New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: South Pond near Blue mountain lake  (Read 1232 times)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
South Pond near Blue mountain lake
« on: Jan 09, 2024, 06:38 PM »
Interested in fishing south pond just north of blue mountain lake in Hamilton County. Anyone have experience there? Dec site says lake trout and brook trout and ice fishing is permitted. Was going to give it a try sometime soon.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: South Pond near Blue mountain lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:09 AM »
I have read that you are more likely to catch Bass & Pickerel....As we not so slowly see the ADK ponds/lakes fall prey to a warming climate
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 10:44 AM »
Cornell recently did a study on the impact of climate and trout in Adirondack ponds. The report said warming trends and the amount of organic material on the bottom (which is why most waters are tea colored) is warming the water temp to a point where about 95% of ponds in the Adirondack will be uninhabitable for trout.

https://www.wktv.com/news/health/cornell-climate-warming-lake-browning-put-trout-at-risk-in-most-adirondack-lakes/article_82a4ffd6-abf7-11ee-a079-4f2cc5b3be27.html

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2024, 12:10 PM »
Cornell recently did a study on the impact of climate and trout in Adirondack ponds. The report said warming trends and the amount of organic material on the bottom (which is why most waters are tea colored) is warming the water temp to a point where about 95% of ponds in the Adirondack will be uninhabitable for trout.

https://www.wktv.com/news/health/cornell-climate-warming-lake-browning-put-trout-at-risk-in-most-adirondack-lakes/article_82a4ffd6-abf7-11ee-a079-4f2cc5b3be27.html

Thats a lot of unfound assumptions by possibly 1 person on the climate change part- "climate change has increased both the frequency of extreme precipitation events and the length of growing seasons, thereby promoting greater runoff of organic matter".  I'd be curious to hear the "facts" surrounding the climate change causing any of that ....I was on the ice as early as i ever have been last year .....last spring was one of the latest frosts I've ever seen (I'm 66) when it comes to the growing season ....I believe there might be more run off and therefore more brown water, which may hurt the trout - were they trout lakes to begin with or were they lakes that man tried to MAKE into trout lakes ??  There is probably NO evidence it has to do with climate change (what happened to global warming by the way - they changed the terminology because they couldn't prove there was any, thats what).  There is probably just as much, or more, run off during really cold years with a lot of snow melt as from "extreme precipitation events" ......he sounds like a bit of a climate nut IMO.  In the 70's they were talking about global warming - then 10 years later global cooling....then back to warming again.... .. back and forth back and forth ....then they stopped and just call it climate change - well yeah - climate always changes - its always has ...there will be warm periods and cold periods - some will last decades .....some could last a 100 years .....all we "know" is the small period since we started tracking data, which in the life of the earth is negligable.....get over it .....

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2024, 01:53 PM »
Thats a lot of unfound assumptions by possibly 1 person on the climate change part- "climate change has increased both the frequency of extreme precipitation events and the length of growing seasons, thereby promoting greater runoff of organic matter".  I'd be curious to hear the "facts" surrounding the climate change causing any of that ....I was on the ice as early as i ever have been last year .....last spring was one of the latest frosts I've ever seen (I'm 66) when it comes to the growing season ....I believe there might be more run off and therefore more brown water, which may hurt the trout - were they trout lakes to begin with or were they lakes that man tried to MAKE into trout lakes ??  There is probably NO evidence it has to do with climate change (what happened to global warming by the way - they changed the terminology because they couldn't prove there was any, thats what).  There is probably just as much, or more, run off during really cold years with a lot of snow melt as from "extreme precipitation events" ......he sounds like a bit of a climate nut IMO.  In the 70's they were talking about global warming - then 10 years later global cooling....then back to warming again.... .. back and forth back and forth ....then they stopped and just call it climate change - well yeah - climate always changes - its always has ...there will be warm periods and cold periods - some will last decades .....some could last a 100 years .....all we "know" is the small period since we started tracking data, which in the life of the earth is negligable.....get over it .....

Then where should I get reliable and scientific data? Franks Bar & Grille?...You?...Or climate scientists from Cornell?
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Ling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2024, 03:08 PM »
Definitely not WOKE Cornell

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:43 PM »
Then where should I get reliable and scientific data? Franks Bar & Grille?...You?...Or climate scientists from Cornell?

Well you certainly shouldn't take 1 persons conclusion from a "woke" university from a person you probably know nothing about and believe it ..... did you read that article ?   Do you know who paid for the study ?  Follow the money ....do you know the background of the guy that came to that conclusion ?  Do you know how many of these "studies" have been found to be contrived .....A lot of them do their studies with a result in mind and base their effort trying to "prove" that theory without looking at all the facts ........"Franks Bar & Grille" might be a better place to get your info.....I don't have a dog in this race - all I can do is tell you what I've seen over the past 65 years  .....I don't know anything about the lake he mentioned - the brown water part is believable, the run off makes sense...but to say the brown water is linked to climate change and to believe it is silly IMO.

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:44 PM »

2 of the groups that funded this "study" are the Northeast Climate Adaptation Science Center, and a David and Lucille Packard Fellowship - both huge climate change activist organizations - gee I wonder what conclusion they will come to about "climate change" and those lakes. W/O a "climate change" finding they don't get more funding and they don't exist.  The Cornell Atkinson Center is another that funded his "study" .....the centers top 2 goals are listed as "reducing climate risk" and "accelerating energy transitions" ......hmmmmmm.    LOL    Stick with Franks in this case ......

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:00 PM »

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:27 PM »
Cornell? What do they know???
I got some grass seed from Cornell and holy crap is the back yard bocce ball Mecca! ;D

To the haters I say:
A growing body of psychology research shows that incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognize their own incompetence. To put it bluntly, dumb people are too dumb to know it.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:36 PM »
The Brown Water has been there as long as the Hemlocks have, it is caused by dissolved Tannins and lignins produced from needle decay of conifers. 

I had the same thoughts about the sponsors of the study.  After Fauci and the covid changes, I trust next to nothing I'm told by the government.  As to Government Science, I worked in government science, and watched an upper management project leader indicate that although the scope of the study specified 11 events, we would capture 15, and then pick the "best 11."  People who are looking to get repeat funding for research generally try to produce the results the funder wants to see. 

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:49 PM »

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:38 PM »
Cornell? What do they know???
I got some grass seed from Cornell and holy crap is the back yard bocce ball Mecca! ;D

To the haters I say:
A growing body of psychology research shows that incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognize their own incompetence. To put it bluntly, dumb people are too dumb to know it.

To the haters of what ??  All I said was to check the information people are giving you and decide for yourself after looking at all the information ........ Another growing body of psychology also says "don't pee down my leg and tell me its raining"......And I got the same result from Walmart grass seed .....but good for you - I sure hope they factored in the climate change into those seeds for you or you're screwed (I guess if they didn't they don't believe it either) ......LOL

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:39 AM »
If you really believe that temperature change is a "global existential threat," don't be wasting energy to drive to some frozen lake to catch a few pounds of perch or sunfish.  That would make you like the person I know who tries to shame me about my pickup truck, but saw nothing incongruous with flying around the country and renting cars to visit as many as she could the National Parks.  One of her plane trips likely had a larger carbon footprint than 10 years of my truck.   If you need something to do, protest the Chinese coal plant building, that seems to escape the notice of Greta and Al and Kerry, while they are jetting all over the place. 

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:08 PM »
If you really believe that temperature change is a "global existential threat," don't be wasting energy to drive to some frozen lake to catch a few pounds of perch or sunfish.  That would make you like the person I know who tries to shame me about my pickup truck, but saw nothing incongruous with flying around the country and renting cars to visit as many as she could the National Parks.  One of her plane trips likely had a larger carbon footprint than 10 years of my truck.   If you need something to do, protest the Chinese coal plant building, that seems to escape the notice of Greta and Al and Kerry, while they are jetting all over the place.

Its just a huge money making scheme - run mostly by liberal groups and individuals (like Al Gore and John Kerry)- that stand to get very rich (if they aren't already) by spreading those lies ........as an example, does anyone really think places like insurance companies would be insuring houses along the coasts if they REALLY believed in the rising sea's and the world ending in 12 years like some of those dummies are saying ....comical....think I'll go out and throw a couple more tires on the fire now .... ;D ;D

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:47 PM »
Its just a huge money making scheme - run mostly by liberal groups and individuals (like Al Gore and John Kerry)- that stand to get very rich (if they aren't already) by spreading those lies ........as an example, does anyone really think places like insurance companies would be insuring houses along the coasts if they REALLY believed in the rising sea's and the world ending in 12 years like some of those dummies are saying ....comical....think I'll go out and throw a couple more tires on the fire now .... ;D ;D
Yes, Al Gore has made $120 million from the global warming hoax. If you can convince people to fear a hoax, you can make money from it.
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.