New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: whitney point res.  (Read 4338 times)

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
whitney point res.
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:12 PM »
does anyone no how this res. is doing i heard that tuesday there was skim there should be mor now any info would be great

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
Re: whitney point res.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:04 PM »
I went by there Thursday and there was still only a slight skim on the water.  Nowhere near safe conditions.

Al
Hunting, fishing, camping.....who says life has to be hard??

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2007, 07:39 PM »
That lake is a bust...too many people and too little oxygen :-X

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:08 PM »
From my friends experiences, I don't believe I'll ever fish that place for the crappie derby, or for crappies at any other time anywise - I have a feeling the derby and the subsequent publicity on the waterway killed that one for that particular species..........
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:47 AM »
From my friends experiences, I don't believe I'll ever fish that place for the crappie derby, or for crappies at any other time anywise - I have a feeling the derby and the subsequent publicity on the waterway killed that one for that particular species..........

That poor little watershed :'(...that is what happens to little bodies of water :-X

Offline rippinlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:12 PM »
I never had great luck there.  I went with some friends and we caught plenty of eyes but they were so small they did not even trip our flags

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:15 PM »
need to catch some eyes soon or im going  to go crazy

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:24 PM »
It's a tough lake to figure out but when you do the fishing is great. 

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:41 PM »
No doubt it has potential for high fish production - perch and eyes especially, it's such a shallow, rather eutrophic reservoir......just too bad the crappies got fished so hard for so many years. Perhaps instead of the crappie derby for a couple years, the Town of Whitney Pt. should close the crappie fishery and a local sportsman's club should initiate a restocking effort during the closure.  They're a relatively fast maturing species and I'd bet it would only take 2-3 yrs to restore the crappie fishing to its former glory.........if they make it past the 2yo eyes, that is.........:)

I am still somewhat tempted to hit the derby at some point anyhow for a shot at all those prizes................ ..just won't be targeting the crappies.....
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:12 PM »
me as well i will be targeting a mixed bag of species....... any ideas on what to use for walleye still never managed to catch one yet  ???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:21 PM »
me as well i will be targeting a mixed bag of species....... any ideas on what to use for walleye still never managed to catch one yet  ???
When coming through Chenango Forks, stop in Davey's and ask for a Ronnie bird

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:29 PM »
I've gone to the derby every year they've had it since '02 (yeah, late start) and have never targeted crappie.  I normally fish for whatever will bite.  To me, the derby is more of a social event than a fishing derby anyway.  I'd definitely like to see them do something about restoring the crappie population down there.  It's literally 5 minutes from my house.

I know the walleye population is growing very well.  I was able to catch a few from shore in the campground the last few years, and I normally get skunked up there.  One of them was 21", my biggest yet from shore.

Al

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:34 PM »
The crappie derby could use a year or two off.  How is the ice their now and some of the ponds around their?

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Will be checking it out today.  I have to go to WP anyway, so I'll take a swing up there and see what it looks like.

Al

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Every thing is open right now. But long pond might be ready this time next week if this cold sticks around.

Offline ronniebird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Hey kappy,  I new you had to put your two cents in about dorchester ... I agree ,but anyway like you said maybe next week we can get on some hard water, I fished the spillway sunday landed about 10 eyes only two measured....fun morning!               later!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:11 PM »
i managed to catch all of one perch 2 years ago at the derby..... hopefully this year will bring better luck  ;D ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:17 PM »
i managed to catch all of one perch 2 years ago at the derby..... hopefully this year will bring better luck  ;D ;D
Forget about catching numbers of fish during derby day. 3-4000 people stomping all over the place..

Glad to hear Ronniebird, been catching loads at the firehouse hole. Still have that 12ft kevlar for sale? Might want to stop by and see how heavy it is.   Kap

Offline ronniebird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:47 AM »
Hey kappy,   yeah i see some boys from davey's been gettin some good eyes in the river.... I fished off shore across from sextons farm thats a good hole but no luck, the river was down . I can stop by the barn with the boat still have it , let me know.....                   

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:21 AM »
hows it lookin for ice up here boys

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:22 PM »
The res is iced over with some small open areas buty wind shouldn't bother it. As long as the temps hold it shouldn't be to long..Long pond will get fishable sooner as it's smaller and higher up in the hills..when ever you guys think it might be fishable i'm up to meeting and checking it with someone as long as we bring our safety gear

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Kappydick, keep me informed if your going to try to venture out, still might be alittle thin. Let me know, I live in JC I meet you about three years ago at the gravel pit.
               Thanks Rick

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Welcome aboard Tubby, I'm going to try long pond first. Might give it a shot friday morning but will have to hook up with someone as i doubt anyone else will be trying this soon. But nice thing about long pond there is alot of shallow productive (3-5ft) areas to fish. My pond at the farm has 3 inches already but thats only an acre. send me a pm with your schedule and we'll try to hook up.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Kappy, I try to fish Long Pond at least 4 to 5 times during ice my 10 year old loves fishing for those gators the water is pretty clear and the picture on the underwater camera is also very clear keeps him glued for hours never gets bored. The only time I could get free this week would be Sunday morning. Let me know I'am ready. ice picks, extra rope, life vest, and extra change of cloths if needed and a little somthing to warm the core if needed.   ps Tubby is the name of my car not my size ;D   

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:30 AM »
I think I will be hitting Dryden with Hwangler001 sunday..Your more than welcome to join us.

billybono

« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:29 AM »
I've gone to the derby every year they've had it since '02 (yeah, late start)

you must have been the only guy in 02  :D

billybono

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Yep I know this but for the most part the fishing always stinks there :)  I have been known to catch a few decent ones outta there in recent years  ;)

You think ice fishing or both open and ice?  Because open is a whole nother story   ;)

Offline susquayugafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Way, way back in the day fishingking, when the Point was real good for crappies in the late 70's and the 80's, people would be yanking 12" slabs out all day long right in the midway  :D  The crowds didn't effect the fish and everybody was catching crappies everywhere you looked all day long to the left and to the right :o  Things have changed :'( but there still are some big slabs to be had if you know where to look :tipup:  My fondest memory is when they called out my name at the derby a few years back to badmouth me and I think it was billybono who told me about it :D
[/qu
\I remember the MC said "some fella named slipbobber was all wrong about the derby", or something like that! We need to get IS flags to udentify each other. I gotta wonder how many people I've fished with not knowing who they are?? It got to the point where People would look at me like I had two heads if I asked them if they were on IS, and to explain yourself over and over kinda got old!! I might even get my equipment out this year to fish, as long as I'm there!

Andy

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:42 AM »
  you must have been the only guy in 02  :D

billybono

Yeah, I just realized that after I made the post.  It was right around there - '01 - '03.

Went by the res. yesterday and there were spots with what looked like thick(er) ice and a lot of places with just a thin sheet on it.  Shouldn't be long now if the weather holds up.

For anyone interested, Papish Pond in Texas Valley is covered in ice.  Looks "safe", but I didn't get out and check as I didn't have my auger with me.  I'd give this pond another week as well just for safety's sake.

Al

billybono

« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Way, way back in the day fishingking, when the Point was real good for crappies in the late 70's and the 80's, people would be yanking 12" slabs out all day long right in the midway  :D  The crowds didn't effect the fish and everybody was catching crappies everywhere you looked all day long to the left and to the right :o  Things have changed :'( but there still are some big slabs to be had if you know where to look :tipup:  My fondest memory is when they called out my name at the derby a few years back to badmouth me and I think it was billybono who told me about it :D

dude it was funny. i have been to 3 derbys and have yet to personally see a fish caught. i see a lot of guys fishing around 1 am before the start however  ::)

i wont ever go back

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.