New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: whitney point res.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: whitney point res.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:02 PM »
It's not much of a crappie derby anymore when 99% of the contestants never even catch a legal sized crappie :D  There's probably not many big tiger muskies or hybrid stripers left either but the state sure wasted a lot of money stocking those and most of em washed over the spillway into the river :tipup: 

Back in the mid to late 80's caught many 5-8 lb  white rocks down at the Goudy station dam on the fly rod casting streamers into the bait fish that the fish were busting up..Nice fight but I agree..Wasted money

billybono

« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:43 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how they went from Whitney Point to the Goudey Station in no time at all just like the tiger muskies.  A lot of those walleyes people catch in the spillway at the Point along with the crappies are simply "washover" fish from the reservoir. 

what is really funny is a couple of fisherman with common sense understand this concept, and DEC biologists whom are experts in this field obviously didn't  ???

almost makes as much sense as wondering why steelhead returns are down in lake ontario tribs, and putting a 1 fish limit on them in the tribs while letting lake fisherman keep 3, amd its as easy as running a flatline over a scumline anywhere in the lake.

you get the point here

billybono

billybono

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if they stop lowering the water in the winter so that the weeds can grow back again , that it will hold the fish "IN' the Res.
Just my two cents.
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if they stop lowering the water in the winter so that the weeds can grow back again , that it will hold the fish "IN' the Res.
Just my two cents.
They said they were going to keep summer levels all year, two years ago. Never happened

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:51 PM »
I've been fishing the point for 30 years and have to agree with what most all of you have
said. For sure, if you catch a "bunch" during the tournment, you are either a genius, had a
lot of help or caught them before most of the fishermen got there in the am. I haven't fished
the derby for the last 7 years., but I go a few times every winter and always get enough to
have a good fish fry. I don't think we will ever see the "glory days"  of 80 - 100 fish a day
per person. Although I have seen a large increase in the perch. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION
AND OBSERVATIONS - HOPE I DIDN'T UPSET ANYONE.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.