Author Topic: Perch cooking tips  (Read 10873 times)

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Perch cooking tips
« on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Just thought I would share a few tips with you all.  When I get done filleting my perch I soak them in milk for a hour or so in the fridge.  This seems to take allot of the fishy taste out.  My wife likes them better that way.  I recently used a chowder recipe and substituted perch for the clams.  It turned out great.  My all time favorite is beer battered perch. What are your favorite perch recipe's????

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch cooking tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Your perch taste fishy?  Might consider changing lakes :)  I agree wholeheartedly with a nicely seasoned beer batter in the deep fry!
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:19 PM »
There is only 1 lake within a 100 mile radius that contains perch :(

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:58 PM »
defiantly got to go with the beer- battered in the fryer... i want to try smoking some if any body has any recipe's i be greatly interested thanks
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:14 PM »
soaking the fish in brine before smoking it is priority....how long depends on how much (in weight) you've got....very important!! 

check out these threads..quite a few on smoking fish...makes me hungry just reading them... ;) 

hardwater cuisine

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 04:13 PM »
thanks fshnfool it does sound good don't it

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:02 PM »
fillet a perch then boil it and eat it with cocktail sauce
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:06 PM »
fillet a perch then boil it and eat it with c**ktail sauce

poor mans shrimp ;)
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:13 PM »

Waahhh! Only one lake in a 100 in a hundred mile radious with bad tasting perch ;)

You got ice though 8)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:42 PM »
How do you make yellow perch from Maine taste good? Or better yet, get us to try one?   ::)

Sorry, had to ask.

And I plan on trying some this year if I catch a few.   :pinch:
Had some beer battered crappie and bluegill for the first time this year and it was great. They were caght in Kansas though.  :-\

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:51 PM »
How do you make yellow perch from Maine taste good? Or better yet, get us to try one?  

I might give it a try myself, after reading about how good they are......give this a shot....ice the fillets down to draw out any bacteria then soak em in the milk.....egg and flour/garlic powder/pepper coating.....fried in a pan w/ some E.V.O.O.  sounds ok

just cooked up some brookies that way....minus the egg and flour and they were awesome... ;D

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Use whole perch fillets or cut jumbo's into pinkie finger sized pieces. Combine one gallon water w/ 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, and juice of 1 lemon.  Bring water to a rolling boil, throw in a good handful of the perch pieces, when water returns to a boil, boil for 3 minutes. Take out of water and drain, squeeze lemon juice on fillets and dip in melted garlic butter.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM GOOD, and easy.  I cut the recipe in half and use my deep fryer to boil the water and used the basket to remove from water and drain.  This recipe works w/ any fish and is really good w/ pike.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Use whole perch fillets or cut jumbo's into pinkie finger sized pieces. Combine one gallon water w/ 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, and juice of 1 lemon.  Bring water to a rolling boil, throw in a good handful of the perch pieces, when water returns to a boil, boil for 3 minutes. Take out of water and drain, squeeze lemon juice on fillets and dip in melted garlic butter.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM GOOD, and easy.  I cut the recipe in half and use my deep fryer to boil the water and used the basket to remove from water and drain.  This recipe works w/ any fish and is really good w/ pike.

Now that sounds good to me :o

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Dip the fillets in an egg wash and coat with Italian seasoned bread crumbs. deep fry till golden brown. I make a sauce with dill relish and mayo. Leftovers are great in a hot or cold sandwich. I enjoy eating the leftovers cold, dipped in the dill sauce like potato chips and dip. Never had a bad tasting perch.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:25 PM »
Sweet and sour fish thats different that sounds good a little garlic to top it off :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PWR BAIT

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:42 PM »
Try perch fillets in glass pyrex, butter about half the thickness of fillets sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese on top of fillets. put in broiler 7 to 10 min or untill done tastes good.  <another>   1cup shore lunch 1cup italian bread crumbs mixed in zip lock, throw fillets in bag shake. olive oil in bottom of fry pan just covering bottom get super hot and fry ummmmmmmm good.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:06 PM »
1-2 Lb. Perch Fillets
2 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs (Oriental Bread Crumbs)
1/4 Cup Applewood Smoked Bacon (cook 80% of the way)
1/2 Cup Fresh Shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 Tblsp. Fresh Chopped Thyme
1 Tblsp. Fresh Chopped Parsley
1/4 Lb Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup White Wine
S & P To Taste

Melt butter and reserve the butter in half. Take all other ingredients (except wine) and mix well including half butter. Coat Fillets in other half of the clarified butter and lay in caserole dish. Pack the Bread Crumb Mixture on top and gently distribute wine throughout. Bake at 350 for about 25-20 min...or until fork tender. You should have a nice golden brown topping :flex:

BTW...I have been a Professional Chef for over 15 years ;D

bigdave1018

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:12 AM »
cut into small pieces,deep fry in a sauce pan with peanut oil or bf crisco. i use flour for coating its fast and cheap. drain on paper toweling. mix any brand french salad dressing, catsup and real horseradish together for a dipping sauce. its sooooooooooo goood!!!!!!!!!!!!! in oven baking dish,put fillets in the dish with 2 pads of butter or pam spray and cook for about 8-10 mins at 350Degrees. low cal for us weight watchers and diabetics. on stove make sure the oil is as hot as you can get it cause the oil wont get absorbed as much. its trial and error but the more you do it the better you will get. enjoy.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:10 AM »
must be nice

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Here's a perch recipe that I know you folks from Maine will love!

Combine 1/2 gallon of italian dressing, 1 pint of horseradish, 3 1/2 pounds of ground liver and 2 crushed crackers in a large uncovered bowl.
Add 24 filets from freshly caught jumbo perch and allow them to soak in this mixture for 7 hours.
Place this mixture on your sidewalk and drink 12 beers while waiting for the neighborhood cats to come along and indulge themselves!

:whistle:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:00 AM »
sounds like u done that before haha

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:51 AM »
All of the above sound great!  Keep 'em coming. 

I like cajun style Uncle Buck's brand batter from BPS.  Walleye and perch are like pheasant, they are so mild that they are easy to flavor however you like, and always taste great.  It's tough to screw them up in the pan too! 

I like to soak my fillets overnight before using or storing, unless I'm hungry and the plan is shore lunch, or post-fishing lunch.  Usually they soak in a slight salt/water mixture, or maybe a lemon juice/water mixture.  No fishy taste at all, but then again, I think Perch have the least "fishy taste" of all species. 
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:01 AM »

Combine 1/2 gallon of italian dressing, 1 pint of horseradish, 3 1/2 pounds of ground liver and 2 crushed crackers in a large uncovered bowl.
Add 24 filets from freshly caught jumbo perch and allow them to soak in this mixture for 7 hours.
Place this mixture on your sidewalk and drink 12 beers while waiting for the neighborhood cats to come along and indulge themselves!

You forgot the Warfarin / arsenic / whatever.  I don't have much use for cats, particularly those of other folks in my yard.

No fishy taste at all, but then again, I think Perch have the least "fishy taste" of all species. 

That may be...the key to reducing fishy taste (and smell) is freshness.  It also helps if they come from cold water.  Pike, bled out, from cold water and done fresh, are excellent.  I tried crappies for the first time recently and found the texture to be less firm than that of perch, sauger, walleye, pike.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:34 PM »

This is also an excellent bluefish recipe.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:11 AM »
All of the above sound great!  Keep 'em coming. 

I like cajun style Uncle Buck's brand batter from BPS.  Walleye and perch are like pheasant, they are so mild that they are easy to flavor however you like, and always taste great.  It's tough to screw them up in the pan too! 

I like to soak my fillets overnight before using or storing, unless I'm hungry and the plan is shore lunch, or post-fishing lunch.  Usually they soak in a slight salt/water mixture, or maybe a lemon juice/water mixture.  No fishy taste at all, but then again, I think Perch have the least "fishy taste" of all species. 

Tony Cachere's cajun breading is pretty tasty too!!  I don't think i've tried any perch that i didn't like.

It def helps any fish to soak them in a bowl of cold ice water prior to cooking (firms them up and makes the flesh very white).

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:50 AM »
If you would like the perch as an appetizer, try making seviche. 
           Place the juice of 6 limes in a glass bowl, add 1 lb. perch (or other lean, white fish) cut into 1 inch
           chunks.  Slice 1 medium onion, 1 green bell pepper, 4 drops of very hot sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic
           3 or 4 peppercorns.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the frig for 24 hours.
           Drain, serve with crackers and cream cheese ,  or on thin slices of a crusty baguette. 

The acid in the lime actually "cooks" the fish...my husband and I have this in the summer as a meal.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:26 AM »
If you would like the perch as an appetizer, try making seviche. 
           Place the juice of 6 limes in a glass bowl, add 1 lb. perch (or other lean, white fish) cut into 1 inch
           chunks.  Slice 1 medium onion, 1 green bell pepper, 4 drops of very hot sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic
           3 or 4 peppercorns.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the frig for 24 hours.
           Drain, serve with crackers and cream cheese ,  or on thin slices of a crusty baguette. 

The acid in the lime actually "cooks" the fish...my husband and I have this in the summer as a meal.

I do the same thing with shrimp Littlelady.  Never thought about trying fish.  If it's half as good as the shrimp are it will be awesome!  Guess I better go get some perch ;D

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I do the same thing with shrimp Littlelady.  Never thought about trying fish.  If it's half as good as the shrimp are it will be awesome!  Guess I better go get some perch ;D

That sounds darn good

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Gee, I wish some of these perch fishers that come to South Dakota and crowd our lakes would head out to Maine and wherever else perch aren't appreciated and leave us alone. I talk to people from Missouri, Colorado, Illinois and many more places that are here for the perchin. If you could get them to come out east, they would be happy to catch your perch and you guys would be happy to see them do it. Maybe you guys need to get in the internet and complain about all your pesky perch and encourage them to help ya out. Get my drift???  :woot: ;D ;)2 >:D :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:43 AM »
place perch filets in a single layer on microwave safe plate.

add a few pats of butter (real butter) and sprinkle with lemmon pepper.

cover with another plate.

nuke on high for 5 min.

this also works well with cod and halibut, and the perch is just as good- there is little or no "fishy" smell or taste.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.