Author Topic: WHO DO YOU RESPECT ON THE ICE  (Read 11804 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
WHO DO YOU RESPECT ON THE ICE
« on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I was fishing with a buddy this weekend and we see a couple guys come out with all the gear...the prtable 3 man, LAzer auger, Vexy, etc.  You could tell they spent some cash on ice fishing.  So my buddy says "we should watch them...looks like they know what they're doing.  Not that we didn't but we watched them nonetheless.  And it got me thinking.  Do they??

I've made a lot of my stuff.  Cheaper, more rewarding, good conversation pieces....everything.  So I'm thinking back to this old guy that came out one day right as I was setting up on a lake in NW Iowa.  I am not a minimalist, but I don't bring the kitchen sink either.  But this guy....one bucket, 2 rods, and a hand auger.  No sled.  He waves and walks right by me.  I was going to tell him about the luck  had on the perch the day before right where I was sitting up but I noticed he kind of steered away from me...maybe just didn't want to disturb me.  But he walks out about another 3 hundred yards and I see him stop.  Starts looking around on the ice then pack to shore, then moved north, then out a bit further, then just plops down his bucket and drills 2 holes.  He's fishing in about 3 minutes.  So I'm watching him and see him set the hook but he's out there a ways.   A minute later he has 2 buckets (must have had one in the other).  So I'm slow at my spot, and move out further.  Nothing.  Move out further and pretty soon I'm fairly close...like 30 yards to the south.  So I'm watching tip ups and walking around moving them and fidgeting (i'm not good at staying put)...so I work up the nerve and see if he's friendly ask him how he's doing.  He says "I got one in the bucket..how bout you?" so a convo ensues and I ask him why he chose that spot.  He says "Oh...(kind of looking around and quiet)...there's a rock pile here.  And I said "Really?  How do you know that??  You don't have a GPS or a Vexy."  He says (this is hysterical)  "Sonny, it's been here way before white men were...as far as how deep it is, I'm sure it's about the same as it was the past 30 years and I'm quite sure it didn't move"  Now, the other bucket has a tail sticking out the top of it...it's about a 6 pound walleye.  I said "Wow...when you said you caught one fish I didn't expect that!" (I would have yelled for help more than likely and did a wally dance...I'm subtle that way...LOL)  He says "Son, I said I had one in the bucket...that's my third fish"  You can only have 1 over 21" in Iowa so I'm assuming he had to let the others go.  You would think that I would be able to find that spot again the next day....didn't take a GPS with me.  So I marked it with some land marks and used my PolarVison handheld the next day trying to find it since we had 3" of snow that night....nothing.  At sundown I'm walking home and finally walked right over where he had been...of course it was getting to dark to drill more holes and my wife was going to be mad if I was too late.  But it goes to show you that skill will take you further than your wallet.  I'm not saying those tools don't come in handy and I don't live near a lot of lakes so I hate to reinvent the wheel when I go.  But look for guys with local plates, old rods, away from the pack, and sitting on a bucket.  They aren't there for warmth and camraderie.  They catch fish.   I wouldn't horn in on their action either, but maybe check a structure map and find a like spot.  Sidling up to a bunch a folks in the nearest shanty village may be easy, but I can tell you right now....in most instances, they don't know much more than you other than "go where people are fishing"  I look for these guys on the outskirts and see how heavy their bucket is...anyone afraid to walk through shantytown on the way back to the car is a prime suspect. ;-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WHO DO YOU RESPECT ON THE ICE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Now you're talking!!  You don't NEED vexes, or Marcums, or any of that crap in order to catch fish, but you do have to know how to locate good (or potentially good) spots.

I've got a few places marked out on Chaumont Bay that I locate by using visual reference points on shore and deciding from there where to drill my holes.  These spots have been handed down to me from my Dad, he found them the hard way.  Not saying that finding the good spots is hard in all circumstances, but you certainly don't need the modern gadgetry available today in order to be successful.

Some guys know where to set up by looking at a land mass and thinking about bottom contours, etc...some guys don't..I know I can generally find fish in a given body of water without the need of electronics, not always, but most of the time....and by using my brain rather than electronics I don't have to worry about keeping batteries charged, keeping equipment dry, etc.

I'm not slamming fishermen who use electronics by this post, I'm just saying they aren't as essential as some people make them out to be.

I rebuild my tip ups when they get broken or damaged, and I've resisted buying one of those fancy sleds to haul my gear.  My sled is built out of a pair of ski's and some scrap lumber, and it'll haul everything I carry to the ice....if it gets fubared in some way, I can fix it with a new piece of lumber and some drywall screws....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2006, 03:12 PM »
There was an "OLD TIMER " who fished Saratoga Lake summer and winter and he was pretty much the same as the gent you described.always alone,in the winter he pulled a small sled a pail and 2 rods and he had his spots locked in his brain.He fished every day and caught his limit most days .In open water he had a 12' boat and a 10 hp.motor he always had eyes or a pail of Crappies.We would see him on the lake every time we were out ,he would always wave or say hello but you knew that he wasn't up for small talk, so we always gave him plenty of room .He never had any electronics or newer gear,I don't think he even had a watch.His name was Jack and I never got to know him but he was a pleasure to watch ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Kind of like one of the lakes I fish a rock pile on that comes up to 14 feet with 30 feet around it. Ya line the flag pole at one cottage up with the boat house door an another one and walk until the yellow cottage lines up with the red one. You are right on top of the rock pile. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ronwhtgmc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the thicker the better
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2006, 05:11 PM »
about the guy in the first story...skill is #1 but if he had a vex he would have caught 6 instead of 3.
don't mind me...I'm just an icehole

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Lemme tell ya something about Vexs, Marcums, etc.... NOONE had them before. If people didn't catch fish back in the day without 'em, noone would have kept drilling holes in the ice, they woulda waited 'til the lakes were open. I am glad someone invented the stuff, but you don't need them, and to be quite honest, seems like you've accomplished more if you limit without one.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:42 PM »
 Several years back my buddy Ray and I were fishing in the late afternoons and evenings in a bay on Lake Arthur at Moraine Park in Penn.
 Several times while we were there this old fella would come out by where we were and stop to talk for a few minutes.
 He was around 70 or so and he wore an old army overcoat and wool cap.
 He carried a 7' spinning rod,a homemade spud bar and a cloth grocery sack.
 After spending several minutes with us he would excuse himself as he had to go
"catch supper."
 He would then wander off to the holes that other guys had drilled and abandoned and he would stop and chip them out and begin to fish standing back from the hole using the spinning rod with some little lure on the line.We never saw him use bait and would watch him go from hole to hole.
 He would catch a couple of gills at crappies at most holes and leave them lay on the ice and move on to another hole until he had caught "supper" then he would go around and gather up fish an wrap each one in a half sheet of newspaper and stash them away in the grocery bag.
 One evening just for fun we kept our eye on him as we fished.As he started to gather his catch about a hour after he had arrived,we counted 43 fish that he picked up off of the ice. We each had 7 or 8 apiece that we had caught while we watched him.
 With a wave of his hand he would head off of the ice for the evening and we would sit there an marvel at how easy it seemed to be for him.
 We haven't seen him for a couple of years and I often wonder about him....Maybe he and Jesus are sittin up in heaven jiggin up a few and having a good laugh watching all of the fish swimmin around under the ice posing for our cameras and vexs and laughing at us. Sometimes when it gets quiet on the lake I swear that I can hear em...
 Winchester 88 :) :)
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:47 PM »
You don't NEED vexes, or Marcums, or any of that crap in order to catch fish, but you do have to know how to locate good (or potentially good) spots.

seems like you've accomplished more if you limit without one.

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:25 AM »
Have to agree with Esox. Made some of my own tipups and get a lot of pleasure catching something on them, especially after being told "They'll never work!".  Same with rods. Sometimes on new water I'll use my portable "Bird" for info on depth and bottom structure, and sometimes I'll use shoreline clues like coves and points, streams, cliffs and the like to zero in on a site. Hydrograffic charts are great, if available, to narrow the search. While one of my buds is jigging, both eyes fixed on his vex, I'm watching that eagle or hawk soaring above the lake with cloud castles floating above him, with occasional checks for flags. It's not about respect, or the number of fish caught, or the hi-tech tools, it's about personal satisfaction. I have some tipups older than me, will post pics next time I use them, that always account for some fish and "Boy!!" what a kick that is.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:48 AM »
Skill maybe good but experience will win out every time. Its taken me years to find really good spots on different lakes but last year I started fishing a new lake. My first time out I only caught 1 laker. I then found out my future uncle-in-law fishes that lake regularly. He pulled out a map he had hand drawn and showed me where to set up, how to set the tip-ups, etc. so the next time I went out I ended up landing 10 lakers. I fished there a few more times and did better everytime. I would like to add that the last time I fished I used a vex and jigged up a lot of lakers.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:03 AM »
I don't want people to think I'm not into the "gadgets".  I am...trust me.  But let me tell you this:  You watch people, not red and green, and although the red and green will help you not miss fish, the people will put you on them.  I'm not saying throw out anything with batteries and a motor.  But don't think that you can read a lake map, head to the nearest breakline with an inside turn near a point and limit out.  There is a fine line....I know guys with a lot of gear and an empty freezer!!  LOL.....I guess in the end, what makes you happy is what is important.  Just don't choose between a colleg fund for the kid and a garage full of Cabelas boxes...that stuff (after a good flasher and maybe a power auger) won't help you catch a whole lot more fish.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I own a FL-18 Pro-pack  and an underwater camera. I use em maybe one out of six trips. Heres a good example. I was fishing a 29 acre lake on State land in Michigan. Most anglers were happy with a dozen fish or so. Not me. Knew there was much better potential on this lake. The gen ;Deral theme was that the big gills were suspended 9 feet down in 13 FOW. Slow fishing. The Vexilar revealed instantly over and over the following: drop the tear drop into a mass of weeds on the bottom, then slowly jig up-wards, once at 3-4 feet from bottom, the big gills would rush up and snatch the bait! They were not suspended, but buried in the weeds. I now catch limits nearly every time on that body of water. I no longer use the vex there. Only employed it to tune in the bite!

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I WOULD RATHER WINTER UP NORTH!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I just bought the Vexilar FL-8se and have been draming of using it as soon as we get some ice. (I mean literally dreaming of using it.) All use guys are raining on my parade. Stop it already!  ;)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:46 PM »
I just wanted to add to my original post here that I do not own a vex, or a Marcum, or any fish finding instrument for that matter.  It's highly doubtful I'll ever plunk down money and get one either.............

I do own a power auger, my days of spudding are long gone...........Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline sleddog50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:21 PM »
BUSSWAH
Just keep on dreaming. Nice thing about fishing is ,its what you want it to be. Use a bobber or a Vexilar as long as you enjoy it its good.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:42 PM »
BUSSWAH
Just keep on dreaming. Nice thing about fishing is ,its what you want it to be. Use a bobber or a Vexilar as long as you enjoy it its good.
Well said !!
I don't own any electronics but I don't jig much either . I just enjoy going out with my kid's  and some friends .
It's not all about catching something every time you go out and if you think it is you're missing out on a lot .

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:54 AM »
BUSSWAH
I agree. Fished up until now without any kind of electronics. Never could see spending the money they wanted for the vex. This year the price went down and I had some extra money, so I thought I would give it a try.
I like what someone said earlier in the post about his while his freind is staring at his flasher he is watching the hawks fly overhead. Of coarse, the best thing about being out there is being out there. When those who don't understand are locked up in the house next to the fireplace. A lot of the people I have fished with seem to think it was a successful day on the ice only if they caught their limit. I've always prefered to think that if I catch something, it's just an added bonus. I'm sure those people who have to limit out would say I have to have that attitude because I don't know how to catch fish. Maybe thats true. Guess on not out there to be the lakes best fisherman. Just trying to enjoy another day on the ice.
I remember the gear my Grandpa used when he took me as I child. He converted a dresser drawer into a box to carry the tip-ups in and made a spud bar at work.  A stop at the local bait shop and we were fishing. I inherited the old wooden jig pole with two pegs placed in the top to wrap your line around. Never used it since it has an extremly HEAVY action. Even after he has been gone for a number of years now, I still remember those days spent on streams, rivers, and lakes of NW Pennsylvania.

Offline dfpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:57 AM »

Modern electronics and such are O.k. if that is what floats your stick but being the old fart that I am I'll stick with keeping it simple thank you.
It's whatever you like and works for you!

Good Post!!   :tipup:   :tipup:   :tipup:
Common Sense Is Not That Common!

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:59 PM »
my grandfather was just like that guy in the first post fishing he could tell you were the fish where and they were there every time no gps or any of that just a gas auger and tip ups. hunting the same he never had a compass and if he did he wouldnt know what to do with it he was gifted in every sense of te word he passed away in august and i relized that for me it was the old way or no way flag up gramp         
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:08 PM »
If something is worth doing, its worth doing right. If a fine tune here and there can assist you in becoming a more effective fisherman, then why not? I do not spend money on bait and energy lugging out equipment to only watch hawks fly. I can do that from my yard. I am on the ice to fish, but understand its called fishing and not catching for a reason.
Catching a limit is a challenge much of the time especially when those around you are wandering from hole to hole with no luck. But there is a tremendous degree of satisfaction when one can solve the puzzle on a specific body of water that leads to success. To adapt & overcome what others may not is rising to an ultimate challenge that is measured by effort and success. Success may be measured in a number of ways, but when going fishing, the "catching" part is usually a major factor.
I change baits, tactics and locations, buy new gear or fix old gear not to forget about why I am ultimatley on the ice.
I enjoy nature, hunt ducks & Geese, Deer, Bear and up-land birds. Fish for steelies, salmon and fly fish. During those times I get great doses of scenery and nature. I fish to catch fish period! If I am skunked, there is still satisfaction from being outdoors, on the ice and withstanding the elements, but "I am - therefore I fish to catch fish!"
I do hope that more fisherman turn to ornithology, as this will help preserve fish populations for those of us that fish to "Catch"
 ;)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:46 PM »
Ice fishing is 10% experience. Knowing what baits, lures, equipment to use, where to set up, how deep, etc.
                  90% luck. you never know when, or how the fish will be biting that day. I've been in a spot on one day was very hot and the next couldn't get a bite. that is the luck part
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:18 PM »
its called fishing and not catching for a reason.

;)

The quote of the day!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:02 AM »
adkRoy, your right Ted does Rock!
The 10%/90% rule usually refers to 10% of the fisherman catching 90% of the fish. If luck were 90%, then those 10% percent catching 90% would be spread out nearly equal.
The 10% adapt, modify and overcome when the fish are gone the next day. We move switch baits or bodies of water. We do not catch 90% by fishing unproductive water very long. adkRoy, when the fish turn off the next day, that is a great time to pursue a new species, probe unfished bays and coves or think outside the box. Like the old guy that sits 300 yards from everyone that are not catching, and he returns with a limit or at least dinner. Not guarenteed, but this can be very effective. Sure beats jigging unproductive water. Good luck this year adkRoy. Keep the line tight!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:31 PM »
People it is called progress! Use it wisely. Fishing is a learning experience as was earlier proved by the Old Man and the dinner thing. We all learn every time out. The electronics can help us understand quicker thus shortening the learning process. Just as one quoted "we only have so many sunrises" we must learn as quick as possible!

Just my two cents.
Hardguy

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:03 PM »
This has turned out to be quite the controversial topic. Who would have thought?

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:23 PM »
To each his own.  If you like electronics use them, if you don't then don't.  Whatever gives you confidence go with it.  It all comes down to using what you know to catch a fish.  Whether that info comes from a vex or an old timer on a bucket it's up to you as a fisherman to put it to use.  I respect those who respect me whether they're a gear hog or a minimalist we all have something in common, a love for being outdoors.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:35 PM »
I respect the guys that are willing to tell you things that are true.  Not posting false reports to protect thier spots.  You don't always have to give GPS locations, but at least say what the conditions were, why you were there, structure, temp, depth, ect. so we can use all this forum to learn things or share with each other.  If you were that great, maybe you may have your own TV show!  Oh wait, I forgot, most shows anymore are ads for products.  Times have changed!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Somebody once told me that for every pound of gear you drag on the ice, it is one less hole you will fish due to the hassle in moving.  There is some stuff out there that seems like a great idea in the store, but not so much on the ice. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:14 PM »
I'm with most of you guys in believing that getting out there is the main thing, whether you use "gadgets" or not.  The one comman thing in these stories about "old timers" is that they are just that, "old timers".  They have that experience of fishing the same lake for 30 years.  Who knows who may have helped them when they started.  If you're new to the sport, or new to an area and don't know anyone, then electronics can save you time finding structure, etc.  If you feel you can do it without electronics, fine, then go ahead.  I know at age 47, I don't have 30 years to learn a new lake.  I can take all I've been taught or learned over the years, and that helps, but the "gadgets" help too.  I take my hat off to those that are better fishermen than me (and there are too many to count!  :D), and don't need the extra gear, but the Vex is coming with me from now on.

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Somebody have the final word please! This topic is long past wore out.
Obviously lack of ice has got us all a little on edge.  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.