Author Topic: Help! Need Ideas???  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Help! Need Ideas???
« on: Oct 25, 2003, 01:41 PM »
With the vast amount of knowledge floating around site, could you folks give me some ideas???  I am interested in building a 8X8X6 or 8X6X6 shanty.  Would like some plans or ideas that you may have concerning wieght, insulation, door frame, door, peaked or non-peaked roof, side mounted runners, or bottom runners?  I would also be interested in mounting or installing a small wood stove inside?  Any wood stove ideas, (Yukon stove, homemade, etc...)  Would have never thought about building such a large shanty, but I was given a ton of lumber, (1/2" - 3/4" plywood, 2 X 6" planks, and 2X4's)  Your help is appreciated!  - Barleydog :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Help! Need Ideas???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Check out ice shack tips,you will find what your looking
for there.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 05:44 PM »
Barleydog,
I have some plans on my site for a shanty. Mine is 5(w)x8(l)x6(h) with a peaked roof. I like the peaked roof because I'm adding shelves above the seats and it gives me more room. If I was not concerned about moving it around, I would go with a 6(W)x10(L)x6(H) with the way I have it layed out (benches on each end). The bigger the better if you are going to be using a wood stove. The stove will take the place of one person. I use a "buddy" style propane heater in mine that takes up very little room. I'd NEVER use wood now, just because of how easy the propane heater make things. I get to the shanty...light the heater....Drill holes..stetup traps...and come back to a nice warm shanty. I'm going to be adding a cleaning/cooking table to mine this year too. I hope to have things finished and new pictures up by mid November.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

mngonefishing

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:53 PM »
 Barleydog, check out this website http://www.fishontario.com/ice-fishing/buildahut/workshophut.html
good luck :D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:38 PM »
ESOX and MNGONEFISHIN  Thanks much for the time!  I printed lots of ideas from both sites.  Bob, your ideas are pretty detailed enough to get me started in the right direction.  If I get the nod from the other fellas, we may replicate your shanty!  I do use a Buddy heater, (Dynoglo) and it works well in the portable and no doubt will produce enough heat in a larger shack.  Just have a ton of scrap lumber at my disposal and thought a woodburner would be "nostalgic."  I grew up fishing a 10X8 shanty with bunks and a wood stove in Wisconsin, lot's of memories, but it's a lot of lost space that's for sure!  
Have you had any problems with the holes located in the center of the shanty?  I like the idea, just wondering how far from the walls and the distance they are seperated?  By the way, nice site you have established!  Beautiful country down there in Vermont :)  -Jim :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Jim,
First..Thanks!  ;D  I use a DynaGlo heater as well...I said "buddy" type, because there are a lot of folks who don't know what they are. Yes...wood stoves are "nostalgic", but they are a pain in the butt. I burn wood to heat my house...that's enough for me..lol.

I have not had too much for problems with the holes in the center of the shanty. I would have liked then a little farther from each other, that's why I suggested going with a longer (9' or10') shanty. The shanty is 5' wide and the holes are spaced 1' apart. 6' wide would give you 2' between the holes and 1' form the walls. 10' long would let you move the holes 6" from the seats (I would like to do this for longer jigging rods) and give you 2' between the holes lenght wise(bigger walk way).

By the way...I had to laugh. I don't here "down there in Vermont" very often. ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2003, 02:25 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Yeah it's always wierd asking friends and relatives to "come on up north."  You can't get any farther north than this, without a good team of dogs. 8) -Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline blundell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Barleydog,
I have some plans on my site for a shanty. Mine is 5(w)x8(l)x6(h) with a peaked roof. I like the peaked roof because I'm adding shelves above the seats and it gives me more room. If I was not concerned about moving it around, I would go with a 6(W)x10(L)x6(H) with the way I have it layed out (benches on each end). The bigger the better if you are going to be using a wood stove. The stove will take the place of one person. I use a "buddy" style propane heater in mine that takes up very little room. I'd NEVER use wood now, just because of how easy the propane heater make things. I get to the shanty...light the heater....Drill holes..stetup traps...and come back to a nice warm shanty. I'm going to be adding a cleaning/cooking table to mine this year too. I hope to have things finished and new pictures up by mid November.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob
   hey bob i was just wondering if you could help me out also.  I will pay you if i could get a set of the 5x8x6
thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.