The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy 3hp Legend dies when laid down on the ice (or carried to the next hole)  (Read 25747 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've had this problem ever since this auger was new.  I set it down, and it dies.  I let off the throttle to carry it to the next hole,
and it dies.  I usually give it a bit of gas when carrying it to the next hole.  If it dies, it usually starts with one pull, but I think it
should idle better.  Last year I tried some carb cleaner.  This year I tried adjusting the carb needles, but it was not as cold as normal circumstances.  It seemed to help.

I recently purchased a Jiffy 2hp Lightning.  Runs just fine lying on the ground.

Any suggestions, recommendations?  Or is this normal for the 3hp?

Thanks.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
Yup. I believe this is a safety precaution?  ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
no this is not normal,Ive had a jiffy 3 hp for three years and have never had a problem,i can start it set it down and it will idle till i make it stop,but i have mine serviced every fall so its ready for winter,sounds like a minor adjustment though,take it to you local guy and have it serviced might only need a plug and a tweak.good luck
Its all about the good times.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
might only need a plug and a tweak

works everytime !!  not just for augers either   ;D

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Make sure the vent on the gas cap is loose enough to vent properly .

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
Make sure the vent on the gas cap is loose enough to vent properly .

Had the same problem and this was the reason
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Offline rezrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
I've had this problem ever since this auger was new.  I set it down, and it dies.  I let off the throttle to carry it to the next hole,
and it dies.  I usually give it a bit of gas when carrying it to the next hole.  If it dies, it usually starts with one pull, but I think it
should idle better.  Last year I tried some carb cleaner.  This year I tried adjusting the carb needles, but it was not as cold as normal circumstances.  It seemed to help.

I recently purchased a Jiffy 2hp Lightning.  Runs just fine lying on the ground.

Any suggestions, recommendations?  Or is this normal for the 3hp?

Thanks.
http:/i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/insearchofperch/logo1-1.jpg

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
I think its somewhat normal for the 3hps or at least not uncommon.  I use one and it has always done it, even when it was new. I change the plug every year, but this year decided it was time to do the whole works again, change the plug, put in a diaphram kit, clean the carb and change the needles, I also emailed jiffy for the correct settings on the 3hp.  So now it runs like new, starts on the second pull usually, and drills like a brand new auger and its 15 years old, however it still does exactly what yours is doing, although not quite as bad was recently.  Yet I have seen 2hps run fine lying down.  I think it may be how the carb is designed on the 3hp.  Bossman you must have a rare one, as I have seen a couple 3hp jiffys do this but never a 2hp.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
My 3hp does it also.... I think it is just what masterangler says.... Carb design

Offline rezrunner

• IceShanty Rookie

My new out of the box strikemaster was doing the same thing. I took it in to the local small engine repair shop and it turned out to be a dirty diaphram they blew it out and now purrs like a kitten no stalling.
http:/i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/insearchofperch/logo1-1.jpg

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It could be the carb design.  The floats in the card are configured to have the auger standing up right.  If laid down the gas in the carb leans to one site of the carb making the floats shut off the gas supply to the carb.  It still sounds like it is starving for gas on idle since it wants to die when carried to another hole.  Do you carry it up right or carry it on an angle?  If you carry it upright the floats should work to let enough fuel into the carb, but if you carry it on angle it will act the same way as laying it on the ground.  It could also be the vent on the cap.    
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
i see im not the only one with this problem. but it starts on the first pull when i get to the next hole so im not going to worry

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
i have the 3hp legend also and it quits only when i lay it down one way if i lay it down the opposite way it idles up actually revs enough to start turning the blades a fair rate of speed i havent done anything to it yet but i will adjust the idler screw and at least stop the revving.  on a 2nd note i also own a 2hp jiffy white lightening and the thing will stay running laying down dont know but maybe it is the way the carbs are set up.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
My brand new Stealth STX 3hp also does this...I just put it down to the fact that I wasn't letting it warm up long enough.  I'm new to gas augers so have no idea.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
# guys I fish with all have the same make auger 3hp jiffy every one of them die when are in a horizontal position they have tried everything in the tim the TOOLMAN taylor book to get them to stop and have all come to the same conclusion, deal with it and groan. The funny thing is I pop holes faster with my hand auger than they do.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for all the inputs.  I am beginning to suspect some sort of design feature.

As for carrying it between holes, I try to keep it almost vertical...Hopefully the most recent carb adjustment will help.
I always store during the off-season with a little Stabil through the carb, then drain the tank.  Change plugs each year
as well. 

It dies regardless of which handle is pointing up. 

Maybe next year I will splurge and take it to a pro, if it continues to be as reliable as it has in the past.  Like I wrote earlier,
it usually starts first pull at the next hole.

Thanks for all the feedback.

MD.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll make this short:

This is my 3 year old Model 30. Same engine just a different color

pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off.  Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've got the same unit and it does the same thing! Thanks for the tips duck doctor, I'll give that a try. ;D

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've got the same unit and it does the same thing! Thanks for the tips duck doctor, I'll give that a try. ;D

If I had $1 for every time someone has posted about their crappy Jiffy, and $1 for every time I posted this info, I could afford bait in NY!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
I do what duck doctor does, to get it close. Then fine tune it to drilling conditions, with a load on it.  Mine still dies no matter how well tuned it is, I just deal with it.  It runs great otherwise, never had a serious problem with them.  They're great augers, that sometimes need some fine tuning.

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
I have a 3 year old 10 inch 3 hp, a 2 year old 8 inch 2 hp lightning legend, and a brand new 2 hp lightning 6 inch all jiffy of course,bought my new one from the fishing hole in Edmonton and they tell me they sell more jiffy's by a factor of 25 to 1 than all other brands combined,I think mine run so well all the time is that im very big on maintenance,I have them serviced every fall and i drain the fuel almost every time its used and run it dry,it stays very clean and only takes a minute to refuel when the time come depending which one we will be using,but definitely maintenance is the key to trouble free augers
Its all about the good times.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
my father has a 23yr old top and side handle jiffy and i have a new mod.30 and they both do that mater of fact if im punching holes instead of hitting the off switch each time i just lay it in the sled knowing it will stop running as soon as i lay it down.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll make this short:

This is my 3 year old Model 30. Same engine just a different color

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off.  Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

My question:

Excellent pics; excellent instructions. 

One question though Duck Doctor.  Which screw is low speend and which is high speed?
Thanks,
MD.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac

One question though Duck Doctor.  Which screw is low speend and which is high speed?
Thanks,
MD.

Low speed screw is the one on the left and the High speed is on the right

Click here, download the manual and there is a great pic of the carb on page 4 at the bottom left.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/manual.htm

Offline Web

• IceShanty Rookie
My Jiffy 30 also does the same thing. A local small engine mechanic told me it was the fixed jet carb that had that problem. I have a older machine for parts and it has the carb with low and hi speed adjustable jets. Put in a new carb kit and installed it. It runs much better with more power but still quits when tilted! Go figure!!!

trapperdirk

The Highspeed jet will have an "H"  below it or above it right in the metal as will the low will have an "L" or at least my 30 jiffy does . Gotta look close . I'd have to look where it is again .

TD

Offline scuba

• Team IceShanty Regular
Now are you using the choke to get it started for the first time, after the first setting of the screws? Man if I knew all this before I bought the 30, I would have gotten another 2 hp Jiffy instead :-\

camo_fish

Awesome topic.
My 3 HP Jiffy also does the same thing. I tuned her up this fall and now seems that I need to fine tune her on the ice now. But, she does just fine. I also try to carry her vertical from hole to hole, and if she starts to die, I just give her alittle gas. I don't have a problem drilling 10 holes or more at a time other than my arms screaming.   :flex:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline icedad

• IceShanty Rookie
I bought an electric drive unit that connects to my Electra 8'' drill bit and don't have any problems starting it. I just push the button and it goes. So far I have drilled 99 holes through 14'' of ice before it went dead. I am able to cut through 2'' per second of ice. There email is [email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.