  Then all I have to do is take the seat from one to the other.

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Good stuff........ 8)

What about that space on the inside of the pole brackets.... ?  That'd be a great place for a few junk drawers..... anybody come up with anything for that space?
Don't Stand Outside too long......

J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Where is everyone getting those clips to mount these rod holders? I have one that I could cut up, but don't have any idea on where to start looking for something like that. Any help?

LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:25 AM »
Where is everyone getting those clips to mount these rod holders? I have one that I could cut up, but don't have any idea on where to start looking for something like that. Any help?

Electrical supply store.

scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I just wrote the company and the president, Ken Rheault, sent me a whole bag for free  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:26 PM »

My holders came with the mounting hardware.  Will probably look for something different as those always loosen up.

MySpace

Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Great tips.

Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:38 PM »
I found that out today with my mounted boat seat in my Scout.
Had cramp in my back and leg the whole 2 1/2 hour drive home.
70 miles at 3+MPH in traffic
I have a fishing bud that already has me set up with the drop in swivel. ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2008, 04:47 PM »
i got one! i call it a bungee cord!  ;)  :D

Exactly what I use to!!  Hook it on one side, up and over the seat and auger, then hooked on the other side.  I can tuck the fabric of the tent up in it to keeping it from dragging on the ice.  Quick and simple!!

MySpace

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.