Author Topic: NEW GEAR FOR 2023/2024 ICE SEASON  (Read 29669 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: NEW GEAR FOR 2023/2024 ICE SEASON
« Reply #120 on: Dec 05, 2023, 07:00 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #122 on: Dec 06, 2023, 11:55 AM »
$130 minnow bucket and need to buy an aerator yet!!  :woot: :cookoo:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 06, 2023, 07:05 PM »
Good lord I can buy a yeti cooler and aerator for half that!
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Dec 07, 2023, 06:09 AM »
Good lord I can buy a yeti cooler and aerator for half that!

I don't think so. You can't even buy a Yeti Tumbler for $50  :)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #125 on: Dec 07, 2023, 03:47 PM »
From Mr Heater

https://www.facebook.com/FuelKeg

Fuel Keg is launching January 2024  🎉
Embrace the future with refillable propane tanks created by the team at Mr. Heater!  Fuel Kegs can be used anywhere that standard 1 lb. tanks are used.
Join the conservation revolution and help us build a sustainable future!
♻️ Reduce waste, save the environment
💰 Save money by refilling your tanks
✅ Safe, quick, and easy to use

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 07, 2023, 06:47 PM »
Ooh

For a low, low price I'm sure, right?

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:21 PM »
From Mr Heater

Embrace the future with refillable propane tanks created by the team at Mr. Heater!  Fuel Kegs can be used anywhere that standard 1 lb. tanks are used.

With all the advances in battery technology, I wonder if an electric portable heater for ice fishing is in the near future? It would be so nice not to be hauling out that 20lb propane bottle on the sled, or paying whatever ridiculous price they're going to charge for a few "fuel kegs"(gotta have at least 2 or 3, right?.)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:35 PM »
With all the advances in battery technology, I wonder if an electric portable heater for ice fishing is in the near future? It would be so nice not to be hauling out that 20lb propane bottle on the sled, or paying whatever ridiculous price they're going to charge for a few "fuel kegs"(gotta have at least 2 or 3, right?.)

Long way from electric heaters on ice unless you count heated clothes. "Fuel kegs" can't be much different than the flame king refillables.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Ooh

For a low, low price I'm sure, right?

Mr. Heater commented on the Facebook post that they'll be $17.99 - $19.99.  In line with the Flame King ones.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 08, 2023, 07:56 AM »
Long way from electric heaters on ice unless you count heated clothes.
Seems like only a few years ago we were saying that about electric augers.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Dec 08, 2023, 08:52 AM »
True, but producing heat takes a ton more electricity.

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Dec 08, 2023, 03:43 PM »
https://geteskimo.com/products/mammoth-live-bait-bucket?_pos=4&_sid=59562669b&_ss=r

Yeah, that's a hard pass for me. Wowza. $130 and you still have to buy an aerator. Must be going after the Yeti market.
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Dec 08, 2023, 07:47 PM »
Seems like only a few years ago we were saying that about electric augers.

Maybe, but we have had "working" electric augers for decades. My old Electra auger must have been from the early 2000's, if not the 90's. It worked every bit as good as any electric auger I've seen today, maybe better than some. The catch is you needed a 50+ pound car battery to run it. The big change was the batteries. Lithum Ion batteries both allow the capacity needed, and work ok in the cold, while also being a reasonable size. The battery augers still cost more, and are weaker than gas augers. It's just that most people realized they didn't need all that power.

As of now, I'm not aware of a single battery heater that puts out any reasonable amount of heat, and even if it did, it wouldn't last long. Our battery's just aren't there yet. According to Google, for whatever that's worth, 1 Watts is equivalent to 3.412 BTU. So for even a low end propane heater of 10,000 BTU, which I don't even consider that hot, that would take just under 3000 Watts. That is a pretty serious load to be putting on a battery. At 12 VDC, that works out to be 250 amps. As a 120 VAC, that is 25 amps, and I doubt such a unit exists. Most likely such a heater is for commercial/garage use, and is for 240V, if not 480V. At 240 VAC it would be 12.5 amps. For example, a car might draw 300 amps off a 12v battery when starting, maybe a bit more.

If we do some quick math and assume no losses from anything, lets compare a couple of Dakota lithium batteries. They offer a monster 12 V battery with a 560 ah capacity. It is also 117 pounds and $4700. Anyway, 12 VDC, 250 amps, it would run a 3000 Watt heater about 2 hours 14 minutes. They also offer 48 V batteries. At 48 VDC, amp draw should go down to 62.8 Amps. The biggest 48 V battery Dakota has is 96 ah and 77 pounds. 48 VDC, 62.8 amps, should run about 1 hours 31 minutes... and it's also $2700.

We are a LONG way off from a 100% battery powered heater that is worth anything.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 08, 2023, 08:25 PM »

One thing to look into is diesel heaters. The heat itself comes from burning diesel, but the fuel pump and fan are run by battery. I have not played with them yet, but apparently they are quite efficient. These are a little trickier to calculate since they don't run the battery at a constant state like an all electric heater would. The pump only runs when needed, and while the fan might turn off when up to set temp, if ice fishing, it might just run nonstop. I'm seeing numbers that the smaller units use under an amp on average. One sources says 1 ah. In theory, a Milwaukee or Dewalt 5ah battery should run that for 5 hours. If you built that diesel heater as a unit run from 2 or 3 drill batteries you might have something. You might not even need extra diesel for a day trip depending on the size of your tank. I can't find a good source that says how much fuel they use, looks like 2.5 liters should last most of a day, which is nothing. Definitely more efficient than propane.

The benefits I see to something like this, assuming I could package it in a reasonable size, is that you get cheaper more efficient heat, It would take up less shelter space, and next to no safety concerns (within reason). They take up less space inside a shack because they don't have to be inside. You simply vent the hot air into the shack. Since you aren't heating directly from the flame, you are getting straight hot air. No CO, no consuming oxygen, no smells, you could close all your doors and windows, no venting needed. All the exhaust from the combustion is vented away from the hut (still make sure it's downwind of you). As long as you don't smoke around it while you fill it up like a moron, you shouldn't be able to kill yourself with this unit unless you commit suicide and vent the exhaust into your shack.
-Tom

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 08, 2023, 08:41 PM »
Mr. Heater commented on the Facebook post that they'll be $17.99 - $19.99.  In line with the Flame King ones.

Man at that price I'm sold 3 times over

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:00 PM »
From Mr Heater

I don't deal with 1lb tanks. What does this do that other refillable 1 lb tanks haven't been doing for years?
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:04 PM »

I'd want more like 6 or 8 of them, but that still only about $120-$160. Not the end of the world, less than most batteries. They also make 5 and 10/11 pound tanks for about half that cost. They are way easier to deal with than 20 lb.
-Tom

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:15 PM »
I don't deal with 1lb tanks. What does this do that other refillable 1 lb tanks haven't been doing for years?

"Tool less" the flame king require an Allen wrench new one doesn't. They'll sell just off of buddy heater brand loyalty

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Dec 08, 2023, 10:25 PM »
I'd want more like 6 or 8 of them, but that still only about $120-$160. Not the end of the world, less than most batteries. They also make 5 and 10/11 pound tanks for about half that cost. They are way easier to deal with than 20 lb.

I bought an 11 lb tank about tem years ago.  A great investment. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Dec 13, 2023, 11:00 AM »
Similar to the Eskimo bag

https://www.amazon.com/Palmyth-Fishing-Storage-Pockets-Transporter/dp/B0CLB4G9L4/ref=sr_1_7?m=A1W8SITJ3I88ND&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1702467226&s=merchant-items&sr=1-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d&th=1
Looks like it has some extra pockets, but the strap is on the top, it doesn't look like you can carry it on your back like I do with the Eskimo bag. They show it in a photo on Amazon on a guy's back, but if you look close, the bag is photoshopped into the pic, and the strap isn't attached to the rings.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Dec 14, 2023, 12:06 PM »
Thanks for keeping up on all the new gear coming out.  I'm finding my self coming back to this thread every morning hoping that you've found something new!

Keep it up

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #144 on: Dec 14, 2023, 02:05 PM »
Thanks for keeping up on all the new gear coming out.  I'm finding my self coming back to this thread every morning hoping that you've found something new!

Keep it up

So far the NEW gear I picked up ...the Otter SideKick Mini ..the Eskimo seat organizer...A Lakco shelter anchor all for my Eskimo Sierra .

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #145 on: Dec 14, 2023, 02:50 PM »
If we haven't pointed it out yet...Jigging Rap Magnum...No nose hook.

Size 7 = 2" 3/4
weight: 1+1/8th oz. 

Sounds heavy when compared to original Jigging rap W7 at 5/8th oz. or even the W9 at 7/8th oz.

Personally I wish they should make it with a rear treble attachment instead.
For more information read my MN nice journal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Dec 14, 2023, 10:17 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Size 7 = 2" 3/4
weight: 1+1/8th oz. 

Sounds heavy when compared to original Jigging rap W7 at 5/8th oz. or even the W9 at 7/8th oz.

Personally I wish they should make it with a rear treble attachment instead.

I'm not sure if heavier is good or bad, or if it even matters. I love jigging raps, but they don't hold up all that well, so they are kind of consumable after a dozen fish. I wish they would come out with an ultra magnum version with extra heavy hooks, and a heavier duty tail. I don't care about the front hook at all, I don't think I've ever hooked a fish with the front ever. Bigger too. The W9 jigging rap is great. 2 3/4" is pretty small for big walleye and any pike, but it works.
-Tom

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #147 on: Dec 15, 2023, 01:33 AM »
I'm not sure if heavier is good or bad, or if it even matters. I love jigging raps, but they don't hold up all that well, so they are kind of consumable after a dozen fish. I wish they would come out with an ultra magnum version with extra heavy hooks, and a heavier duty tail. I don't care about the front hook at all, I don't think I've ever hooked a fish with the front ever. Bigger too. The W9 jigging rap is great. 2 3/4" is pretty small for big walleye and any pike, but it works.

This new magnum version is encased in a plastic shell like the Jigging Shad Rap.  Those tails shouldn't be falling off anytime.  Since it's so much wider in body, it doesn't have the full heavy feel of lead.  I wonder if it's made of a zinc alloy inside instead.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icehmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Dec 15, 2023, 08:03 AM »
Looks like it has some extra pockets, but the strap is on the top, it doesn't look like you can carry it on your back like I do with the Eskimo bag. They show it in a photo on Amazon on a guy's back, but if you look close, the bag is photoshopped into the pic, and the strap isn't attached to the rings.

Would love to have some cases more like the Eskimo ones. a 6 rod option would be awesome.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #149 on: Dec 15, 2023, 08:56 AM »

I like this, not having the option of hooking the ice with the front hook is a great idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.