The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big Stone - Traverse and Lunker Fish!!  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
Big Stone - Traverse and Lunker Fish!!
« on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Do any of you SD guys and gals fish these two border lakes? I use to fish them back in the fifties and early sixties and did quite well on northern and walleye. I now live in Colorado and really miss the days I spent on the ice growing up. If I get back to the home place, Corona, SD, this coming summer, I'll see if I can find the photo of me from January 1, 1956 with a 12# walleye I caught. Ten years old, first walleye, and what a beauty! I had my perch line in and was lucky to bring the fish in as it straightened my hook when I pulled it to the top of the hole and if not for my Mom's quick hands dishing it out of the hole, it would have been lost. Then, I think it was 1963, I ran down to Bigstone one morning from the farm after milking cows and by the time Dad arrived later that morning, I had another 12# walleye and a 8# northern on the ice. Still remember that day like it was yesterday. I can't remember how many fish I caught that day but I do remember tip-ups going off almost constantly that morning. I recall one winter growing up when my brother constantly kept bringing home northerns over 10#. He took me along one day, I was probably ten or eleven and I can still see the head of that northen just below the ice hole and my 30# test line hanging limp in my hands. Sometimes the best fish never hit the ice... in my dreams it still hits the scales at 20#!!! Sweet dreams for an old codger to remember! Well enough from me. Just found this site and I truly love reading all of your SD ice fishing posts.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Stone - Traverse and Lunker Fish!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:13 AM »
  Hey goat if you make it back let me know. We have a cabin on big stone in the twin silos area we could get together and fish.......
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Highsparks,

I'll take you up on that if we come. Been a long time since I fished Bigstone. Thought about going up this summer. Will keep you posted if things work out.

Prairiegoat

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Prairiegoat, I know how you feel. I moved back to SD from Colorado in 1977. Best move I ever made. I still hate being crowded.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigstone ice addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Good morning
Fishing on Big Stone has been slow this winter, I live in the Meadowbrook area on the MN side right across from the twin silos, but I am thinking the other poster is from farther up the lake. Fishing in the summer was good early and picked up agin this fall

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.