Author Topic: Nimrods??  (Read 1577 times)

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Nimrods??
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:23 AM »
While at meijers last night i saw these addapters called nimrods that go in a cordless drill and mount to a hand auger. I got the auger and an 18v drill.. anyone used one? If so how many holes can you drill? I almost bought it @ 19.99 thinking i've wasted more on less. ....addicted LAZY gadget junkie!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
Re: Nimrods??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:09 AM »
While at Gander Mtn. a couple of days ago, I heard a guy say he gets 4 holes with his 24v cordless.  Hardly seems worth it.  Lots of variables on how many holes per battery.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:16 AM »
How many holes you get depends on how much ice.  With a Craftsman drill, you can get over 20 routinely.  Carry extra batteries.  The thing to know about these adapters is that when the chuck loosens there is no safety piece to keep the auger from going bye bye. 

JOnesy

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Thats what i need to know, sounds like a 100.00 gadget. 20.00 for the addapter and 80.00 for the new auger. If it is unbreakable, I will break it. and if it might happen ..it will!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I have a drill/auger adapter, not the nimrod but the ice kicker, and it has a safety device so you don't lose your auger if the chuck comes loose.  I've had mine for the past 2 ice seasons and it works awesome.  The key is a 2 speed drill, on HIGH TORQUE and low speed.  I have an 18v RIDGID drill that puts out about 450 in/lb of torque and it got me about 15 holes through 18" of ice at Okoboji last yr on one battery pack.  One battery pack will last me about 25 holes on normal 7"-10" ice around Cedar Rapids.  You CAN NOT use a regular Skil or Black and Decker drill, they will not work, as I found out on my trial run.  You want a drill that can put out at least 300+ in/lbs of torque to work efficiently, teamed with no larger than a 6" mora or you get even better results on a 6" lazer.  Also, you can justify a new drill, if you have to, by telling the wife you can use it around the house for maintenance...   ;)  Just do a search for Ice Kicker on ebay, the guy just made a new adapter with a chain drive that works with lower power drills and bigger augers, but it costs a lot more.  These adapters are worth every penny with the right drill and a 5" - 6" auger.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Make your own. We made 2 or 3 at work last year. not much to it. Also you get more than 4 hole with it.This depends on drill and thickness of ice.
Later Greg
Fish on!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:07 AM »
I made mine i used an end off off a plastic wire spool to keep the auger topside.  I would not recomend useing any auger over 6".  Use a good drill a cheap one will burn up quickly. One from Harbor Frieght lasted my buudy one hole!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.