Author Topic: Run away auger  (Read 19721 times)

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
Run away auger
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:34 PM »
I was up at the lake the day after Christmas and a couple guys came down the hill next to me carring their buckets, then later with a hand auger and an old gas auger, looked like it was an older model, the bigger kid had the hand auger and started drilling holes had first one done and started on the second, while the younger kid who stood about as tall as the auger was pulling his heart out to get this thing started. Man it sounded like it ran tops, so I watched to see how quick he could pop a hole, He got the first hole cut and that auger was warming up and sounded strong, so he starts cutting his hole and he is so short the powerhead is even with or above his head when he starts,motor sounded great but blades must have been dull, just as the auger was breaking through he lost his grip and that auger spun out of his hands and was spinning around spewing gas out of the cap, it was running about half throttle to wide open, I thought it was going to come out of the hole. The bigger kid was yelling grab it grab it, that thing was a blurr, could not even see the handles. It ran for about 30 ,40 seconds but seemed longer, We all three were laughing after it was over, They went about their business like this happens all the time.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Re: Run away auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:43 PM »
Lmao I've seen those old 3hrs one handle jiffys get away from guys too. lol They should really ban those.Seen one old guy that it slipped out of his hand and hit him in the chest and knock the wind out of him and broke a few ribs too.Had to help the poor fella into his truck and load up his gear for him.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:52 PM »
This happened to me using a old Eskimo.  Kind of embarrassing.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I had a friend back in High School That was using an Auger with the engine on a "back pack" out planting pines for Forestry class. Any ways he decided that he was done and instead of someone shutting the motor off before he took the engine off his back he though he could do it himself. needless to say after he set the Auger down and in the process of taking the pack off, the throttle opened. The auger started spinning in circles on the ground and he was in the best performance of hop-the -auger.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:36 PM »
 :-[ i cant laugh at that because i share an auger with my father and its about 20+ years old and i have had that thing get away from me and actually rip the gloves right off my hand. i know how they feel

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:32 PM »
I was fishig with a buddy one day probably second time ever and the auger was idle half way in a hole waiting to figure the line up. Well my dumb @__ leanes on it and hit the throttle it spin me on the ice as my elbow got stuck between the hanle. of coarse it was durring a derby so it didnt go unnoticed ::) 

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:10 PM »
lol u sould ban all gas augars lol ;D

Offline shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:02 AM »
The time I remember wasn't really a run away auger as much as runaway operator A buddy was setting up to drill his holes to put his shack over and it was perfect smooth black ice that Jiffy 30 bit and spun him around about 3 times he never let go but it sure was funny it took 2 guys to hold that auger till he got a hole drilled

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:23 PM »
I didn't have a "runaway" auger, but the first time I ever drilled a hole, I wasn't paying much attention and had the muffler pointed right at me, I spun it around as quick as I could and my dad was grabbing for it 'cuz he thought it was getting away from me, I yelled to him I was OK, just wasn't crazy about all the smoke in my eyes and nose. My jacket still stinks........ ::)

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:20 PM »
One of the guys we fish with has a hole in all his fishing cuvies from the exhaust on his old strikemaster, muffler has stuff melted all over it :D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:53 PM »
hey it happens to the best of me i mean us
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Kinda off subject but....I spun out a hole one time and pulled the auger up.  My blades caught my carhartt bibs around the ankle and damn near twisted my leg all the way around.  Ripped a huge hole through my bibs and thru my jeans.  SPARED MY LEG THOUGH!  Very very close im sure i could have had it worse.  Kinda scary actually.... :-\

Offline flagnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2007, 03:36 PM »
WOW thats a story to remember

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:39 PM »
LMAO :D
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Power augers can be dangerous, but so can the 4" hand powered jobs.

I was fishing with a friend and I had just put new blades on my auger the day before. To keep them nice I drill 1/2 a hole to keep the blades safe and unfrozen. Just give it a whirl and put the cover on it and i'm golden. Well my buddy Bob was putting my auger in the sled at the end of the day, and he decided to "clean" the blades off with his thumb before he put the cover on it. Needless to say, he sliced a heavy glove and his old thumb right 2 the bone. I was carrying all his junk and mine off the ice that day , + he was walking off the ice with his thumb in his other hand squirting blood everywhere. When we got to the truck his hands were covered, he was white as a sheet and I thought he was gonna pass out. A few stitches later, and he was good to go, what a dumb ass lmfao.

cnypanfisher

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:12 PM »
i did the same thing last time i played hockey. probably about 25 yrs ago. just finished playing, took off the skates and decided to wipe the snow off the blade of the skate. Cut right through my glove and into the palm of my hand...still have the scar.

Offline fishnfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Have you ever hit a tree or stump half way through the ice??? I love drilling right up against sunken trees and from time to time you'll hit a solid branch frozen in below the surface of the ice...If it's never happened to you, you'll know when it does.  That auger will be spinning full speed, then come to an immediate stop sending stunning pains down your arms, into your back and neck, and a bad hit will make your toes numb.  Ever time it happens to me, I feel temporarily paralyzed for about 10 seconds.  You can never expect it, that's why I always have 2-3 sets of new blades with.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:21 PM »
 :o  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Seen an auger built out of a starter motor and a flywheel and on the maiden voyage the jumpers hooked to the pickup battery and the solenoid switch engaged and the drilling going great until the bit hooked in the ice,spun the two guys off that were hanging onto it then procedded to wind up about 75` of jumper cables and didnt quit spinning after the cables come loose from the battery.took a while for that contraption to come to a stop even after the cables come a flying offn the battery.LOL nobody got hurt and all that were involved were laughing. ;D did`nt take em long to get that thing dissasembled and hauled to the boneyard of not so good icefishing gear.LOL

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Funny,  ha real funny  :laugh:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:51 PM »
One of the guys we fish with has a hole in all his fishing cuvies from the exhaust on his old strikemaster, muffler has stuff melted all over it :D
As i hang my head this happen to me 2 years ago out on a lake just after I bought my new clam suit. Boy was I P.O.ed.  >:( >:( >:(
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline mntman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:19 PM »
I went out fishing with a friend and my dad a couple years ago. The friend of mine said he'd drill all the holes, so I was cleaning them out. My dad started fishing and pulled up a small bow almost immediately. Just then Al walks over and says "I didn't mean to, it was an accident", I said "what are you talking about" and was really confused cause he said it again, I looked behind him and seen the auger laying on the ice with a blood trail from it to his right foot. The auger jumped out of the hole while drilling and sliced through his boot and nearly all the way through his foot. Needless to say but we made it to the emergency room in record time. :( His wife says he isn't allowed to run the power auger ever again.

Mntman

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Seen an auger built out of a starter motor and a flywheel and on the maiden voyage the jumpers hooked to the pickup battery and the solenoid switch engaged and the drilling going great until the bit hooked in the ice,spun the two guys off that were hanging onto it then procedded to wind up about 75` of jumper cables and didnt quit spinning after the cables come loose from the battery.took a while for that contraption to come to a stop even after the cables come a flying offn the battery.LOL nobody got hurt and all that were involved were laughing. ;D did`nt take em long to get that thing dissasembled and hauled to the boneyard of not so good icefishing gear.LOL

Saw something like that at Fort Peck.  Only it was a corn chopper motor.   A couple of drunks from North Dakota.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:37 PM »
i don't have a power auger but i do have an interesting story,
last time i was out i took my 8" hand auger and started to drill a hole. pretty soon i was on my knees with the auger handle almost touching the  surface of the ice, then i broke through. it was like that until i adjusted the length of the auger. the ice was 26" thick. i was wishing for a power auger all day.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:54 AM »
 ;D
 Funniest one I ever saw was about 20 years ago, it was late season and the ice was getting sketchy around the edges. So our buddy who had bought this great new eskimo, kind of like Tim the tool man had to soop it up a little, he says he would check the ice. walks out maybe 35' or so, sets it down and cranks her up. After zipping abut 10"  he slams it right into the end of the dock, must have been ten to twenty feet that thing threw him right on his back, thump on the ice. Never forget the grin through the beard and the thumbs up ice is ok guys. Had to fish with wet pants the rest of the day.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:25 AM »
i bought a old auger from the late 50's or 60's. had bike type handles. 3 hp. just about tore my arms off when it caught in the ice. never used it again! :roflmao:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2008, 02:14 AM »
Lmao I've seen those old 3hrs one handle jiffys get away from guys too. lol They should really ban those.Seen one old guy that it slipped out of his hand and hit him in the chest and knock the wind out of him and broke a few ribs too.Had to help the poor fella into his truck and load up his gear for him.

A few years back the guy that fished next too us had one,we were listening too him drill a hole out in his camp when we hear a big bang,so we go over and see what happend. hes on the floor unconscious with all his front teeth knocked out apparently the auger caught somehow and smacked that fella good :o

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2008, 05:40 AM »
Look at all these advertisements for the ICEGATOR  Never happens with the Icegator!!!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2008, 06:00 AM »
he"s lucky it didn"t wack him in the head.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline YELLOWGIANTS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "where did my pole go"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Had a brand new 2004 sportsman 700 with 10 miles on it, first time out on the ice with it the 8" strikemaster gets away and slices the left rear tire wide open. What away to break in a new machine!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.