Author Topic: cold lake lakers  (Read 15456 times)

Offline bardfromedson

• IceShanty Rookie
cold lake lakers
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:17 PM »
was wondering if anyone has fished cold lake in the winter for lakers? never fished there but would like to head up there if its worth a try

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: cold lake lakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:06 PM »
My son's FIL has two cabins on Cold Lake, one on the northwest end on English Bay, the other a 1 hr. quad ride from the highway to Pierceland.  We do spend some time there, and have done quite well, thanks to the boy's FIL, who knows the lake like his backyard.  The lake is not in good shape to cross from town, but if you come in from French Bay, or the Martineau River on the sunny Sask. side, fishing for lakers and wallys should be relatively good.

Offline Mudder Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 07:30 PM »
I have only fished Cold lake once and that was in the spring. We hammered them and i thought we did very well for never being on the lake before. I would also like some more info from anyone that fishes there in the winter. I as well would like to make a trip up there from Red Deer.

Mudder

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:40 PM »
We were out on Cold Lake today, driving on from French Bay....there has been a bit
of action about 1km out...we didn't catch any, but the guy about 10 metres away
sure pulled in a keeper.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Hey, bardfromedson.....out again on Cold Lake at French Bay; we saw other trucks that had driven on from the Marina in town.
It seems like the fishing is good out there as well.  Good luck!!

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:44 AM »
i have fished cold lake, in the summer. out from french bay. caught a lot of pike, walleye.. just wondering if there is good perch in there, and where can u fish for the lakers.. havnt ever ice fished them before.. i fish them in summer at peerless lake, but never through the ice.
catch em.. kiss em, and let em go.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Whew.  My husband and I just got in from our morning on French Bay....they are still biting.
I ended up with one nice one on the ice just at 11:00, so they are still active!!  We also
noticed trucks out in other parts of the lake...take your pick of places.

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:57 PM »
thanks.. i have never fished em throught the ice.. u just jigging with a big shiner.. smelt..and do they come up shallow like in the spring.. sorry if too many questions. .love my lakers.. just want to try them through the ice.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Hey, fishmonger....Sweetie and I are just heading out....I use a white flashie 3/4 oz  bucktail jig with a chunk of herring...he uses
a 1/2 white aeroplane bucktail jig, same bait.  In four trips out we have caught three; the size limit on Cold Lake is 65 cm.
We are fishing in 128 feet of water....again, we are heading to French Bay cause it is easy to get on there and there are good tracks.
It is a big lake, with lots of good holes.  Hope you make it down and enjoy!!!

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Wow, are they biting!!  Sweetie and I went out this afternoon, as the snow thinned out and the
wind speed fell...as did the temperature!!  We were out from the Provincial Park...it is rough
getting on the lake there, but after 300 metres or so it smooths out...we each got a ten
pounder on the ice, and they were still biting....smaller jigs.  Anyway, we are heading out
again 1st thing in the morning before the storm hits tomorrow afternoon.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2007, 07:30 PM »
nice reports littleoldlady....keep em coming, and throw in some pics if you can....one of the finer lakes in Canada.....Grump  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:12 PM »
way to go little old lady.. u said u were in 128 feet.. are u actually using your hook that deep or just suspending it and jigging. i am headin ther in a couple weeks.. good luck before the storm comes..

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:52 PM »
Hey, guys....I am glad that you like the reports, as I try and get out every day.  I will upload some of the
pics of the gorgeous ten pounders that Sweetie and I got today.  We were out at the 100 level....
he cranks his jig up from the bottom to the 60 foot level and gets action that way....I bounce my jig
off the bottom and pick them up there.  We had a wonderful afternoon....got out after the wind and snow,
and hopefully will have another couple of hours in the morning before the next front moves through.
Catching them today was like taking candy from a baby!!!

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Here are som of the pics from today...Jan. 8...great fishing

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:59 PM »
They just won't quit.  And there seems to be schools of them along any of the 100 foot contour..
you can print off a depth map of Cold Lake at the Angler's Atlas site, btw.  It is our bible.
Anyway, we were out there at 10:00 and home by lunch with a couple of big ones...mine was
a shade under 13 lbs, and Sweetie's was 14 lbs.  What a day!!  With blizzard warnings for late
this afternoon, and tomorrow, and then wind...it will be a couple of days before we can go out
again. 

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:46 PM »
hey littleoldlady. your making me jealous with all these stories of lunkers.. im heading up on the weekend of the 20th.. for the sat. ill let u know. hope to hook into some big lakers... talk to u soon.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:34 PM »
i have fished cold lake, in the summer. out from french bay. caught a lot of pike, walleye.. just wondering if there is good perch in there, and where can u fish for the lakers.. havnt ever ice fished them before.. i fish them in summer at peerless lake, but never through the ice.
My husband was just asking, fishmonger, where you caught walleye in French Bay?  I know you fished in the summer, but just wondering.
As for perch, another guy caught fifteen just off the boatlaunch (where you drive onto the ice from the COld Lake Provincial Park.)  Last winter
others were catching perch in Long Bay.  That is also the bay the my husband and I catch pike in.  We are still looking for the wallies!!

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:13 AM »
i went into the bay.. my friend has a cabin ther.. we fished.. across. where the sandbar is..ill get u the coordinates gps wise...been ther coudl walk to where it is.. but hard to describe.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Hey, thanks....and drop me a line before you come....perhaps we can pick a meeting spot and trade gps coordinates..lol. Sweetie
keeps track of where we catch the lakers....

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:03 PM »
This sounds like the time to head up to cold lake for some laker action.
Just got to find a partner with a 4X4.
If any one is interested in heading up there and needs a partner and has a 4x4 give me a shout !

Homewreaker
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:10 PM »
Not a bad idea...and the weather isn't too bad, either....went out today, but to Tulliby Lake for walleyes....did okay.  Tomorrow
heading to Manatokan for some perch, and back to Cold Lake later this week.  Also, if you like rainbow, the fishing out
on Little Bear Lake has been pretty good. 
You can get onto Cold Lake at the Provincial Park or out at French Bay...putting on at the Park is really rough for the first couple
hundred metres.  Hope you find that buddy with a 4x4!!

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Is that the Manatokan up by fort mack.....co -worker rents cabins out there for around $50. day
says its a fly in lake in summer only and 4x4 in winter.
Large perch there only he says ,is that true and no pike !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Is that the Manatokan up by fort mack.....co -worker rents cabins out there for around $50. day
says its a fly in lake in summer only and 4x4 in winter.
Large perch there only he says ,is that true and no pike !
No, that is a different Manatoken...this is the "southern" one...it is on Highway 55 just west and north of Iron River...good perch,
no pike....

Offline fishmonger535

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • was that the wind???
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:46 PM »
hey heading to cold lake this sat.. gonna give those lakers a shot.. let u know how i do.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:00 AM »
[quote autGerhor=fishmonger535 link=topic=41446.msg458968#msg458968 date=1168922789]
hey heading to cold lake this sat.. gonna give those lakers a shot.. let u know how i do.
[/quote]Great, Fishmonger 535.  I take it that you got the GPS reading, then.  Peter and I fished Tulliby Lake laste night for walleyes, and
got a respectabal keeper....we are headed out for perch today....but will be on the lake this weekend, probably.  What do you drive?
We can keep a look out for you.

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Hey guys/gals I am looking at possibly heading up this saturday but have a few questions as I have never fished lakers below the ice before.  Where do I get onto the lake? I know you can at the provincial park, but where abouts on french bay can I get on. How much ice is there? enough to get a duramax diesel safely onto the ice? Also should I just fish where the crowd is?  What should I be using for hooks, bait, and what depth, should I be right on the bottom?  Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get up there and try to get a laker.  is there anywhere to get some perch on Cold Lake to?

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Sorry Littleoldlady ,I checked with co worker today and it is anoughter lake called kimowin Lake

Anyways if anyone has any Gps spots for cold lake for lakers I can trade a few spots also for that lake .Just send me a privit measage.
Homewreaker

PS
Still looking for someone with 4x4  to head up there with !
I have ice auger and fishing gear
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:35 PM »
THanks for the reply via pm lillady. for some reason I can't respond to them or see them on the actual site yet, I must need 10 posts or something.  Thanks for the info, I am from Lloydminster, but go to university in edmonton.  I am heading back to Lloyd this weekend and hope to head up there Saturday for the a while to try and catch a laker.  We may have to investigate into some of the perch as well, only if the laker fishing is slow though, haha.  If anyone is going to be out this weekend what are you going to be driving, I will keep an eye out for you if I get up there.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:46 PM »
A black RAV4 with xcountry skis on it..(there are some nice trails through the Provincial Park).  I take it that you got the information?
If not, I can send it here. 
What do you drive?  Travel safely!  Hope to see you on the ice>

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:33 PM »
yah I got the info, your pm was sent to my email adress.  Thanks again.  We could be in one of 3 different vehicles, don't know who is coming or if we are going for sure or not, although I would really really like to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.