Author Topic: Iceup.... how much thickness over nite?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline rodzandreels

• IceShanty Rookie
Iceup.... how much thickness over nite?
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:50 PM »
OK,,, having been an ice fisherman for years, I was under the impression that once the lake is ice covered it puts on 1" of thickness every 24hrs (given the fact that the temp stays below freezing consistently)?  Does anyone know if there is any merrit to this, or is it an "old fisherwives tale"?  TTFN

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iceup.... how much thickness over nite?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 03:46 PM »
 I think it probably depends on how cold it gets, on our lake this year i checked 2 days before the season and was out the first day and there was about an extra inch and a half on it so pretty close.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:24 PM »
OK,,, having been an ice fisherman for years, I was under the impression that once the lake is ice covered it puts on 1" of thickness every 24hrs (given the fact that the temp stays below freezing consistently)?  Does anyone know if there is any merrit to this, or is it an "old fisherwives tale"?  TTFN

I have heard alot of people say that...

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:48 PM »
once the temp fall below freezing the ice with continue to freeze 24 hrs a day.  Last sunday there was 7 inches of ice and i took some guys out wednesday and it was up to 12" and the temp is suppose to be crazy cold the next week for sure so i'm guessing we will have very good ice thickness and good solid freeze ups!!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 PM »
I always heard 1 inch/24 hours, but I gotta think the colder it is the more (meaning depth of ice) and faster it freezes

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:10 PM »
One can only hope!!!!
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:59 PM »
One can only hope!!!!
Yessir.  Actually, I want a foot of good ice overnight   :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:24 AM »
from actually checking nightly ice, on a new frozen over lake, andything in the teen's will give you an inch of ice per night. single digits 1+. temps in the twenties will give you something less than an inch
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:33 AM »
from actually checking nightly ice, on a new frozen over lake, andything in the teen's will give you an inch of ice per night. single digits 1+. temps in the twenties will give you something less than an inch

That sounds about right to me!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:57 PM »
I think that around here an inch per night is about right when the nights are in the single digits. Since ice freezes from the bottom of the ice down, it seems to slow down some when it gets thicker.Two weeks ago we had about 13" around here and I hear it is pushing 18" now. If it didn't slow some, we would be drilling with an 8' auger from a step ladder.lol  :woot:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Don't forget, Snow cover will slow the forming of ice. 

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2007, 01:51 PM »
I read that wind chill Does effect ice formation, The fact that there is heat under the ice for wind to take it away, There is diminishing returns as the ice gets thicker though.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:37 PM »
i had always heard that you didnt want alot of wind because it causes friction on the ice i dont know to what extent it effects ice formation or melting but it was one of those wivestales i have heard i suppose it all depends on the temp also
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:29 PM »
You can't count on an inch a day at all, At 32 degrees the ice only holds the ice it has. It takes temps in the teen's with wind on water without snow on it to even get close to an inch a day. Sooner or later the water will stop getting thicker ice if temperatures don't stay in at least the teen's. I've watched 3" of ice on a lake stay the same thickness for a week with 32 degree days and 25 degree nights and no wind to cause a wind chill effect.
a little jiggle never hurts

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:48 PM »
A good wind and some cold temps will suck the heat out of it in a hurry. I think there are two days during the year that the wind doesn't blow in South Dakota.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:14 PM »
3/4 to 1 inch for about the first foot or so....as LONG as the ice doesnt get coated with a layer of insulating snow....and as LONG as the temps remain below freezing....for those without safe ice, pray for strong chilly winds to whip the snowcover away.....here's hoping for everyone....Grump

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:29 PM »
just seeing the temp in the teens for the next week looks so good .So what im getting from most of you is we should have 5 inches of ice by next friday yee haa :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.