Author Topic: Jigging rod for Lake Trout  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Augerdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have Auger Will Travel
Jigging rod for Lake Trout
« on: Oct 23, 2003, 02:59 PM »
I plan on fishing for lake trout through the ice for the first time this season.  As for just about any topic on ice fishing, this site has given me some great pointers on increasing my chances of hauling a laker through the ice.  I have a question, though.  Most advice on jigging indicates that the best rods for lakers are relatively stiff and from 36"-42".  There seems to be a lot of decent commercial jigging sticks that are smaller but I'm having trouble finding one that meets these specs.  Any suggestions?  I sometimes make my own rods as well, so if anyone can recommend suitable blanks, i'd appreciate that too.  One more question for you jiggers of lake trout - Do you prefer spinning reels or level-wind casting reels?  What brands/models?  Thanks.  

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Jigging rod for Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2003, 09:09 AM »
The rods we use come from a friend of my b-i-l. They are custom made. In the area around where we fish it is artificial lures and barbless by law. With the barbless you need some flex to keep the hook in them but enough of a back bone to get a good hookset. Ours are right in that 36" to 42" range. I do not know what brand or type of blank.

We use spinning reels. I have a Pinnacle Deadbolt on my main rig. A few guys scoff and say it is inferior but it seems to work for me.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2003, 10:10 AM »
Augerdogger,

My set up for lakers is a Berkley Northern Lites 40", 100% graphite rod.  It is rated for 6 to 17lb test line, or medium heavy.  I have a Diawa SS1300 spinning reel, spooled with 8lb Trilene XL, on it.

I fish for lakers with a glow in the dark Fireball jig, tipped with a 3 inch chub minnow.  Around here, the minnow must be dead, and the Fireball jig is the best design that I've found to keep the minnow in the proper horizontal position.  It also has a good set up for a stinger hook if you need one.

Don't forget the sonar.  I lost the transducer for my first one on a laker trip, but thought that I would be okay without one.  WRONG.  There's nothing like knowing that there are fish under you, and that they are looking your offering over.  Just don't spend all of your time looking at the sonar.  When they get close, pay attention to your rod, and line.

Good luck in your search for a good stick.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Augerdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have Auger Will Travel
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2003, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Fishrmn and Hard_H2O.  Do you guys have trouble with line twist with the spinning reels that you use to jig deep for lakers?  Do you use a swivel?  If so, do you rig the swivel at the jig or do you use a leader between the jig and the swivel?  Thanks.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2003, 08:31 AM »
I use a swivel and a floroucarbon leader.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:45 PM »
I tie straight to the jig, but I've thought about using floroucarbon.  Then I guess I'd use a swivel to join the two.

The only time I've had much trouble with line twist is when I've used airplane jigs.  They seem to swim in circles enough to twist the line for me.  

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2003, 12:34 PM »
I use an Eagle Claw white something or other with a good spinning reel, then i put berkely fireline because it allows for solid hook ups when fishing in deep water. But I also put on swivel then a 5-8 foot fluorocarbon leader then usually a big swedish pimple. I rocked the lakers on lake george last year with this set up.
 ~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

NAD42

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:03 PM »
IBT-44 gets the job done...especially when jigging up them big boys in 160' of Lake George water.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Has Anyone Tried The Thorne Brother's Proffesional For Lakers?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:40 PM »
Has anyone here tried the thorne brother's professional for lakers? The ones in the 42" range or so? These rods are pricey, but lakers are nortorious light bighters and nortorious for coming off the hook as well. I use a 34" medium heavy frabill ultra ice and it seems to do okay.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Fishmon

Re: Jigging rod for Lake Trout
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I like the Eagle Claw 36" med/heavy rod which is amazingly cheap ($8.95) and has a good backbone for hooksets.  I use a Daiwa spinning reel with 8# flourocarbon line.  I do most of my laker fishing in 45-60 feet of water with bucktail jigs with a piece of sucker to keep them interested.  Also use vexilar since lakers can really hit hard and it is nice to see them coming.  My second rig for really deep water is a 30 inch Berkely baitcaster rod with an Ambassadeur baitcaster reel which has a great drag.  I use a heavier line on this (12# Stren extra strenght) with a 5 foot flourocarbon leader (8#).  This helps reduce stretch in deep water.  Baitcaster drag will do them in while protecting the leader.  Keep jig hooks as sharp as possible to make hooksets easier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.