The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice soon  (Read 4701 times)

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice soon
« on: Oct 30, 2023, 05:06 PM »
Some cold temps to lower those water temperatures. It will be here soon.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice soon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2023, 07:30 PM »
Not sure it can be worst than last year.  New Year's day, 2" 100' out and had lunch on the sandy beach at camp up North.  Worst ice and "catching" conditions I've seen in 20 years, hope it was a fluke

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2023, 07:30 AM »
They are saying the El Nino going to bring record snow and cold. Get the sleds ready and the extensions.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2023, 12:57 PM »
I get a kick out of the fact that we are supposed to believe they can predict more cold and snow a few months out, but can't accurately predict whats going to happen in the next week or two.  hahahahaha.  But either way, bring on the ice.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2023, 01:07 PM »
I get a kick out of the fact that we are supposed to believe they can predict more cold and snow a few months out, but can't accurately predict whats going to happen in the next week or two.  hahahahaha.  But either way, bring on the ice.

Weatherman…the only job in the world where you can be wrong 90% of the time and still be employed!😝
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2023, 11:13 AM »
Weird you couldnt get out in Maine but I got out 38 times last year in Mass.????? And I dont go out until 4" if black ice. Was on 14" in the beginning of April in Mass.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2023, 07:44 PM »
Weird you couldnt get out in Maine but I got out 38 times last year in Mass.????? And I dont go out until 4" if black ice. Was on 14" in the beginning of April in Mass.

Depended a lot on where you went.  Large lakes not so good but smaller protected ones not so bad.  I've fished in Mass and higher up and smaller is better.  Same goes here in Maine. We fished one lake a lot since it froze well but the more desirable lake which is much bigger and about 20 miles away was wide open and never sealed up.  We started with 8 inches and by the last trip had 20 inches.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2023, 08:39 PM »
Jack978 is correct.  I fish a larger lake and target native salmon.  Lots of small ponds froze, I'm just not into "tank" fish, or the warm water species.  Just a personal preference, hoping for a colder year

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2023, 06:50 AM »
It feels a little cooler this November than last. I also noticed that the rainy summer kept the big lakes from warming quite as much as the previous couple of drought years. Keeping the fingers crossed for a cold snap starting Thanksgiving week and lasting until late March.  ;D

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2023, 12:38 PM »
High water levels means winter is coming....hope is a dangerous thing Andy.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I find that lake elevation is much much more important than size. I fished a very large lake into April last year but it is in a very high elevation. I love the sport and had to drive a couple hours daily but still got out 38 times. I just cant sit at home and complain there is no ice when there really is!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2023, 02:05 PM »
Jack978 is correct.  I fish a larger lake and target native salmon.  Lots of small ponds froze, I'm just not into "tank" fish, or the warm water species.  Just a personal preference, hoping for a colder year

Perhaps this year we can all get a shot at some decent ice and the chance to fish for what makes you happy.  The lake that didn't seal up I was referring to was Tunk.  It's hit or miss a lot of years but pretty good for cold water species.   Perhaps this year it will be acceptable ice and we can give it a try.   

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2023, 02:18 PM »
I was North of Chamberlain this weekend.  All the smaller ponds were capped, and even a few down off the Golden Road

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2023, 06:58 PM »
Head north and into the Mts...always ice.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2023, 07:55 AM »
I was North of Chamberlain this weekend.  All the smaller ponds were capped, and even a few down off the Golden Road

I'm headed up to camp this weekend. Hope it doesn't warm up too much, it's no fun hunting deer in the rain.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2023, 02:28 PM »
This morning the cove in front of my house was iced over.  It's not going to last but a good sign since it is earlier that the last few years.   Perhaps we will have a decent ice year.  I know a few people who wouldn't mind that.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2023, 05:20 AM »
A couple small ponds I checked yesterday were locked up with a skim. Probably gone today. Been a few years since I could get on ice this week. Temps are moving slowly in the right direction. Hope things lock up sooner than last year!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2023, 06:58 PM »
Watching with anticipation back in southwest NH. That 4 years I spent in ME ruined me. I could always get out on a certain pond in Oxford County in the 1st week of December.

Probably going to be January down here the way things are these days.

Good luck and be safe. I've fished 2 inches and it's dumb guys. Wait till you have 4 inches black or at least don't go over your head till then.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2023, 07:53 PM »
Hello again fellow Mainers. Patiently waiting and not getting my hopes up because of the bulls hit last year we had. Also trying to stay optimistic.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2023, 04:15 PM »
Hello again fellow Mainers. Patiently waiting and not getting my hopes up because of the bulls hit last year we had. Also trying to stay optimistic.
Just checked a small pond. No go!! About 3” of soft ice. Could tell it has been melting all day. Won’t fare well with the warm rain tonight
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2023, 10:19 PM »
It's here...sub zero temps, two days in a row...very nice start...get the auger extensions ready for February!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2023, 10:24 PM »
anything happening in dresden in the river?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2023, 05:46 AM »
Gonna get all my batteries charged up! May not need the Strikemaster 40v right off, but it shall be ready! New line on the jig rods is next!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2023, 03:37 PM »
anything happening in dresden in the river?

River capped overnight, but 50° and heavy rain coming.   Probably 2 weeks at least

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2023, 11:10 AM »
Someone fished at the boat ramp on Upper Range yesterday. Brave souls.
I didn't check the ice but I doubt it's even 3" yet.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2023, 06:44 PM »
Ive been ready a month , now it looks like another month for sure!!

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2023, 06:35 AM »
After Monday, the temps drop up North.  Heading up on the 12th, will give a report.  Got the wife a pair of float bibs this year, hope she doesn't test them ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2023, 08:42 AM »
After Monday, the temps drop up North.  Heading up on the 12th, will give a report.  Got the wife a pair of float bibs this year, hope she doesn't test them ;D

Supposed to join a group in Jackman that same weekend, I'm not convinced there are enough cold temps forcasted even for then for good ice. :tipup:

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2023, 02:15 PM »
I will be in Jackman that weekend too...with my floatbibs...should be ok

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.